Singles charts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Anyone know how the singles charts work these days?

I'm just wondering when we can expect YTBTAM's UK chart position? Sunday?

I ask because 1, I've not followed singles charts since like 2004, and 2, the SOI songs were not available to buy and thus never got chart positions - will this be different?

But yet 26 on the us iTunes

Yep. Now up to 21 on the UK itunes actually.

Of course the problem here is their streaming is nearly non-existent when most big songs on the chart are stream-heavy.

That and the fact that it's being released with only two days left in the chart week.

Anyone know how streams and YouTube views calculate into "sales". Like 100 streams equals a song purchase?

I'm googling and it seems that streaming is counted toward album sales, but don't see anything about singles...

Last edited:
Anyone know how streams and YouTube views calculate into "sales". Like 100 streams equals a song purchase?

I'm googling and it seems that streaming is counted toward album sales, but don't see anything about singles...

From wikipedia. "The Hot 100 formula starting 2013 generally incorporates sales (35–45%), airplay (30–40%) and streaming (20–30%), and the precise percentage can change from week to week.[8]"

Streaming is probably a bit higher than sales and airplay now since that's the dominant method of music consumption

From wikipedia. "The Hot 100 formula starting 2013 generally incorporates sales (35–45%), airplay (30–40%) and streaming (20–30%), and the precise percentage can change from week to week.[8]"

Streaming is probably a bit higher than sales and airplay now since that's the dominant method of music consumption

Thank you! Much appreciated

Number 17 uk iTunes

Why wasn't it released on a Friday so it would have a full week of sales to chart. Don't make sense

Currently number 13 on US iTunes.

Would expect that to improve tomorrow after Fallon, but yet it's getting zero push or promo here in the U.K. apart from some radio interviews, not sure how they will keep momentum up until December?

Number 17 uk iTunes

Why wasn't it released on a Friday so it would have a full week of sales to chart. Don't make sense

Exactly. That's what I've been saying. The initial flurry of hype is going to be in that first week anyway, so why divide it up?

Liam Gallagher's comeback single in the UK would have debuted in the Top 15, maybe even Top 10, except he released it on a Thursday and it only went to #60 that week (though #21 the following week).

Exactly. That's what I've been saying. The initial flurry of hype is going to be in that first week anyway, so why divide it up?

Liam Gallagher's comeback single in the UK would have debuted in the Top 15, maybe even Top 10, except he released it on a Thursday and it only went to #60 that week (though #21 the following week).

Did Liam do the same then? Madness

They need to get on the Jonathan Ross or graham norton. They did jools holland for the last album maybe they will do that again

Please what ever they do don't do the X factor

Did Liam do the same then? Madness

They need to get on the Jonathan Ross or graham norton. They did jools holland for the last album maybe they will do that again

Please what ever they do don't do the X factor

They are over in the US now though so next to no chance of them doing any of those shows, and by the time they get over here the single will be months old, maybe they are planning promo for second single over here?

Honestly the fact that they wouldn't officially release this song on a Friday to get the full week counted and that they didn't officially release the far superior Sci Fi Soul mix of the song as well the Kygo remix in a 3 track single (as both versions would be additional streams for the single, especially the Kygo one) is going to hurt them. AND that they're not releasing it to radio all in the same week to which would also count towards the charts and increase exposure.

I'm not as negative on this song as I was earlier, but the album version is fairly weak and if they're aiming for a high charting release, they've certainly done a good job of bungling it.

There has to be some science behind it. Maybe they find the. Ist effective days for sales/push up the charts are 6-9 after release?

There has to be some science behind it. Maybe they find the. Ist effective days for sales/push up the charts are 6-9 after release?

But the problem is that the vast majority of downloads and streams for a band like U2 will indeed come in the first week of release. It's the reason Boots made it to the Top 40 and Discotheque went Top 10. Those songs peaked in their first week, but fell off the chart soon after. Hell, Vertigo was the most downloaded song on iTunes in history the week it came out (though digital downloads weren't counted by billboard yet so it ended up not as high on the charts based on radio play and CD single sales alone).

Beautiful Day of course peaked on the Hot 100 a few months after release, but that song really had staying power.

Yeah - in just speculating. If another act that the kids would categorise as 'legacy' is using the tactic, there must be some thinking behind it is all

Number 17 uk iTunes

I think there is logic here. U2 is an established band. Maybe the most established band.
They will get a huge initial amount of attention, downloads, views, streams, etc...
enough for them to chart the first week in a (hopefully) respectable position. The next few weeks they get radio add ons, continued, but more modest streaming and views, and hopefully go up the chart instead of dropping after the first big week.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom