Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh ... was the Mojo review the only place we've seen a mention to the song being about abuse by the church? Was that backed up anywhere by the band, or in other articles? Or did this review's interpretation just stick within our brains?

From Bono's liner notes:

"Some can live with cruelty and abuse. Some have to... when the children of any church aren't served but instead enslaved by an abuse of power, extraordinary acts of atonement are required to put things back together...honesty is just the starting point...secrets can make you sick"

You know if they play this live there's no way in hell Bono will be able to keep his trap shut for the last minute of the song during the guitar and outro.

I just hope it isn't the "rapping" like at the end of MOS during 360 :yuck:

You know if they play this live there's no way in hell Bono will be able to keep his trap shut for the last minute of the song during the guitar and outro.

I just hope it isn't the "rapping" like at the end of MOS during 360 :yuck:

Everything I clap my hands, somethingsomething.

Huh ... was the Mojo review the only place we've seen a mention to the song being about abuse by the church? Was that backed up anywhere by the band, or in other articles? Or did this review's interpretation just stick within our brains?

U2's Songs Of Innocence: First Review! | MOJO

This one had a quote from Bono that specifically mentioned abuse in the church too.

Bono’s Dublin: ‘A long way from where I live’

“Then I went a bit further and remembered all the violence meted out to women by their husbands, the beatings children experienced from their fathers and how, at that time particularly, priests were sexually abusing young children.”

This track is the one that brought me over to liking this album. POP is the album that made me like U2 and this one feels like it could easily be Track 9ish in that record.

I can even imagine Macphisto signing it (yes, I'm aware that was before POP). The U2 magic is right there in this one.

totally agree, I feel like it could fit on either Zooropa or Pop, which is U2 at their most interesting imo.

but for me the best edge is the one that uses the guitar to provide depth, textures and sonic landscapes to the music as he did so well in the 80s and in the 90s. i think that this album brings that edge back and the song where that is more visible is sleep like a baby tonight.

:up: not to say Edge didn't do some fantastic guitarwork in the 00s, but this album brought out a more subtle and interesting Edge than the last three albums. much more textured, as you said.

From Bono's liner notes:

"Some can live with cruelty and abuse. Some have to... when the children of any church aren't served but instead enslaved by an abuse of power, extraordinary acts of atonement are required to put things back together...honesty is just the starting point...secrets can make you sick"

Sinead O'Connor was goading Bono on this subject. She had been pestering him two years ago to stand up and speak out about sexual abuse in the church and when she received no reply lambasted him in the press. I wonder if this song was in answer to that.

Lots to love on this album, but on my very first listen this dirty little freak of a song jumped out at me. It is easily my favorite (which kind of scares me, 'cause... subject matter, right?? :ohmy: ) and makes me understand why slowly, over the last decade or so, AB has become my all-time favorite album. :shifty: i love dark, dirty, gritty U2... :shifty: :shh:

Nice to see I'm in good company, though. SLAB is a sexy beast and I do sooooo hope it gets to see the light of day on tour. :drool:

probably my favorite tune on this album! :drool::drool: It's just perfect!

"Hope is where the door is
When the church is where the war is
Where no one can feel no one else’s pain"

The way this part is delivered is incredible.

Agreed 100%. That part there is the best. Always great to see the falsetto return even if it is only for one small section. :D

This song reminds me of Babyface and Zooropa in general. Contrary to popular opinion here, I love Babyface for his vocal delivery and those drums and pacing. I love SLABT for the pacing again, his vocal delivery and that lovely synth!

This is giving me chills, too.

It's an interesting song. I thought about the lyrics a lot. Clearly, the imagery and metaphors (purple, colors of forgiveness, Christmas, church etc.) hint towards a church/religious theme, but I seriously doubt that, without Bono's hints, it could be so easily interpreted as a song about child abuse. For me, it's a song that's open to many different interpretations. It has a disturbing atmosphere and a feeling of unease about it, which makes it great in a very dark way, but I am still not sure who's actually talking in that song and who's talked to. It's intriguing.

Amazing song, music and lyrics are really sleazy. His falsetto on the above lyrics is almost like he's the choirboy hoping for someone to come through the door and wage war on the church and the abuse so Its not recycled where abused become abuser and the pain goes on.

Probably my favorite song on the album right now; neck-a-neck with Every breaking Wave.

Is it just me or does this song not sound eerily similar to the garage mix of Holy Joe? Try singing the lyrics over the verse...

Maybe I am just delusional...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Did Bono or any other member comment on what the song is about? I must have missed it in the interviews I've heard.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, it's in the liner notes. It's basically about child sexual abuse in the church.

I'm glad to hear it from him. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom