So, is Mercy going to be on the next CD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScooterXX7

The Fly
Or what? Bono seems to love the song, so its interesting to see what he's gonna do with it. I think the self proclaimed "Best B-Side ever" should be moved to the next album!

I find Mercy to be an amazing piece of music, but at this point, I don't think it's going to work as part of an album - it's just too exposed now.

Here's hoping it gets released as a B-side at some point.

B-side (maybe). Never on an album unless seriously re-worked.

*insert "but the song is ridiculously overhyped anyway" rant here*

phanan said:
I find Mercy to be an amazing piece of music, but at this point, I don't think it's going to work as part of an album - it's just too exposed now.

Possibly, but it might fit the sound of the next album, in which case I would include it since I don't find the argument of "we've already heard it" all that convincing.

If Bono is calling it a B side, I dont think its very promising that it will turn up on the next album. Most likely a B side (if at all). Bono is the king of overhype and if even he is saying its B side material, I dont think he has a super high opinion of it. :shrug: If they thought it was that great they would have left it on Bomb.

I like the song, think it should have been left on Bomb. But now I think it should be a B side at best

Hopefully Mercy will NEVER be on ANY album.

Let me clarify: I LOVE THIS SONG. But any changes or re-release will only take away from its mystique.

Let's just all hope it remains a rare gem for the die hard fans to continue to drool over for ages to come. :)

Dude Mercy is too good to be on the next album. Mercy deserves its own BBC sitcom.

I dont care where they put it, I just want a cd quality recording of it. I love the damn song and it deserves much better than the crap mp3 weve got.

I hope so.

Despite the "best B-side ever" line it never made any Bomb singles which makes me think they may have plans for it.

It will probably be the lead single off the best of 00's Cd, if there ever is one.
I dont buy the argument that its too over exposed, maybe among the internet u2 community but not amongst the millios of fans or semi fans around the world. For example I've never heard it.

shootme.gif

i highly doubt they'd ever think of putting a song that they know full well has been out there for years on a new studio album... and any song they put on a hits compilation would, i imagine, be a song that they believe could get radio play... mercy is like 6 minutes long, it is not exactly "radio friendly"

if it ever does get a proper release i would imagine it would be as a B-side somewhere, or perhaps lent to a soundtrack or something like that. maybe on a future update of the iTunes "unreleased and rare" set :shrug:

No, they won't use a NEW song as a B-Side!! Are you mad :)

More like:

WITS [Acoustic Version]

as the B-Side lol

Mercy is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's what U2 has been lacking in the past 6 years. It's the best song U2 has written since the early 90's.

U2 will release a reworked version of it on their next album which will be out next October. Mark my words. Bump this thread in 11 months.

Canadiens1160 said:
Dude Mercy is too good to be on the next album. Mercy deserves its own BBC sitcom.

HA!

Mercy only slept with Window in the skies because she thought that Pride was in bed with Elevation! Actually, Elevation was just screwing the fans!;)

Just listened to it again. Give it the Rubin polish and slap that sucker on the next album. I still like it better than anything on HTDAAB. :yes:

i bet it will be on the next album. they held it over for a reason. just like HEARTLAND from the joshua tree never getting a b side release, because they were holding it for a future album. sure, it sounds nothing like God Part II or When Love Comes To Town, but they still put it on RATTLE AND HUM because it deserved to be an album track.

so yeah, i think it will be on the next album.

Clawgrabber said:
i bet it will be on the next album. they held it over for a reason. just like HEARTLAND from the joshua tree never getting a b side release, because they were holding it for a future album. sure, it sounds nothing like God Part II or When Love Comes To Town, but they still put it on RATTLE AND HUM because it deserved to be an album track.

so yeah, i think it will be on the next album.
It boggles my mind that Joshua Tree is so good that not even 'Heartland' made the cut.

Clawgrabber said:
i bet it will be on the next album. they held it over for a reason. just like HEARTLAND from the joshua tree never getting a b side release, because they were holding it for a future album. sure, it sounds nothing like God Part II or When Love Comes To Town

Quite right...its miles better.

If they released mercy on their next album it would mean that there would be a chance to hear the song live in a next tour.

So release it!

If they release Mercy on their next album they may as well hang up their guitars as a band. Putting finished material from several years back on a new album would pretty much mark the end of all positive creativity in the U2 camp.

Back
Top Bottom