So What Song Has Grown On You The Most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, i thought i'd be in the minority coming in here and saying breathe! :lol: i was kind of eh when i first heard it, and it really clicked for me when i heard it on letterman. now i love it.

on the opposite end though is moment of surrender. i don't hate the song or anything, i just don't love it as much as i did when i first heard it.

Funnily enough, I feel the exact same way about the songs as I did after a few listens. I don't even know if my ranking has changed. There's like 8 songs that I absolutely love, 1 that I like a lot, 1 that doesn't totally annoy me but is a bit of an eye-roller, and 1 that I like but has a really nasty deformity on it, baby baby baby.

MOS and NLOTH used to be two of my least favourites on the album, now I think they are the two best

I was underwhelmed with NLOTH upon first listen because there was some report that the end went "demented" or something, so I was expecting something completely nuts. But once I accepted the song for what it was it slowly grew on me and I fell in love. So fun to play on guitar too :heart: there's just such a feeling of freedom in the song

It took me a very long time to get sold on the chorus of MOS. The verses blew me away from the get-go but the chorus was a little too hymnal for me. But now i love it and can't imagine it any other way, and the song really is a classic

I've been waiting for MOS to "click" with me for some time now. Still hasn't, I'm surprised and disappointed to say. I don't dislike it, but I'm pretty indifferent--it's not in my top 5 or 6 from NLOTH.

I'm going to have to go with Cedars of Lebanon. I didn't love it at first, and then it just HIT ME---bang!

Moment of Surrender.

At first I thought it was a bit too slow, a bit too preachy, in a way, although I liked the beat. For some strange reason, I also thought Bono was a bit too over the top with his singing.

This has changed for the better. Moment of Surrender is a U2 classic to me now.

:up: Exactly my then-and-now reaction as well. NLOTH has also grown on me; I thought it was bad elevator music when I first heard it, and now I think it's great.

Opposite end is Crazy Tonight. It was cute and catchy at first, and now it's getting a little plain.

Crazy Tonight has definitely grown on me the most. The live performances have been particularly notable.

I thought at the beginning that Moment of Surrender is a very good song, I consider it now being the best one on the album. I got used to the chorus, although I still think it is seriously misplaced.

No Line on the Horizon is another one that's a grower. First it sounded to me like a B-side, now I find to be one of the better songs on the record. It's interesting that, just like Moment of Surrender, the chorus is by far the weakest part of the song IMO.

Oh, and this album kicks ass when it comes to intros. Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Fez-Being Born, White as Snow and Breathe all have amazing opening bits. It's the choruses that are kind of a mixed bag.

I thought at the beginning that Moment of Surrender is a very good song, I consider it now being the best one on the album. I got used to the chorus, although I still think it is seriously misplaced.

No Line on the Horizon is another one that's a grower. First it sounded to me like a B-side, now I find to be one of the better songs on the record. It's interesting that, just like Moment of Surrender, the chorus is by far the weakest part of the song IMO.

Oh, and this album kicks ass when it comes to intros. Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Fez-Being Born, White as Snow and Breathe all have amazing opening bits. It's the choruses that are kind of a mixed bag.

You make an interesting point re: the chorus vs. the verses. With this album, it's the verses that are just as strong as the choruses. In regular pop songs, it's the choruses that carry the song. On this album, the verses are equally as powerful which is one reason this album stands out from the pack. Many bands don't approach songs this way.

Oh, and Fez-Being Born keeps getting better and better....if we do another Top 50 song vote in the future, I am sure that one will climb the ladder for me....it rocks.

Fez-Being Born for sure.

Lots of songs have grown on me with this album but none more than this song. It is one of the few that truly transport me to another place. It feels very Zooropa-ish, which is an extremely good thing IMO.

I can imagine it as the perfect opening song on the tour with an extended Fez build up only to come crashing in with Being Born and Bono's yells. That would erupt a stadium.

I'm like an above poster (and we may be in the minority for feeling like this initially)

I did not care for Magnificent at first, aside from the cool intro. I felt let down once the "I was born" began, like it needed a different start or tempo. Now, I don't mind that part as much, but the song as a whole has definately gained top 5 status.

I keep trying to like MOS but it's not working. I know as with many other u2 songs, this does not mean I will never like it!

I understand Unknown Caller now and think it's great songwriting but I can't get past the "Oh,oh,oh's"

I liked Cedars of Lebanon instantly, still do. White As Snow, also.

The chorus on Breathe is in a pitch my ears don't tolerate well. I have Tinnitus and ear pain with certain sounds. God that sounds insane but it's true. There are some things I just can't listen to :reject:

Loved No Line form the get go, and still do, but my biggest grower has to be Breathe.
The live performances of it have definately helped, and what a perfect feeling for the listener with the "..walk out into the street" parts. I'm drivin my kids crazy (tonight?), singing that one aloud around the house!
Anyone who hasn't seen the Letterman performance of this one should check it out (easy to find on youtube or links posted on interfernce) and pay attention to the audience reaction, especially after the bridge...rarely on a "talk show performance" have I seen a crowd so charged, and this song was brand new at the time!
Some fellow interferencers and I were rocking to our favorite tribute show (Elevation) earlier this month, and picture young/old (ahem..older), drunk/sober u2'ers arm in arm in front of the stage bellowing along with "sing your heart out etc etc".
Can't wait for the summer/fall tour!
PS- what is my location?

I guess Unknown Caller has grown on me, although I liked pretty much all the songs when I first listened to them. :up:

Quite a few actually. Mainly MOS and White as snow, both are reaching cult U2 status for me. I was underwhelmed by both for the first 20-30 listens, but I absolutely worship them both now. Unknown Caller is beginning to do the same now.

My initial reaction to GOYB was to classify it as a challenging song. I still see it in that way - despite being the song that is around for longer than the others, it's the song that i feel everyday that I get into it a bit more, which is a curious fact for the song picked as 1st single... definetly a continuous grower.

White As Snow as also evolved to me from a low profile song to a top class.

Pretty much I feel the same way, although there are shades of differences here and there.

If I had to choose one song, I'd choose Unknown Caller.

I was excited about that one from the Lanois film bits.

At first 'official' listen, I wondered how Bono's vocal passed the smell test.
Also I didn't like the clumsiness of "Password. You. Enter Here"
But I actually think it does work, as is. And any of those small things, don't really seem like much of anything at all. Which is a difference for me, I couldn't get beyond those kind of things on the last album. I guess I just like most of these songs better, that it doesn't matter.

Actually bringing the songs this time makes the little issues go away pretty quickly.
That and allowing for some subtlety here and there goes a long way.

Fez/Being Born, didn't care for it at all at first. I really enjoy it now.

I still do not care for Cedars (YAWN) or White As Snow and I don't think I ever will. Unknown Caller is decent (I like Edge's guitar work at the end) Otherwise its a solid album which means I skip Cedars and White As Snow all the time (Unknown Caller occassionally).

for me it would be Unknown Caller- yes the lyrics are clumsy but I just really like the song now

for me it would be Unknown Caller- yes the lyrics are clumsy but I just really like the song now

the lyrics are actually anything but clumsy. it's probably the most specific storytelling Bono has ever written.

The song that recently hit me is Stand Up Comedy. Didn't really listen to it much at first, but now I am really loving it. I actually don't feel the kick until the second verse "stop helping God across the road like a little old lady" My brain wakes up then.

Still not into Cedars, love the rest of the album.

GOYB is the only song that hasn't grown on me and, I skip it every time. Anyway, I enjoy the long intro version.

i dare you to blast the song in your car, open the windows and drive fast. then you will like the song.

Back
Top Bottom