"Singing like a Bird" ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not supposed to put accross my own opinion but only that of professionals. Those who have studied music theory. By just listening to stuff I'll end up like those who talk about. Posters who judge singers based on one or few performances or songs.

Massive, hugely flawed and impossibly ridiculous fail on your part, I'm sorry. That's basically what you did with MJB. You wrote her off as a pop artist based on your dislike of her and what some dimwit elitist told you.

Like I said: until you actually start listening, you'll never have a credible leg to stand on.

So you think backing singers are to cover something rather than just that's the mood they wanted. Maybe they wanted a more space age gospel feel to it, huh, maybe?

He shouldn't have done that after what he did 3 years agoi? He should have pulled out all the stops instead. Unless they are all singing different harmonic parts. Are they? I'm tone deaf.

You have an equalizer on your car stereo, maybe not a graphic one but you have one, most mid to high end home stereos have an equalizer. They allow you to adjust bass, mids, treble, etc

I don't drive but my old stereo had one of these. One of my CD players has an equalizer. I only realized this the other day when I accidently pressed it and I've had it for 10 years. I'd forgotton about it. In the instructions I think it will say what these little lines mean but on the display everytime you press it these little lines keep appearing in different positions like _-=, =--_ _- and --_ _=. I don't know what they mean, but the sound changes everytime I press it.

I take solace in the knowledge that one day, maybe a decade or so down the road, when you've cut the umbilical cord to your professor, you'll actually be able to critically evaluate music with your own ears and come to your own experienced conclusions.

You do realize that this is this ability is the single most important skill or nugget you can hope to take away from 4 or more years at a post-secondary institution, right? In any discipline. Even your favorite professor hopes that you'll develop this for yourself. It's what you go to university for, not so you can recite what the prof told you over and over.

He shouldn't have done that after what he did 3 years agoi? He should have pulled out all the stops instead.
You're the only one in the world that thinks he has to somehow make up for one freaking song...:doh:

I'm tone deaf.

This kind of makes a lot of your arguments in the past saying that you heard this you heard that moot...

When I was at uni I was chastized for having an opinion of my own. I was told to that when I was writing essays, I had to back it up with an academic source, just like the source that professional describes Mary, Mariah and Celine as pop singers and Bono as arock singers. It also says that pop singers don't have great voices.

I may be tone deaf, but I can still hear altered pitch. It sounds funny and I think on that version of One you can hear it worse than on Hoobastank's The Reason. Plus Redtape backs up my opinion (a professional source).

Are you seriously tone deaf? I seriously need to know this, I'm not about dissing people with valid challenges to their abilities and if it's so then I guess I would owe you a bit of an apology, although I'd still say you're selling yourself a bit short by listening to this prof of yours. Honestly, being tone deaf would be a huge challenge to being able to critically evaluate melody pitch and tone, would it not?

When I was at uni I was chastized for having an opinion of my own. I was told to that when I was writing essays, I had to back it up with an academic source

Most music journalists are no more "academic" than most of us.
That is, with regard to having particular insight into a piece of music.
Maybe they can write and articulate it better (that's arguable) but that doesn't give their opinions any more weight than anyone else on this forum or out in the street.

Talking about music is almost entirely subjective opinion.
You don't have to justify anything if you don't want to.
Most people around here don't.

Just be your own "source".

P.S. I think you're "taking the piss" anyways.

Bono's voice has vastly improved since that long break in 2006 between the South America and Australia legs. I noticed almost immediately when watching Sydney clips on YouTube. The album is studio proof of the improvement of his voice. The kermit/opera voice is still around because it helps Bono control his high notes, even though I imagine it gives him a dry throat (watch how he is hitting the water bottles after he uses that voice).

The falsetto is improved even though it is seriously lacking when we are comparing to ZooTV (Satellite of Love is a great falsetto performance). I've noticed that the falsetto used in With or Without You is becoming a one continuity, and not fragmented.

Overall, his voice is back. I would say it's Bono almost at his peak...considering age, of course.

I'm not taking the piss. But I do like to use academic sources and I shall continue to do so
And what academic source can you cite that supports your previously stated views Jeff Buckley. There is a big difference between showing off and immersing yourself in your performance.

And what academic source can you cite that supports your previously stated views Jeff Buckley. There is a big difference between showing off and immersing yourself in your performance.

wikipedia = :up:

91655171_5a2bbb72f4.jpg

But I do like to use academic sources and I shall continue to do so

Yes but some guy who uses the name Redrum who calls himself a producer on some random forum is not a source.

I can go sign up on a producers forum call myself babyface but it doesn't make me a producer, nor does it make anymore knowledgeable...:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom