SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love everybody acting as if U2 have only just become a Rolling Stones-esque dinosaur act. The last time they had a single that anybody beyond the fandom gave a shit about was twelve years ago. The 360 Tour was the sound of a great hulking dinosaur stomping down in the biggest cities of (almost) every continent.

This is why I have said for some time that I'd rather they just tour and play whatever shit than keep trying to schedule tours in the eighties mould of supporting a new album.

They have become Rolling Stones. And I'm actually really sad because of it. I would even say that their 40th anniversary would be a perfect time to call it a day... quit when you're winning.

This is pretty close to how I feel today too.

Oddly, as I lay in bed half asleep, I actually liked what I heard... the first couple of songs sounded fresh with some new arrangements or something, and then came some speeches which made me wonder, is the headline going to be how much Bono dislikes Donald or about U2's set?

What confuses me is how bad do they really want it?

This gig was planned for quite awhile, yet they were on vacation for what six weeks this summer? They've been teasing SOE for quite some time too... and again, where's the actual work to get it done?

I mean didn't' we learn of a new song, because they WERE on vacation for gosh sakes?

I realize it's not right of me to judge someone else's work ethic, but it seems a bit fair as a long-time fan, who has given up his 500 pounds and then some, to at lease ask the rhetorical question, "are you serious about the new music"??

Cuz if so, I'm sill along for the ride. If not, I'm probably not going to stick around if you go all Rolling Stones dinosaur act... I won't see the Stones tour like that, and I won't see U2 tour like that... and candidly, didn't at one point Bono suggest they never wanted to become that... without naming the Stones of course?

These ups and downs the past few years make it hard to stay as invested which is sad in a way because like your next beach vacation, having something U2 related to look forward to helps the normal days go by a bit.

I am curious about feedback from fans that were actually in the venue last night... how did the crowd react? How many left before or during the set and so on.

From what I heard, whoever was in the building was likely a U2 fan cuz the sing along parts worked well and it seemed genuinely loud with applause / support... though who knows, they could have mixed in fan noise with the stream.

I'm disappointed, a bit, but realistic enough to know last night's "outcome" was very possible.

The 360 Tour was the sound of a great hulking dinosaur stomping down in the biggest cities of (almost) every continent.

This is why I have said for some time that I'd rather they just tour and play whatever shit than keep trying to schedule tours in the eighties mould of supporting a new album.

True but 7 million people is an awful lot. This likely gave their 'relevance' ego s huge kick. Perhaps an artificial one since as you say Vertigo (the single I assume you referred to) was a long time ago.

Wish they'd just accept where they are now. The relevance is gone. Write some songs that they are happy with and release them.

Lol why play the concert then? It must have been booked as a vehicle for launching something. Can't think of any other credible reason.

They play this show then Iheart play whatever they release down the line

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Still baffles me the position some are in with the band but yet have continued to post on a regular basis for years, hell I still consider myself a big fan but don't post as much as those who have fell out with them

True but 7 million people is an awful lot. This likely gave their 'relevance' ego s huge kick. Perhaps an artificial one since as you say Vertigo (the single I assume you referred to) was a long time ago.

Wish they'd just accept where they are now. The relevance is gone. Write some songs that they are happy with and release them.

Yeah I was referring to Vertigo. Lots of people went to the Vertigo Tour because they were excited about the big single, and even then the motivation was shifting to classic rock band territory. Nobody who wasn't going already decided to attend 360 because Boots got their blood pumping. Safe to say U2 probably misinterpreted the meaning of 360's numbers, because a large chunk of that attendance was on the same premise as the Rolling Stones. "Oh that big famous rock band is in town, let's go see them play those hits we like from a decade or two ago!"

I get the feeling this is a band that's either lacking in motivation or not comfortable in their own musical skin. Or both.

Still baffles me the position some are in with the band but yet have continued to post on a regular basis for years, hell I still consider myself a big fan but don't post as much as those who have fell out with them

I'm not here for the U2 parts of the forum, let me tell you that. Haven't been for years.

I bet that, more than us, u2 aren't very happy with themselves these days.

Maybe it showed in last night's performance

So...first off...i like beer.

Second...

U2 apparently played the i :heart: festival and did not play any new music from its supposedly impending album that was initially announced 2 years ago and people are either surprised or freaking out?

That seems a bit funny to me, as it fits well into the current U2 we have come to know. I suspect there are worse things that are happening in the world today so all i can say is, keep your chin up U2 fans, don't despair, if you are reading this post (which i am sure nobody is) or better yet this forum today, life is good. You are still among the living and that should be good enough.

Take time to pet a puppy or pick a flower for someone you love. And if after that you still have a broken heart about U2 then perhaps a good ole fashioned bender is in order for you.

I've seen the other side this year. And. I want U2 to go the way of Pearl Jam. Play live shows strictly for the diehard fans. Release new music for your fans. Don't give a shit about anyone else but your fans. There's enough of us out there still. I think. I hope.

Even Springsteen seems to be in this mode. He plays for 4 hours so he can do both. Play the hits AND the rarities.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
So if SOE isn't ready yet then what the hell are the DJs like Skrillex, Kygo, etc working on?? I wish they would just release EPs these days and go on tour every once in awhile. That way we get more music and they can go on just as many vacations.

Also, if musicians can create entire albums on a laptop in a hotel room these days what does this say about them? They've become Rocky in Rocky 3. They need a good training montage to get back into it.

how could things unfold this way?

Prepping for a fall 2016 release... booking iHeart to maybe start promotion.... getting together in LA, rehearsing new material but coming to the conclusion that the result is not satisfying. So lets rather play a safe set.

They might not like the live arrangement of a new song they tried but maybe this song is still ready for release soon.

I could imagine that there is some tension between the band members right now

Probably didnt want to debut any new material at 11pm pacific/2am eastern time.

I posted this in the last thread before realizing this one was opened.... I seldom post here but I've lurked often in the past 15 years. Don't want to be a downer, but as a one time massive fan who has defended the band in countless arguments I feel last night's performance helped me realize that the detractors were often right. Or at the very least, this band has become what many of them said they were. As a counterpoint, Billy Idol played a greatest hits set too but the man was in good voice and was very entertaining. Absent Miley's ridiculous profanity (even Billy Idol seemed uncomfortable with it) it was a pretty damn good performance start to finish. On the other hand, I'm afraid that U2 as we know them are done, they were the greatest for a long time, but now even their grey beard contemporaries are showing them up. Watch some recent Duran Duran, Cure, and Depeche Mode performances and you may feel the same way.
I sure hope I'm wrong, I quite like SOI, But after all the talk and anticipation that was a letdown. Hopefully the boys accept it as a reality check and really up their game... Being the best or just a great band is a full time job.

Back to the present... Having read all the posts here I feel like reiterating that this is not a "meltdown", I will always have the back catalogue and will be a fan. But I sure as hell won't stay up later than I'd like to watch a u2 performance. I really think this is different from the other "let downs" it almost feels like they are taking their fans for granted.

My thoughts:

Predictable. Made me realize that U2 definitely can't do these one-off/festival-type appearances, and that their search for "relevancy" is over. I thought that if they wanted to keep some of the younger fans there, they should've opened with something like Streets. Still a thirty year old rock song, but something special to get them going. Opening with Desire, Vertigo and Elevation didn't do that.

At this stage, they should just release music they're happy with, play longer shows with more varied set lists, and as I saw someone say last night, please the fans they have instead of trying to get fans that they don't have.

I also don't consider this a meltdown. It's a reality check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom