So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice! much better than the old version
Definitely. The original is a bit too saccharine in comparison, IMO. I'm actually really enjoying this piece.

Having said that (/Curb Your Enthusiasm), I do miss that strumming from the Edge, along with Bono's falsetto (ooooh oooooooh). I do appreciate that U2 toned down the song and made it less bombastic - and I'll be damned, from the rough quality clip earlier I mentioned Bono sounded a bit rough, but after listening to "Winter" in a proper quality, he sounds fine to me.

Good song... better than THTBA, anyway (which I also mildly enjoy).

U2 really turned this song around. There were aspects I enjoyed from the demo and, while not everything I liked carried over to Winter 2.0, I do feel it is vastly superior - it has its own identity, now.

My thoughts ...

Positives:
- Music is in general better
- Improved conclusion
- No "to protect the ones, we put bullets in guns" lyric

Negatives:
- Bono's singing is truly terrible; the original had a much better take
- Still has that rubbish "butter on toast" lyric

On balance, I favour the original, I think. I'd like the original vocal take paired with the new music. And for the "butter on toast" to be tossed in the bin.

The Linear version has more pep to it. Larry sounds particularly much better. And the ending is much more powerful. Bono's voice is raw but it fits the urgency of the song.

They should have just polished the lyric, removed the Coldplayesque opening strings and released it in Brothers. The new version is tepid. The original version has some guts.

Neither version makes for a classic U2 song, but the Linear version works on so many more levels.

Mikal was the first person to ever send me a song on Interference. He is a good man

I'll eat a very small quantity of crow; the structure has been hugely improved and most everything not involving Bono singing is quite pretty. The song still lacks a hook, wanders somewhat, and the vocals are awful, but it's definitely an improvement. 6/10 from 3/10 sounds good.

The Linear version has more pep to it. Larry sounds particularly much better. And the ending is much more powerful. Bono's voice is raw but it fits the urgency of the song.

They should have just polished the lyric, removed the Coldplayesque opening strings and released it in Brothers. The new version is tepid. The original version has some guts.

Neither version makes for a classic U2 song, but the Linear version works on so many more levels.

Doesn't work for Brothers however.

BUMP:
YouTube - U2 - "Winter" from Brothers (2009)

--I'm hoping to get a cleaner copy and do an audioswap, I think for putting it together in 5 minutes at 1AM the slideshow's OK.

Also, just notced that they cut the best verse.

"At 21, I was born a son
And on that day I knew I could kill
To protect the ones
Who put bullets in guns
Or anything it takes to take a life"

Maybe it didn't fit with the section of the movie it was going in

Vocal delivery of that verse in the original was amazing, the way his voice broke at the end was perfect for the emotion. I still prefer the new version for the vocal apart form that

"At 21, I was born a son
To protect the ones
Who put bullets in guns

Vocal delivery of that verse in the original was amazing, the way his voice broke at the end was perfect for the emotion. I still prefer the new version for the vocal apart form that

I actually was kind of glad to see that verse go, as it was so close to what Bono has actually said of himself when interviewed... I don't know, in a song it seemed really personal or something. But I'll agree with you about the way the vocal sounded during that part.

^That is the reason I wanted it in. People have been on their backs this decade for not being personal enough, for pushing for the hits and mentioning soul, hearts and kneeling in every song. I would have loved the narrative that verse gives the tune.

We still have it in the other version though I guess

Sorry I am spamming, I am finally getting to listen to it on good headphones and am noticing more things.

Love the guitar over the strings in the outtro. Edge plays a really bassed up riff at the end, has a little bit of distortion, just some picking, arpeggios, sounds fantastic

"At 21, I was born a son
To protect the ones
Who put bullets in guns

As I said in my earlier post, I'm thrilled that those laughable lyrics are gone.

Now if they put this on Songs Of Ascent, let's just hope it's a third version without any buttered toast.

I liked the atmosphere at that part of the song, but it was the lyrics that killed it for me on the Linear version.

each to their own and all that.

I suppose what I am noticing more and more at this point in their career is that they have had so many phases that it is impossible to keep everyone happy. There are people that love th band because they love certain eras in the band and so no matter what they do with anything they release, someone will be pissed off. They can't win, so at this point im just guna enjoy what I enjoy, not listen to what I dont like and...

FUCK THE HATERS!!! :rockon:

Ok, so I am by no means a pro at this, but I have attempted a hybrid version just adding some minor things from the earlier version that I miss.

Used the new version as a base. It isn't any different until after the bridge. Tell me what you think

http://www.send^^^space.com/file/zqvy8f

"At 21, I was born a son
To protect the ones
Who put bullets in guns

IMO the worst verse :D

I enjoy the new version more than the Linear one, mainly because the old version was all over the place, strings, weird voices, a combination of extremely good and extremely bad lyrics, and that great part in the middle. This one is more cohesive, even if I miss Edge's guitar, and that great awesome middle part.

I'm starting to fall in love with this new version. I've had in on repeat for 5 times now. It's a beautiful ballad and I reall hope they put tis on SOA. The only thing they could improve is Bono's vocal because he can certainly do better and the toast line. I really like the strings at the end of he song. This is much better than the Lineair version.

I do appreciate that U2 toned down the song and made it less bombastic - and I'll be damned, from the rough quality clip earlier I mentioned Bono sounded a bit rough, but after listening to "Winter" in a proper quality, he sounds fine to me.

:yes:
He does, especially after they took out the "I'm choking" verse.

Best of all the cliche U2 sounds (and the Coldplay intro, and all the muttering in the middle) are gone.

Back
Top Bottom