SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have done without Elevation.

Yeah me too, but I find that elevation really gets a lot of casual fans jumping up and down, so maybe not a terrible idea. Terrible for us, maybe not for the night.

I actually listened to a stream by the Sil or whatever girl on my way to work, and man does she sing. I mean not well, but it was basically a broadcast of her singing with Bono and Edge providing the back-up vocals and Larry and Adam asked to take a walk. So I didn't really know what was good or bad. Listened up to the opening notes of ISHFWILF, which somehow signalled to me that there was nothing new coming, and then I reached work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I echo other people that if they're really not confident in playing the new song yet, it's good they didn't. After the Apple fiasco, can you imagine if they unveiled the next album by performing the lead single, and playing it terribly?

It's really a question now of whether they just need more time for mixing/finishing touches, or are going back to the drawing board.

It's just disappointing but not surprising. No, they never promised an album this year but all signs, from the announcement of the tour, its name, its original format where they were talking of playing two nights in a city with totally different setlists and feel each night... then the usual talk of a quick SOE with them recording on tour etc.

Maybe they should just keep these great ideas and things under their hat until they're absolutely sure they're going to do it. Just reminded me of the Songs of Ascent chat.

And the iHeart thing just seemed pointless. Not to mention mixed reports from people saying how bad some of the songs were.

What's the chances of them going to Cleveland, crashing U240 & busting out The Best Thing for fans? :shifty:

I am actually not holding out any hope for Dreamforce, not because I am utterly disappointed that they didn't play a new song at iHeart, but simply because they didn't play a new song at iHeart.

U2 may be flaky when it comes to talking about release dates for an album, but they are an utterly professional live act. Them not playing anything new tells me that they didn't plan to play anything new. I understand they are not the best musicians, but not being able to play TBT is a stretch too far. They rehearsed warhorses and played warhorses IMO.

So dreamforce is not going to be it, because if a platform was needed for new music to be debuted it was iHeart and a radio tie-in. If they didn't play it at iHeart, they won't at Dreamforce. But if you look at my post history regarding predictions of what U2 may or may not do, you will see that I don't know shit.

Pride and One were surprisingly good last night. And it's pretty clear that the social/political climate of the US, at the moment, further intensified the experience of these songs.

did they spend those 12 hours rehearsing Bono's speeches? they sound quite thought through.

Last edited:
Now that the dust has settled, it does seem to me that this gig and the Dreamforce event were baked into the deals they made before the IE tour. They likely tried to get their shit together to use the publicity to launch at least a single, but needed more time so they instead went low key and rolled out warhorses.

No big deal, we all know they want to make a big splash with the new album and they just weren't ready. I'm sure we'll hear something by the end of Q1.

if they had truly wanted to have a single ready for this event, they surely could have spent the time in the studio and worked hard to make it happen. they clearly preferred to spend their time on the beach rather than focus on their careers, though.

it's not a matter of "oh well, it's just not ready cause they want it to be good". they were lazy and wasted a golden marketing opportunity (yet again). it's undeniably a major failure from a business perspective.

the work ethic of this band truly has evaporated to the point where i wonder if they even really care anymore.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm.... is it all a matter of perspective?

After watching the better quality Youtube Clips I have to admit that I really like Desire, One and Pride

I gotta be honest (and I'll predicate this by saying I'm not the "meltdown" type and am as die-hard a U2 fan as has ever lived, but this performance was as boring and "been there done that" as anything I've ever seen. It had all the energy of senior citizens crooning at 3 a.m.

Perhaps it was partly because I, like many, was all geared up for a new guitar on Christmas morning, but all that was under the tree was the old train set I've had for 20 years. But my entire body was drenched in disappointment watching this. Even the political injections were paint-by-number and redundant.

I know I'm in that bitter shadow today, but I could care less what they're doing now. Another extended vacation with vague references to something maybe happening six months out doesn't do it for me anymore. They'll over-cook some mediocre thing for a year from now and sell us more $300 tickets to watch them mail it in on cue. And with each passing day, my "give-a-f***" meter fades.

Wow catching up now. I listened live on surround sound radio and thought they sounded great! Aside from Bono's obvious vocal issues during Elevation they really were in fine form. One, Pride and Desire were excellent.

I think the disappointment in the performance was stemming from (unwarranted) disappointment in the setlist. But by all accounts the reactions I saw on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram were overwhelmingly positive. People were happy to hear these hits and the band played the hell out of them. U2 are legends and I don't think anyone but some grumps here thought any different afterwards.

I'll probably dip out of obsessively checking here for a little while too, but the mass outrage here is entirely unwarranted. I was disappointed about the 2017 news and genuinely expected to hear The Best Thing, but last night was not the disaster AT ALL that I read about in here.

I must agree, the audio and now the video, proves to me that last night was not a disappointment at all for me. I hate to say it, but reading the comments of these threads almost ruined it for me by tainting my impression of the whole gig. Every one is entitled to their own opinion obviously, and I wholly understand inquiring minds debating marketing strategy and setlists etc, but there was so much doom and gloom dissing the band.
Fans get emotional, and I'm sorry if some were expecting different, but it's THEIR band/music/business/lives. Yes, we can be fans of it and follow closely, but allow them to have their own Vision over our Visability. They should do things like releases/announcements/tours/vacations when they feel like and what suits their owns lives, not ours. We may view it as missed opportunities, but imagine in ur own lives would you like a back seat driver constantly telling you what you should have done instead. I know that I personally make decisions putting my own family time for instance, ahead of what outsides would think is ideal for my career. I think these 4 men should do the same if they wish, for whatever reasons they wish.

if they had truly wanted to have a single ready for this event, they surely could have spent the time in the studio and worked hard to make it happen. they clearly preferred to spend their time on the beach rather than focus on their careers, though.

it's not a matter of "oh well, it's just not ready cause they want it to be good". they were lazy and wasted a golden marketing opportunity (yet again). it's undeniably a major failure from a business perspective.

the work ethic of this band truly has evaporated to the point where i wonder if they even really care anymore.

You have to see there is some sort of assumption you are making there. If they truly wanted to have a single ready for this album... is there actually any official report that the band wanted to. An equal degree of speculation is to ask, what if they had other plans all along?

Nowhere else but on internet message boards are people even a little mad at u2 for what happened yesterday, and we have no official reason to be. We can sure form opinions by making inferences from their actions, doesn't mean they are right.

Unless of course there was official news that they were looking to play or release a new song at iHeart.

And I am one of those desperately hoping, and had even talked myself into saying that a new song was a near cert, and some kind of release a cert. I disappointed because it was a letdown, but in no way am I certain that the band are to blame.

Other than talking about the next album as soon as they released the first one, that is.

https://youtu.be/5EmLx8a3kjM

I didnt stay up or anything last night,in fact the gig finished here in the uk probaly about 15 minutes before i woke up for the day ahead. I read all the comments on here and alot of people were saying it was a bad performance and Bonos voice was shot.

Is it me but watching these back apart from the woo woos in elevation which isnt the first time thats happened Bonos voice sounds pretty good.

Looks a really solid performance to me

I can't help but think of u2 months ago agreeing to this performance thinking "ok sure, it will be cool to do an unexpected show like that for no promo reasoning, even though we'll be deep in album mixing by that point and have to end our family holidays a little early, it'll be a fun surprise for the fans to see us do a one off show like that in between official tours"

And then instead of appreshing it for what it was, the fan reaction they get is....this thread. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom