So will we ever hear Tripoli or Every Breaking Wave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2011-2012 New Album

NLOTH is probably their last album.....for at least until 2014-2015....maybe...I wouldn't be surprised if after this tour is over (late 2010??) that they take 5-6 years off and then start writing.

2011?? Put the crack pipe down now.

NLOTH is probably their last album.....for at least until 2014-2015....maybe...I wouldn't be surprised if after this tour is over (late 2010??) that they take 5-6 years off and then start writing.

2011?? Put the crack pipe down now.

you're so cranky lately! :angry: :wink:

Do you think my prediction is out of line?

I know this is a total shot in the dark....but some of the lyrical quotes and descriptions we're getting from the title track kind of makes me think that maybe they cannibalized the lyrics to Every Breaking Wave and used some of them in NLOTH. They did a similar thing with a song called Home for Walk On.

I wish I knew the exact line, but one of the reviews stated there were some lyrics using the sea as a metaphor. I think it was NLOTH or it could have been MOS...shit, now I can't remember. I'll try and find the quote from the review that I read....either way its just a shot in the dark.

Do you think my prediction is out of line?

well....i see both sides of it. i think it all depends on how strongly they feel about the leftovers. if they see it as 50% of a 2nd album already complete, then it's a possibility. but then again, knowing how they work, i would tend to think your prediction is most likely correct.

I know this is a total shot in the dark....but some of the lyrical quotes and descriptions we're getting from the title track kind of makes me think that maybe they cannibalized the lyrics to Every Breaking Wave and used some of them in NLOTH. They did a similar thing with a song called Home for Walk On.

I wish I knew the exact line, but one of the reviews stated there were some lyrics using the sea as a metaphor. I think it was NLOTH or it could have been MOS...shit, now I can't remember. I'll try and find the quote from the review that I read....either way its just a shot in the dark.

NLOTH, I think... "I knew a woman who was like the sea/......changing for me/" or something?

NLOTH, I think... "I knew a woman who was like the sea/......changing for me/" or something?

BINGO!

That's the one. Though the more I think of it...the more I remember that Every Breaking Wave's lyrics used the sea as a metaphor for change, struggle and unpredictability of life. Not sure if that carried over into NLOTH.

Hmmmm.....:hmm:

No more Best Of's and shitty compilations, please!!!
If you want to release a Best Of, do it only on the next 10 years. Or... release a compilation full of outtakes and unreleased/never heard (for the general public) tracks (thinking about "Mercy", "North Star", "Wild Irish Rose", "She's a Mystery To Me", "Goldeneye" demo, etc).

Or... rework/remix/re-produce some of the outtakes of the last years ("Every Breaking Wave", "Tripoli", "North Star", "Mercy"...) and release it all in a quick EP or a 9 track LP in 2010.

...but NO compilations on the following years!

BINGO!

That's the one. Though the more I think of it...the more I remember that Every Breaking Wave's lyrics used the sea as a metaphor for change, struggle and unpredictability of life. Not sure if that carried over into NLOTH.

Hmmmm.....:hmm:

NLOTH:

I knew a girl who was like the sea, watch her changing every day for me, oh yeah

EBW:

Every sailor knows that the sea is your friend made enemy

That makes me wish EBW had stayed. I like the recurring themes (existentialist-ish, fire, calls) and wish the sea were recurring as well...
:heart:

well....i see both sides of it. i think it all depends on how strongly they feel about the leftovers. if they see it as 50% of a 2nd album already complete, then it's a possibility. but then again, knowing how they work, i would tend to think your prediction is most likely correct.

Yeah, I actually think his prediction isn't a good one considering how obvious the band made it that they have another album already in the chamber.

I'll go out on a limb and say that there's no way in hell that they won't release another album in the next year or so.

Yeah, I actually think his prediction isn't a good one considering how obvious the band made it that they have another album already in the chamber.

I'll go out on a limb and say that there's no way in hell that they won't release another album in the next year or so.

whew. let's hope that the 3rd time is a charm because they've said the same thing after the last two albums. though i will admit, compared to those, this is the earliest that they've announced their intentions of getting another album done. usually they say this towards the end of each corresponding tour.

Even if they did try to release a Best-Of Album, what would they put on it?? They've only had two major releases and a pair of independent singles. We may get a third release before the end of 2010, but highly unlikely. I think these two songs will just be b-sides, or will be recycled for another album... assuming Tripoli is not Fez-Being Born.

Best of 2000-2010

No Line On The Horizon
Vertigo
(New Song in 2010)
City Of Blinding Lights
Instant Karma
All Because Of You
Magnificent
(New Song in 2010)
Get On Your Boots
Window In The Skies
(New Song In 2010)
Original Of The Species
Moment Of Surrender
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Yikes. NLOTH better have 4-5 solid singles or else it will be a lame compilation. This is not their best-of, it's their only-of! :doh:

Why is everybody so fixated on there being a Best Of 2000-2010? The contract for three compilations was fulfilled with U2:18.

And anybody who actually thinks the next album will be just a year after NLOTH is frankly delusional. (Come on, U2, prove me wrong. Prove. Me. Wrong.)

Why is everybody so fixated on there being a Best Of 2000-2010? The contract for three compilations was fulfilled with U2:18.

Yeah I know that... but it just makes me a little frustrated to compare the best of this decade to the two previous and see how little material U2 has managed to release in an entire decade... :huh: Quality aside... we barely got a 2nd album... we've had a few below-average independent singles, very few b-sides, and then a bunch of left-overs on The Complete U2. 90s U2 put out 5 albums including Passengers, plus a heck of a lot of b-sides, and they also had some decent independent singles (Hands... HMTMKMKM... Electrical Storm).

Yeah I know that... but it just makes me a little frustrated to compare the best of this decade to the two previous and see how little material U2 has managed to release in an entire decade... :huh: Quality aside... we barely got a 2nd album... we've had a few below-average independent singles, very few b-sides, and then a bunch of left-overs on The Complete U2. 90s U2 put out 5 albums including Passengers, plus a heck of a lot of b-sides, and they also had some decent independent singles (Hands... HMTMKMKM... Electrical Storm).

3 things...

Barely two albums is actually 3 albums in the 00's

90's U2 put out 4 albums, becuase the passengers album was by 'Passengers'

Electrical Storm was released in 2002, qualifying as 00's U2, not 90's U2

I would love to be proved wrong, but I think you're way off base here.

They've been saying they're going to release a new album quickly for the last ten years....and it doesn't happen.

Come on man, they've got families and such........

Even if they did try to release a Best-Of Album, what would they put on it?? They've only had two major releases and a pair of independent singles. We may get a third release before the end of 2010, but highly unlikely. I think these two songs will just be b-sides, or will be recycled for another album... assuming Tripoli is not Fez-Being Born.

Best of 2000-2010

No Line On The Horizon
Vertigo
(New Song in 2010)
City Of Blinding Lights
Instant Karma
All Because Of You
Magnificent
(New Song in 2010)
Get On Your Boots
Window In The Skies
(New Song In 2010)
Original Of The Species
Moment Of Surrender
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Yikes. NLOTH better have 4-5 solid singles or else it will be a lame compilation. This is not their best-of, it's their only-of! :doh:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
Walk On
Kite

Plus whatever might come from the Spiderman stuff and maybe a finished version of Mercy.

I think thats quite a bit of material if you assume that they'd put on 3-5 new songs along with whats already been released.

3 things...

Barely two albums is actually 3 albums in the 00's

90's U2 put out 4 albums, becuase the passengers album was by 'Passengers'

I suppose ATYCLB is a 00's release since was toured and promoted well into the new decade. When was it recorded, early 2000? So yeah I agree.

I think if U2 teamed up with Eno (isn't he getting some writing credits on this album?) and a few others and released a full length album nowaways we'd freak and call it the best U2 release ever... even if it was under a pseudonym. That's just nitpicking... :wave:

I suppose ATYCLB is a 00's release since was toured and promoted well into the new decade. When was it recorded, early 2000? So yeah I agree.

I think if U2 teamed up with Eno (isn't he getting some writing credits on this album?) and a few others and released a full length album nowaways we'd freak and call it the best U2 release ever... even if it was under a pseudonym. That's just nitpicking... :wave:

Sorry if you think im nitpicking, but i really really dont consider passengers a U2 album. I think the reason they said it was passengers was more to distance it from u2, rather than include Eno. I would call it an Eno collaboration, more than a U2 one.

I, and many many other U2 fans would not conider it a U2 album, and U2.com definately don't consider it one.

Sorry if you think im nitpicking, but i really really dont consider passengers a U2 album. I think the reason they said it was passengers was more to distance it from u2, rather than include Eno. I would call it an Eno collaboration, more than a U2 one.

I, and many many other U2 fans would not conider it a U2 album, and U2.com definately don't consider it one.

To be fair

A) the story goes that the studio were the ones who pushed for it to not be a U2 album
B) Miss Sarajevo made an appearance on the best of U2 1990-2000 so the band clearly thinks its a U2 song from a U2 album

Regardless, it's still far more interesting than anything U2™ has released this decade. I think that was the overwhelming sentiment of the post anyway.

To be fair

A) the story goes that the studio were the ones who pushed for it to not be a U2 album
B) Miss Sarajevo made an appearance on the best of U2 1990-2000 so the band clearly thinks its a U2 song from a U2 album

a) its irrelevant who pushed. it is under the name passengers. It's not acknowledged by u2.com as an album, and every reference to NLOTH clearly states it is the bands 12th studio album (also from the u2 press release)

b) They also released the Saints Are Coming on U218 singles. It is a case of all 4 members of U2 played on it, so they fought to put it on the best of. The fact that it was on the best of U2 doesnt mean they consider it a U2 song, and definately doesnt mean they think its a u2 album. The interpretation of best of can comfortably mean the best songs that U2 were involved with.

Regardless, it's still far more interesting than anything U2™ has released this decade.

debatable. I can't listen to it start to finish. There are 3, maybe 4 songs i can genuinely listen to all the way through.

Interesting is an interesting word too, because it definately is weird, strange, more out there than anything this decade, but in my opinion only Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room would even be considered close to ANYTHING else released in this decade.

Back
Top Bottom