So why dont you like Boots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(with a little history), If we go way back to The Fly, then we had discotechque which is in the style of the fly then we had Elevation which was again in the style of the fly. Then, we had Vertigo which was in the style of the fly, or should I say its roots lie in this type of guitar riff. Not to mention Fast Cars, which is throwaway/unchallenging (maybe the only reason it stayed is because of the line - going to the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb).

With what has seemed like a very long wait for this album, plus for those who heard the beach clips and got very excited. When GOYB materialised as a first single I was certainly like 'enough of this kind of track already'. Not to mention that the other songs, Fly, Elevation, Discotechque & Vertigo are stronger songs.

I think we were all expecting something a little more challenging (a WOWY type track perhaps) and instead got yet another bar chord/led zeppeling style riff in the key of A, when we've already had it in all the above mentioned tracks, plus Hold Me Thrill me etc.

The world has moved on, we kind of all hoped that Mr Evans would have learn't to do something else with a telecaster (used on vertigo) an overdrive and bar chords around the key of A, yawn..................but on this GOYB performance it would appear not.

Fortunately the rest of the album is in complete contrast.

To summarise, why do I hate GOYB: When you've already heard the other tracks before, it gets boring to hear the same thing rehashed and served up as new time and again.

Yeah...well I appriciate the BootsLuv, but is anyone actually going to own up and explain why they dont like it??

:madwife:

Though rolling pins arnt the most inviting thing...:shifty:

Er, come on in, we have wine! :beer: :cocktail:

Seriously why. :grumpy:

For the same reason that I don't like celery. There's no logic behind it, no reasoning, I just don't like it. :shrug:

Sorry that that wasn't a very good answer...can I still have the :cocktail: though?! :wink:

I just got done listening to NLOTH again and in all honesty I don't think it fits or flows well within the album. I like the song alright, like it even more live, but I don't like it in context with the album, it is my least favorite after SUC.

I like Boots but it loses a lot after too many listens. :hmm:

That's sort of how I feel about it. I listened to it a lot the first few days after it was out, then I didn't listen to it again until a few days ago, aside from watching the video once and seeing them play it on the Grammy Awards (and just sort of stumble through it).

I have no doubt it will be a fun song in stadiums, though, especially based on the visuals they used on the Grammys.

For the same reason that I don't like celery. There's no logic behind it, no reasoning, I just don't like it. :shrug:

Sorry that that wasn't a very good answer...can I still have the :cocktail: though?! :wink:

No you cant. Now shoo. :madwife:

I dont like celery either. Its good in soup though. :shh:

But in a more serious vein, are you trying to say its the less...er, meaninful, or spiritual tone of the song? Like Elevation/Vertigo? <-Do you also feel the same about those?

I only ask cos Id put Elevation, Vertigo and GOYB in their own little section of kind-of-pointless-but-fun-to-jump-around-to songs. :wink:

Btw, I love boots, they make some gals look sexy... in some cases, even more. :sexywink:
But they do say it hurts to use them... :shrug:

Btw, I love boots, they make some gals look sexy... in some cases, even more. :sexywink:
But they do say it hurts to use them... :shrug:

Doc Martens bloody hurt Ill tell you that for free. :crack: Yet Ive worn them for the last 5 years.

Current ones are ok, but If I try and walk too far in my others...then you're in painsville. :scream:

Boots is awesome

-Riff is awesome
-Zoo TV tribute intro is awesome
-Larry standing up and singing is awesome
-U2 blowing up volcanoes and punching through cement bricks with the power of rock is awesome

No you cant. Now shoo. :madwife:

I dont like celery either. Its good in soup though. :shh:

But in a more serious vein, are you trying to say its the less...er, meaninful, or spiritual tone of the song? Like Elevation/Vertigo? <-Do you also feel the same about those?

I only ask cos Id put Elevation, Vertigo and GOYB in their own little section of kind-of-pointless-but-fun-to-jump-around-to songs. :wink:

Alright, Alright if that's what it'll take to get my :cocktail: ;)

I do like Elevation and I did like Vertigo when I heard it the first few times (though I have to admit I've gone off it now). I suppose the real reason that I don't like GOYB is because it reminds me of Fast Cars which I have real love/hate feelings about and at the moment I'm going through a 'hate' phase with it. So maybe in a few months time when I actually love Fast Cars again maybe I'll also like GOYB too. Plus (and this is the thing that everyone here is going to really hate me for) I think Bono can sing a lot better than he actually does on GOYB... :uhoh:

it is an okay song but it is hardly a classic.

I can not stand the get on your boots sentence which sounds so underwelming and stupendous. the "how beautifull" part is very good. The guitar is line 6 guitarhell by what seems an incredible unmotivated moment by edge who doenst sound like edge is on fire so that can never be good. Adam plays great here and Larry is delivering as well which brings us to my hero. He delivers in the verses I think.The "you dont know, you dont get it do you" line however sounds so forced and thin that it makes my ears hurt when I use the headphones but in the end Bono is doing a good job I think and he sounds fresh.

Overall ,not bad at all but when you had first singles like pride,the fly, wowy and beautiful day for instance this is a very weak outing. I like it on the record but as a leadsingle to promote your album it is a catastrophy :wink:

***/*****

It has so many different pieces to it and it sort of knocks you off your feet and leaves you breathless after 3 minutes, it will kill in stadiums!!!! It feels like it's been done before, but the let me in the sound bit kicks ass, get away from it a bit, play it again, listen to the latest performances, it's great!! I think they should have waited and not played it at the Grammys bc it was the first time, it's really really good live now!!!!!

Boots is the freshest sounding U2 single since Discotheque. It is innovative, energetic and unpredictable and those three traits underscore all of their best work. It also chops down a few more Joshua Trees!

it's definitely the weakest single I've heard from them during the whole time I've been a fan. funny, because my brother is a pretty big fan too, and we were talking a few weeks ago and saying how underwhelmed we were by it as the first thing off a new U2 album. he actually went as far as to say that he wouldn't have minded it too much as a first single, but I don't know if I'd even go that far!

it's not terrible, by any means. but they've done A LOT better in the past. I'm only 2 tracks into the new album as we speak, and this is already eons beyond Boots was on a first listen.

I think the speed of the song freaks out a lot of U2 fans. I mean, Jesus, it's their fastest song by a LOT: 149 BPM!!! That's basically drum-n'-bass territory.

Just as an experiment, it'd be interesting to hear a much slower version, and see what people think. A familiar pace might be less disorienting to the Boots haters, I bet.

I like the song a lot, and give it a B+/A-. Not their best song ever or anything, but it works on the album and it'll be great live.

Boots is growing on me. But I think it's too all over the place you know? For some people that's what makes them like it. For me, it's the opposite.

I think it belongs on the album more than CT and SUC, that's for damn sure.

I don't mind the song at all. I think during the verses Bono could've used some rewrites (when could he not have used some lately?), but the chorus is really really nice with the dreamy and freaky harmonies.

Plus, it is so so so much BETTER than Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom