So Whats Wrong With NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NLOTH doesn't have a personality yet : the album cover is cold and abstract, GOYB is an average lead single with an impersonal video, the elvis dead brother character doesn't make sense. I wish they used the traffic cop character in their singles videos (No Line, Magnificent, Fez) to embody the album's spirit.
Let's hope Magnificent will do the job.

What's wrong? Well, MOS is skippable...doesn't really work as a standalone song, only works in a complete album play. Same with FEZ-BB.

And Stand Up Comedy is awesome. I'm glad they included that and dropped Winter.

I don't think any U2 album has had a lyrical theme that was strong throughout. They've come close, but then always had two or three that broke away from the pack...

Ah that makes sense. AB is lyrically cohesive because it isn't cohesive BUT that 's the point because it isn't f'**king supposed to be cohesive.

F**KING genius.

And there was me thinking that AB was just a mis mash of ideas with a third of the songs having a common theme.

Yes there is a probem with cohesion.

Hey that's your dilemma. Enjoy the record the way you like. You are the smart one here. But, you already knew that, though, didn't you?

I am the smart one here.

oh, I fully agree
but if the battle between the self and the soul fits in because it can also be considered a kind of relationship then you could fit every U2 song in this theme

Not really. No song on NLOTH fits that theme. To me.

1. It's time to start dating again!
2. Meets a girl, tries to woo her
3. Then rationalize her into bed
4. Then scolds her when she refuses
5. Then laments that he can't get her
6. Then calls her a bitch
7. and decides he's too good for her or anyone.
8. But he cant get her off his mind
9. so he tries some drunk dialing
10. then pleading
11. until finally self loathing
12. causes him to give up on love all together.

A likely story.

Also, If you want to get into details why it isn't amongst the greats...

-Edge digs into his usual toolbox and doesn't break away from it

-Eno uses too many "cheerful" synth and keyboard sounds for an album that seems like it was supposed to have a darker tone.

-Bono's yelling voice is unnecessary in most places; it very poorly compliments the music on MOS

-The opening track doesn't hit you with a bang; its just kinda there.

-Boots feels like Vertigo pt.2

-Crazy Tonight feels like Crumbs pt.2

-The hype feels like it was way out of left-field (even more than normal) after hearing the material

-The promotional machine didn't seem to get into gear as quickly as it usually does

-Choruses that are "big" and have that "anthem" sound, another way of not breaking away from the norm.

-And finally, just saying the name of the song doesn't make for a great chorus "No, No line" and "At the Moment of Surrender..."

I actually agree with alot of this 'niggling'. There is NO cohesion on NLOTH, given that U2 are always saying they have this special 'chemistry when they get together in the same room, well it doesn't sound to me like they are even on the same page. There is certainly no theme and Bono's 'explanations' of his lyrics, I find completely dumbfounding. He is writing in the third person he says ,ok, but I don't think he is even writing about people, more like scenarios, bizarre, far-fetched, contrived scenarios: I mean a family at a funfair with impending doom approaching or something...what???? I think it's really time the man admitted once and for all that he shouldn't be writing lyrics (to publish) at all, that he never really had ANYTHING to say (which is why he writes about religion and politics, I rest my case) and that he is certainly not getting any better!!!!!! Even on a song like Moment of Surrender, which sounds personal, he uses all the same boring words and rhymes he's been using for years but he must be at his most boring yet. How anyone can be that strange and that boring at the same time....I don't know how he does it.:hmm::rolleyes:

There is no cohesion, they are all pulling from separate places, doing their own different things and its really obvious.

