SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take words of the band members at face value ... Adam said the same thing in October 2013 about finishing SOI before Christmas (2013) ... when was SOI released? September 2014

U2 aim to finish work on new album in November - Uncut

Good point, who knows if they'll even meet this deadline or not...

What could give us an insight is how they appear to be working over the next couple of months. As in, if there are lots of vacation photos as there were this summer, that could suggest they're only doing mixing, and minimal work is required. If they seem to be in the studio a lot, perhaps significant changes are happening (making a march target less likely). If we see/hear news of them with a new producer, then we're fucked etc

The fact that U2 handed something they didn't know what to do with to Kygo, doesn't mean it was finished. Nor does it mean that it will ever be finished and published. They could very well have decided that TBT should be a collaboration, a one off. It could also end up on SOE. We don't know. But we might know more after Kygo's show and release.

The Kygo mix won't be on SOE, at least not the one he played earlier.

Kygo specifically stated he produced around it, or however he worded it, but it wasn't a back and forth collaboration of u2 asking Kygo to help shape or produce the song.

I'm CERTAIN both versions of TBT we've heard are Kygo remixes.

It makes zero sense that U2 would play their own (unfinished) version and then play a Kygo remix.

How would that conversation go? Bono: "hey Edge, come over here a minute. I've got Kygo's remix of The Best Thing for us to listen to. But FIRST I'm gonna play that shit version we've already heard hundreds of times but didn't like"

Surely they were just listening to a couple of different mixes that Kygo sent them.

There was no DJ production on the first one. Who knows who their audience was, maybe they were playing different versions for someone who hasn't been in the studio with them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So at the moment we are looking at 18 months between tour legs... is it still the same tour? I'm sure no one has had a gap that big before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I thought it was really weird to take a full calendar year off from a tour and then continue with....the same tour name. Now that it will be at least ~18 months it's just really odd, especially because it's not like dates were sold and then had to be rescheduled due to an accident.

At this point the name is arbitrary, if I'm U2 I just name the next leg ZooTV and they can pad their tour stats a little ;)

ZooTV 2017!!!

I thought it was really weird to take a full calendar year off from a tour and then continue with....the same tour name. Now that it will be at least ~18 months it's just really odd, especially because it's not like dates were sold and then had to be rescheduled due to an accident.

At this point the name is arbitrary

They could have easily continued the tour without another album, which would have made the tour name arbitrary. Obviously they decided to remain committed to the original theme. I respect that more than continuing without SOE.

This may have been already mentioned but in the current rolling stone magazine there is a story about the chainsmokers with this tidbit about U2 -' they got word from Ryan Tedder that Bono liked their stuff too. And so it happened that Bono "rolled up to our studio, all by himself," Taggart says, "and played us some new U2 music. We played him some of our new stuff, and with this one song, he was like, 'That's great – will you send that to me?' Which was so sick." '

I can't see this type of song (Bono singing on a chainsmokers tune) and the Kygo song being on SOE, but this continues a current trend of EDM-style tunes mixed with U2 for a potential album down the road.

The Kygo mix won't be on SOE, at least not the one he played earlier.

Kygo specifically stated he produced around it, or however he worded it, but it wasn't a back and forth collaboration of u2 asking Kygo to help shape or produce the song.
I agree. When talking about the possibility of TBT being on SOE I was referring to another version of the song. Again, it's totally possible that they decided to make it a one off and only release Kygo's mix (indepedently of other versions existing). My point is just that as far as TBT is concerned I wouldn't rule out anything.

Break with the tradition another time u2! Release a quick follow-up (as mentioned by the band in 2014, 12-18 months!). Why another record with (only) 12 songs, release a liveversion of the album simultaniously and don't tour this album but get back to the studio and complete SOA finally..... Man, I can't stand those empty statements. They "ve become a boring and dull band. .....

Break with the tradition another time u2! Release a quick follow-up (as mentioned by the band in 2014, 12-18 months!). Why another record with (only) 12 songs, release a liveversion of the album simultaniously and don't tour this album but get back to the studio and complete SOA finally..... Man, I can't stand those empty statements. They "ve become a boring and dull band. .....

Yet none of this(the parts I can comprehend) excites me.

Interesting comment from adam saying they have been humming and haring if the album is finished or not.

So that means they changed plans got insecure about the release. So much indecision

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

So we could have a new U2 album right now. But No

Interesting comment from adam saying they have been humming and haring if the album is finished or not.

So that means they changed plans got insecure about the release. So much indecision

So we could have a new U2 album right now. But No

Finished does not mean release date, so let's not make such a silly assumption.

The Fly is still one of my faves of any artist or genre...it's just a killer tune.

I think my disappointment all stems from the fact that they did 2 recent gigs with no new material AND not even an announcement of a new album release date....nothing at all.

I was of the belief that the 2 gigs were the beginning of the U2 marketing blitz. I mean, they are so legendary and can pick and choose whatever performances they want or none at all.

I was excited and now i am crestfallen. :sad:

The Fly is still one of my faves of any artist or genre...it's just a killer tune.

I think my disappointment all stems from the fact that they did 2 recent gigs with no new material AND not even an announcement of a new album release date....nothing at all.

I was of the belief that the 2 gigs were the beginning of the U2 marketing blitz. I mean, they are so legendary and can pick and choose whatever performances they want or none at all.

I was excited and now i am crestfallen. :sad:

To be fair, there's a good chance these 2 gigs were booked with the assumption that there'd be a new album to promote. If plans changed, they probably couldn't back out of the shows, so they just did standard sets with nothing new to show.

It's a little like taking an ad out in the Superbowl, and playing on Jimmy Fallon... Only to disappear for another 6-8 months.

I think the only thing on the horizon is their paid gig at the Agricultural Equipment Manufacturer's Convention in Vegas and the upcoming Clinton fundraising single "I'm With Her (There is no end to leaks)" (w/Kate Perry).

Last edited:
To be fair, there's a good chance these 2 gigs were booked with the assumption that there'd be a new album to promote. If plans changed, they probably couldn't back out of the shows, so they just did standard sets with nothing new to show.

It's a little like taking an ad out in the Superbowl, and playing on Jimmy Fallon... Only to disappear for another 6-8 months.

To be perfectly blunt: This seems to be a d!ck move on U2s part...We'll play your gig and we'll have new music...create lots of buzz for the both us.

Wait, no we won't. We'll just play hits from the 80s, a song or two from our last album, and bash Trump...that cool?

To be perfectly blunt: This seems to be a d!ck move on U2s part...We'll play your gig and we'll have new music...create lots of buzz for the both us.

Wait, no we won't. We'll just play hits from the 80s, a song or two from our last album, and bash Trump...that cool?

Let's not pretend there was any premise of new music going into that gig. IHeart couldn't care less if there was new music or not.

All of that was built up here and in our heads, there was no dick move here.

Nah. Anyone is lucky and happy to just get U2 to play their gig. And, to use your term, let's be blunt: very few people in those kind of gigs care about new U2 songs anyway. If anything, it's the warhorses that they want to hear, to the extent that they're paying attention at all.

I think the only thing on the horizon is their paid gig at the Agricultural Equipment Manufacturer's Convention in Vegas and the upcoming Clinton fundraising single "I'm With Her (There is no end to leaks)" (w/Kate Perry).

not even remotely funny - try harder

Let's not pretend there was any premise of new music going into that gig. IHeart couldn't care less if there was new music or not.

All of that was built up here and in our heads, there was no dick move here.

I don't know about that...perhaps from iHeart's perspective this could be true.

But what about U2's side of it? What did they gain by doing the shows? They don't need to do 2 gigs in the U.S. for no reason. Do you think they wanted to play "One" or "Desire" for the millionth time in front of a bunch of kids and non-U2 fans? They don't need the money. They don't need additional time away from their families. Clearly the don't need time away from the studio. I just don't see why they played.

If the reason is that both U2 and iHeart expected them to play new material or at the very least proclaim that the new album will be out in November, i can see the mutual benefit. And if that was the case and U2 had no new music to play, it just seems in poor taste.

I remember Bono saying we might see something in Sept/October. Do you things we'll see something by the end of the month ? It would come out of nowhere...

I don't know about that...perhaps from iHeart's perspective this could be true.

But what about U2's side of it? What did they gain by doing the shows? They don't need to do 2 gigs in the U.S. for no reason. Do you think they wanted to play "One" or "Desire" for the millionth time in front of a bunch of kids and non-U2 fans? They don't need the money. They don't need additional time away from their families. Clearly the don't need time away from the studio. I just don't see why they played.

If the reason is that both U2 and iHeart expected them to play new material or at the very least proclaim that the new album will be out in November, i can see the mutual benefit. And if that was the case and U2 had no new music to play, it just seems in poor taste.

Poor taste? Dick move? What are you talking about?

You can't say it was a dick move and then talk about how U2 didn't get anything out of it. That doesn't make sense.

I'm sure when originally booked U2 was hoping they might have something to promote. But there was never any expectation from iHeart, and there certainly wasn't anything said by the band to give you any real expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom