So Winter=Linear, Tripoli = Fez/Being Born, Every breaking wave ... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
The one with "every sailor knows sea is a man made friend" lyrics. Was it put on hold for the supposed quick follow up ?

We just don't know. About the next album, I mean.

But I got the feeling EBW wasn't finished in time, as with Winter.

Oh, and they're different songs. Winter anyway.

and if tripoli is the clip on the HIWI trailer where bono sings "in old tripoli" then Fez-BB is not the same song either.

Any idea when they are going to let us know what the Itunes bonus tracks are? I'd like to pre-order, but it depends on the bonus cuts. The album comes out Tuesday, you think they would clue us in at this point. I already pre-ordered the CD.

Any idea when they are going to let us know what the Itunes bonus tracks are? I'd like to pre-order, but it depends on the bonus cuts. The album comes out Tuesday, you think they would clue us in at this point. I already pre-ordered the CD.

Yeah, if its real songs, I'll buy from them. If it's just remixes, I won't.

Those tracks are a 'Punk Version' of Get On Your Boots and the 2nd version of No Line on the Horizon.

proof of other songs

Songs - and characters - still survive from Dublin, but the album's narrative arc has since been jettisoned, along with two other songs, Winter and Every Breaking Wave, in the last few frantic days of recording.

and fez is not tripoli because it used to be called something else

Later, Bono will play me three other almost finished songs: Unknown Caller, No Line on the Horizon and Chromium Chords, which will later be re-titled Fez - Being Born.

both of these were from the same interview

I have a feeling Every Breaking Wave will be starting blocks for the next album/EP.

Every breaking wave sounds like a very poetic way to introduce the record after No Line on the horizon...

Its like the aftermath... the calm after the storm, sweeping up the wood on the devastated beach.

The albums may be sister albums, and Tripoli could retain its theme and still fit very well with the project

and if tripoli is the clip on the HIWI trailer where bono sings "in old tripoli" then Fez-BB is not the same song either.

From U2.com:

"And then there's this song that is called 'Tripoli' at the moment, which is this guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan French cop, who's going Awol. He drives through France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning...'

That song was eventually called Fez-Being Born and it's streaming right now, along with the rest of the album."

Fez-Being Born was Tripoli CONFIRMED

after much debate and speculation I decided to go someone who heard tripoli. His name is Brian Hiatt and he is the assoiciate editor at rollingstone who heard a preview of 10 of the tracks with one of them being called Tripoli. His description of the song can be found on the thread at the top that says "....look here first"

I emailed him and he was kind enough to respond to me with this email.

To Brian Hiatt

In your review of some of the songs for U2's No Line on the Horizon you wrote of a song called Tripoli. Did this song make the album as Fez-Being Born or was it not included?

Tripoli is the same song as Fez-Being Born; it was retitled sometime in December

I emailed him back to get a little more detail but the debate is over.

I still don't believe it.

lol. it's awesome. i think this Tripoli = Fez-Being Born thing will go on forever. the band could even release an official statement that Tripoli = Fez-Being Born and people will still debate it.

I still don't believe it.

I repeat:

TRIPOLI AND FEZ/BEING BORN IS THE SAME SONG

Look at the descriptions for Tripoli:

"This strikingly experimental song lurches between disparate styles, including near-operatic choral music, Zooropa-style electronics, and churning arena rock."

"And the ambitious possible album opener "Tripoli," which violently lurches between different sections."
(Bono later said during the NRJ France interview that Fez/Being Born WAS going to be the album opener)

"Bono talks about a song called Tripoli which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moraccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning."

Please note the last one. Now read the lyrics for Fez/Being Born:

Six o´clock
On the autoroute
Burning rubber, burning chrome
Bay of Cadiz and ferry home
Atlantic sea cut glass
African sun at last

Lights... flash past...
Like memories
A speeding head, a speeding heart
I´m being born, a bleeding start
The engines roar, blood curling wail
Head first then foot
The heart sets sail

It should be obvious by now.

Chromium Chords -> Tripoli -> Fez/Being Born

People still don't believe it? I mean, it's pretty obvious and I have no idea why people want there to be two different songs...

U2.com said the same things months ago. And the descriptions of Tripoli fit in with what we got on Fez-Being born.

I don't know where to put this.

Diorama = Crazy Tonight.

This is from the photo in hardcover book in the boxset with the Edge sitting near a board. The name "Diorama" is on the board. Which now is confirmed by Lanois in a National Post artical the just the other day (a track by track review). Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I like knowing about this stuff. :nerd:

after much debate and speculation I decided to go someone who heard tripoli. His name is Brian Hiatt and he is the assoiciate editor at rollingstone who heard a preview of 10 of the tracks with one of them being called Tripoli. His description of the song can be found on the thread at the top that says "....look here first"

I emailed him and he was kind enough to respond to me with this email.

To Brian Hiatt

In your review of some of the songs for U2's No Line on the Horizon you wrote of a song called Tripoli. Did this song make the album as Fez-Being Born or was it not included?

Tripoli is the same song as Fez-Being Born; it was retitled sometime in December

I emailed him back to get a little more detail but the debate is over.

The most logical reason for Tripoli=Fez/Being Born is that the clip that we saw of Bono in the Here Is What Is Clip singing and playing the guitar while Daniel Lanois was clapping along was probably a very early rough cut version that eventually morphed with Chromium Chords and together they became Fez/Being Born.At one time Tripoli and Chromiuim Chords were different songs because they were listed seperately on U2's working titles song list in studio photo but they obvouisly came together.So if an editor from Rollingstone that heard the album in December has indeed confirmed that the Tripoli that he heard in December is the same as Fez/Being Born then that pretty much ends the debate for me.
Tripoli + Chromium Chords= Fez/Being Born.

Btw, does anyone have the mp3 of Winter they might be able to throw me? Thanks a lot!

The most logical reason for Tripoli=Fez/Being Born is that the clip that we saw of Bono in the Here Is What Is Clip singing and playing the guitar while Daniel Lanois was clapping along was probably a very early rough cut version that eventually morphed with Chromium Chords and together they became Fez/Being Born.At one time Tripoli and Chromiuim Chords were different songs because they were listed seperately on U2's working titles song list in studio photo but they obvouisly came together.So if an editor from Rollingstone that heard the album in December has indeed confirmed that the Tripoli that he heard in December is the same as Fez/Being Born then that pretty much ends the debate for me.
Tripoli + Chromium Chords= Fez/Being Born.

That clip sounds nowhere near what Being Born sounds like, just because he sings "in old Tripoli" doesn't mean this was ever a song called Tripoli.

Back
Top Bottom