And on a song like Cedars of Lebanon where it might be personal and about him, and I start to let myself go and feel and relate and empathize and think 'oooooohhhhhhhh poor Bono!!!' he announces to the world that it's about some effing political prisoner that I DON'T CARE ABOUT and I think 'well for god's sake why are you bringing HIM/HER into it???' This is about us! :sexywink: :cute: Not that he's done it yet. But I already feel betrayed! *hand on hip* I'm ready for it. :yes: :sad:

Btw I really like this thread. Alot of people have really good things to say. Alot don't. :shrug: Still fun. :)

I actually agree with alot of this 'niggling'. There is NO cohesion on NLOTH, given that U2 are always saying they have this special 'chemistry when they get together in the same room, well it doesn't sound to me like they are even on the same page. There is certainly no theme and Bono's 'explanations' of his lyrics, I find completely dumbfounding. He is writing in the third person he says ,ok, but I don't think he is even writing about people, more like scenarios, bizarre, far-fetched, contrived scenarios: I mean a family at a funfair with impending doom approaching or something...what???? I think it's really time the man admitted once and for all that he shouldn't be writing lyrics (to publish) at all, that he never really had ANYTHING to say (which is why he writes about religion and politics, I rest my case) and that he is certainly not getting any better!!!!!! Even on a song like Moment of Surrender, which sounds personal, he uses all the same boring words and rhymes he's been using for years but he must be at his most boring yet. How anyone can be that strange and that boring at the same time....I don't know how he does it.:hmm::rolleyes:

There is no cohesion, they are all pulling from separate places, doing their own different things and its really obvious.

And on a song like Cedars of Lebanon where it might be personal and about him, and I start to let myself go and feel and relate and empathize and think 'oooooohhhhhhhh poor Bono!!!' he announces to the world that it's about some effing political prisoner that I DON'T CARE ABOUT and I think 'well for god's sake why are you bringing HIM/HER into it???' This is about us! :sexywink: :cute: Not that he's done it yet. But I already feel betrayed! *hand on hip* I'm ready for it. :yes: :sad:

Btw I really like this thread. Alot of people have really good things to say. Alot don't. :shrug: Still fun. :)

Well I think you missed the point of some of these examples. Others went completely over your head and the others I'm worry you may be drinking...

(which is why he writes about religion and politics, I rest my case)
This just doesn't make any sense at all... Usually the bands that don't have anything to say avoid these topics.

Who do you see as a cohesive band and someone who has something to say?

Well I think you missed the point of some of these examples. Others went completely over your head and the others I'm worry you may be drinking...

This just doesn't make any sense at all... Usually the bands that don't have anything to say avoid these topics.

Who do you see as a cohesive band and someone who has something to say?

Well after completely rubbishing my brain, you want my opinion? Maybe YOU have to make that mental leap. :wink:

Alanis Morissette and Morrissey are two examples off the top of my head of artists who are always honest (feel honest), intimate, interesting, original, cohesive, poetic and have a :censored: of a lot to say! But I can think of more, give me a minute.........

Nope Alanis says it all. I now know where you are coming from...

I can't believe you put Morrissey and Alanis in the same sentence, but then again Morrissey isn't the same writer he used to be.

Yeah, I know I haven't listened to the latest 'Years of Refusal' although I love the title. Anyone who knows Morissey even a little bit, just absolutely KNOWS what he is saying there. And he will be saying it all over the album I am sure. A BIT better than No line on the Horizon which has fans scratching their heads going :hmm::hmm:'it's an image of infinity that someone in the third person is having somewhere and it has something to do with the sea and the sky and the future, right?' :crack::banghead::doh: And it either exists or it doesn't?' It's like this idea I am first making into an image, then finding a physical analogy to fit and then somehow make it into a theme, that's going to fit in well with all the other contrived personas and people who aren't him whose point of view he is writing from. Yeah good luck. Well I'm sorry the man just isn't up to it.

But Morissey hasn't done anything very good since he came out. Which I have to be honest, disappointed me a little. I kind of always thought he was more mysterious and original than that.

