Singles charts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there is logic here. U2 is an established band. Maybe the most established band.
They will get a huge initial amount of attention, downloads, views, streams, etc...
enough for them to chart the first week in a (hopefully) respectable position. The next few weeks they get radio add ons, continued, but more modest streaming and views, and hopefully go up the chart instead of dropping after the first big week.

Just a thought.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Although I really don't foresee them charting very highly at all in this first week. There's simply not going to be enough time in the sales week.

I get that they're aiming for it being a big hit pushed by radio and such over the next few months, but I just think, wouldn't it have been nice to have that full first week drive as a fallback just in case the radio push was a bust. Then they still would technically have their "Top 40 single".

Yeah, you're telling me man. I got no clue.

Apparently, they're banking heavily on radio picking it up and turning it into a bonafide mainstream hit so that the sales and streams will increase over time and it will peak high on the Hot 100 a few months from now (ie. closer to the album release date).

But of course, wouldn't it be easier to get these stations to play it if the single actually made it into the Top 40 in its first week as opposed to #80 or something.

Sad thing is iTunes charts really don't mean much anymore. The vast majority of music consumption has migrated to streaming over the past 5 years. Itunes downloads are only one small piece of the bigger puzzle.

For example, the rapper Logic just recently entered the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 last week following a performance at the VMAs.

Currently he's #19 on the Pop radio stations, #4 on "Rhythmic" radio stations, #3 on iTunes, #2 on Spotify, #12 on Youtube, and #6 on Apple Music.

U2 is currently #12 on iTunes, but not charting on anything else. TBT is also only selling about 20% of what Taylor Swift's newest single is.

Out of all the singles charts around the world, do you think it's fair to say that the most important one to U2 is the US hot 100?

Back
Top Bottom