Yeah, I know I haven't listened to the latest 'Years of Refusal' although I love the title. Anyone who knows Morissey even a little bit, just absolutely KNOWS what he is saying there. And he will be saying it all over the album I am sure. A BIT better than No line on the Horizon which has fans scratching their heads going :hmm::hmm:'it's an image of infinity that someone in the third person is having somewhere and it has something to do with the sea and the sky and the future, right?' :crack::banghead::doh: And it either exists or it doesn't?' It's like this idea I am first making into an image, then finding a physical analogy to fit and then somehow make it into a theme, that's going to fit in well with all the other contrived personas and people who aren't him whose point of view he is writing from. Yeah good luck. Well I'm sorry the man just isn't up to it.
John, I'm seriously perplexed by what you are saying... You state:

Anyone who knows Morissey even a little bit, just absolutely KNOWS what he is saying there.

and then say:

always thought he was more mysterious and original than that.

But then complain that Bono is being too head scratching or vague for you...

What do you want mystery or the obvious answer?

But Morissey hasn't done anything very good since he came out. Which I have to be honest, disappointed me a little. I kind of always thought he was more mysterious and original than that.

Since he came out? Do you mean out of the closet? I didn't know he actually did that...

Truly baffling post.

John, why don't you just post specific lyrics you don't like, maybe some of us can help you out...

compared to other albums the edge's solos don't seem as grand. love the album but it's always great when the edge goes off

compared to other albums the edge's solos don't seem as grand. love the album but it's always great when the edge goes off

There are a handful of kind of languid slide solos on the record. They sound nice and have some great melodic ideas, but they're not exactly aggressive.

I was surprised by the Magnificent solo - for a hopefully slam-dunk single, it's solo doesn't exactly sing "radio smash" to me. I wonder if they'll edit it out for the single edit.

John, I'm seriously perplexed by what you are saying... You state:

and then say:

But then complain that Bono is being too head scratching or vague for you...

What do you want mystery or the obvious answer?

Since he came out? Do you mean out of the closet? I didn't know he actually did that...

Truly baffling post.

John, why don't you just post specific lyrics you don't like, maybe some of us can help you out...

:lol: You're sweet! :hug: I didn't realise I was so confusing. Ok, let me explain....

I pretty much do always know/understand what Morissey is saying/hinting at. Doesn't mean he isn't mysterious and original. He is a master at expressing his feelings. Yes he came out as being gay when he moved to California, which he never actually admitted to before. He never lied, pretended to have girlfriends, he was always honest about the way he felt, that he had failed at love blah blah. I guess I just romanticised a very romantic man and imagined him to be this tragic hero and was disappointed that it was just about being ashamed about being gay.

He's still alot more honest than Bono, I am never perplexed listening to Morissey, he doesn't have to invent bizarre explanations for his lyrics, they EXPLAIN THEMSELVES, not that everyone has to be the same you understand! No! Of course not! :giggle:

I'll see if I can come up with some specific examples of lyrics I find :scratch: and you guys can see if you can (please) explain them to me. Ok?! Thanks for the offer. :up:

He's still alot more honest than Bono, I am never perplexed listening to Morissey, he doesn't have to invent bizarre explanations for his lyrics, they EXPLAIN THEMSELVES, not that everyone has to be the same you understand! No! Of course not! :giggle:

I'll see if I can come up with some specific examples of lyrics I find :scratch: and you guys can see if you can (please) explain them to me. Ok?! Thanks for the offer. :up:

Yeah, you're gonna have to come up with examples because I still have no clue what you are trying to say, do you even know?

What bizarre explanations has Bono had to explain his lyrics?

Morissey has a lot of explaining to do to me. Hairdresser on Fire??? Seriously?

Yeah, you're gonna have to come up with examples because I still have no clue what you are trying to say, do you even know?

What bizarre explanations has Bono had to explain his lyrics?

Morissey has a lot of explaining to do to me. Hairdresser on Fire??? Seriously?

Ah yes I see what you're saying, probably better not to listen to/read Bono explanations. :hmm::yes: I'm sure you're right.

You never had your hairdresser on fire when they are working on you? (remember he IS gay!) Like, you know, on fire with creativity? Oh hell I dunno, it's years since I listened to THAT song.

He probably never had a girlfriend in a coma either. Just a very cute sense of humour. :sexywink:

Funny and tragic at the same time.

Edge is all over this album in lots of different ways...amongst others...

Opening track, Magnificent, end of Unknown Caller, Fez (Edge is totally totally amazing here!!), Boots, Stand Up...then more subtle on Cedars. Love him in Breathe too. I think this album is actually "typical" Edge i.e. he appears when necessary and doesn't take centre stage unless it requires it.

I think all the band members are all over this album equally in fact, it's their best "group" album for some time.

Its their most interesting album in a long time (since Pop). I could listen to Moment of Surrender almost as much as I've listed to With or Without You and still love the song. Unknown caller sounds like nothing they (or any band) has done before.

"Crazy" is probably my least favorite song on the album.

I don't mind SUC. Without the "solo" or interlude or whatever it is, it would be mediocre, but that part gives the song a lot of points.

Whatever, I like it.

NLOTH is their best to date...come on ye people...The Joshua Tree has been cut down and is now recycled toilet paper and Achtung Baby has now left kindergarten and is wandering in the ether about to take his A-Levels...live in today...respect the past but nostalgia can be so unhealthy at times...

I'd say its the fourth best U2 album (behind AB, JT and Pop) which means a whole lot to me as a great album.

First off, I gave this album a very enthusiastic 4.5/5 when it leaked.

Now?

4/5 - yes, I may have been too enthusiastic early on.

Problems are: the 'middle three' - those three songs just aren't in the same head space as the rest of the album. Good tunes, but not exceptional.

And Magnificent is the other weak link, a good 100 listens later.
It's awesome, a great song, but is a bit too cliche, a bit too pompous, not as sincere as the songs around it, and I really don't like the keyboards in the intro.
Amazing song, but let down a bit for those reasons. In my opinion.

But still a blinder of an album.

And a quick comment on the Edge's solo work on NLOTH: I agree that he doesn't 'cut loose'. Let's be honest, there's no quick finger work here - and the man is well documented as being capable of it.
The solos on the album are amazing - especially Breathe and Unknown Caller. But they aren't searing, scorching guitar solos like the Zoo TV's Bullet and Love is Blindness solos...

They're thoughtful, sparse, uncomplicated. And as a guitarist myself, that pisses me off sometimes - I want to be able to brag about the amazingly tricky guitar part he's just come up with. And I can't, cause they don't exist.

But in time I always look back and go, yup, the guy knew the song, he felt what the song needed, he got it right.

I think these solos are like that - although I really do wish he would let go just a little more sometimes!!!

It's awesome, a great song, but is a bit too cliche, a bit too pompous, not as sincere as the songs around it, and I really don't like the keyboards in the intro.

Yeah, it's a shame that this song will be viewed this way by some... I'm speaking purely of the "pompous" part. It's odd to me, the first time I heard this song I knew where it was coming from I never even thought about that perspective. I guess it just depends on your background. I knew right away it was a song to God and the "I was born..." lines were a reference to the belief that we are all designed differently to serve God in some form or fashion. It wasn't until someone pointed out that it sounded like Bono was saying I always knew I was going to be a singer, etc did I even get that perspective.

Well, I just spend a long time reading what U2 fans thought of the album. :crack: I find it funny how some are trying to analyze and come up with theories on what the band did or analyze fans (what kind of U2 fan you fall under). I also find it funny that some folks cannot accept the fact that people do not like the album and overreact.

Anyway, as a U2 fan (and I don't care about where the f*ck I fall into the category of what U2 fan are you!) my opinion on the new album is that it's bland and boring. I've listened to it numerous times and it's not clicking with me. I find the songs boring and rushed. I find the lyrics uninspired, meaningless, and unimaginative.

Like no other U2 album I'm having the hardest time liking any song and I don't understand why. I've given the album numerous tries and read the lyrics and I'm not feeling it. Everyone is talking about Magnificient and I fail to see anything magnificent about this song. Maybe I'm one of those folks that has a different album that the rest of you? If I am where do I find this great U2 album????

:huh: = Me after listening to NLOTH. So to answer the original question about what is wrong with NLOTH - A LOT!! But it mostly lacks "heart!"

Let me remind you folks that is is MY OPINION! :p

Back
Top Bottom