Should U2 release a ballad as the first single off the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing GOYB needs is breathing room. The drum and bass are great, Edge has a nice riff, and the vocals are solid. Its just too tight or produced.

It seems U2 doesn't give their songs any space anymore. A few have them but for the most part their are no more epic intros or its just too grand. They need to let the rhythm take over. Bono doesn't need to sing on top of every note in the song.

There are so many songs I listen to by bands like Cut Copy, Wild Nothing, M83, & Youth Lagoon that have a big sound but give their songs much needed breathing room. I hope Danger Mouse emits those type of songs/bands into the next U2 project.

As Nick put it, "elevation sucks donkey balls". We don't need that kind of song again.

In fact, there was never a need for a song like that.

Aw, you're the original OpenG180! I could never hope to match your eloquence.

But hey, I hear sucking donkey balls is HUGE in South America! Can you confirm? What's your experience been?

Aw, you're the original OpenG180! I could never hope to match your eloquence.

But hey, I hear sucking donkey balls is HUGE in South America! Can you confirm? What's your experience been?

You could never match my eloquence, Nick, simply because you lack the necessary intelligence for that.

As for your childish and idiotic comment about South America, what can i say? All i can think is that quote Mark Twain borrowed from Kant: "never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".

As for your childish and idiotic comment about South America, what can i say?

i don't think you need to say anything - that comment pretty much speaks for itself... it made my eyes pop out of my head anyway...

i don't think you need to say anything - that comment pretty much speaks for itself... it made my eyes pop out of my head anyway...

Yea, that came out of nowhere.

Cheap comment from a cheap character with an even cheaper mind.

Borderline racist.

They have always excelled the most with ballads. What do you folks think?

NYD, Pride, WOWY, Desire, The Fly, Numb, Discotheque, BD, Vertigo, Boots.

Notice the pattern of lead singles being guitar driven rock songs that work. Well, minus Boots and I think MW would be a great lead single. Just as fresh as The Fly, yet actually something the radio cared about.

No, they should not be going out with a ballad. And challenging ? Never, but very trend-conscious since the early 90's.

You could never match my eloquence, Nick, simply because you lack the necessary intelligence for that.

Well, you initiated this by falsely trying to ascribe your colourful phrase to me, and you know perfectly well my comment about South America was a reference to your repeatedly saying how Pop was "huge" in South America. So please, save the victim routine for someone who isn't as familiar with your particular brand of "eloquence".

If you love hearing that, i'll say it again: Pop was HUGE in South America.

It was huge. At least in Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.

My problem was repeating your words and sinking to your level for once. No worries, I won't make that mistake again.

Well, you initiated this by falsely trying to ascribe your colourful phrase to me, and you know perfectly well my comment about South America was a reference to your repeatedly saying how Pop was big in South America. So please, save the victim routine.

My problem was repeating your words and sinking to your level for once. No worries, I won't make that mistake again.

You are embarassing yourself. Again.

I do recommend that, next time, you address your posts to anyone who cares. There must be someone here who cares.

I don't.

I'd like there will be a song sung by The Edge in the new album!

Me too, that would be quite awesome.

In terms of the first single for the next album, i'd definitely prefer a big rocking anthem in favour of a ballad, but something more akin to beautiful day, rather than another 'classic rock' style tune like vertigo. I think a huge, uplifting, energetic song could be a great 'we're back' kind of moment.

Then again, a ballad or a more funky tune (something gorillaz-esque) would certainly be more left field, and might be what u2 needs to show people that they still have something new/different to offer. Either way, i certainly agree with u2dmfan that whatever it is, it has to be different. It should 'reintroduce' the band in a new way... Not necessarily completely overhaul their sound to the point where they're unrecognisable, but certainly it should offer something unique. I can't see 'more of the same' interesting anyone outside of the hardcore fanbase, really.

Can't imagine what they'll actually come up with... They're working with a completely new producer, and it's undeniable that danger mouse will help to transform the sound of the band. Whatever artist he works with, he leaves a noticeable sonic mark, and i couldn't see a u2 album produced by him having a 'generic' u2 sound at all.

Me too, that would be quite awesome.

In terms of the first single for the next album, i'd definitely prefer a big rocking anthem in favour of a ballad, but something more akin to beautiful day, rather than another 'classic rock' style tune like vertigo. I think a huge, uplifting, energetic song could be a great 'we're back' kind of moment.

Then again, a ballad or a more funky tune (something gorillaz-esque) would certainly be more left field, and might be what u2 needs to show people that they still have something new/different to offer. Either way, i certainly agree with u2dmfan that whatever it is, it has to be different. It should 'reintroduce' the band in a new way... Not necessarily completely overhaul their sound to the point where they're unrecognisable, but certainly it should offer something unique. I can't see 'more of the same' interesting anyone outside of the hardcore fanbase, really.

Can't imagine what they'll actually come up with... They're working with a completely new producer, and it's undeniable that danger mouse will help to transform the sound of the band. Whatever artist he works with, he leaves a noticeable sonic mark, and i couldn't see a u2 album produced by him having a 'generic' u2 sound at all.

I don't think a ballad in the vein of Bowie's recent single would be what U2 needed to grab anyone's attention. But any single would have to be "unique" in terms of sound or texture to grab some attention out there. I do agree that working with a new producer could give them that type of sound, at least compared to one's they've worked for before.

As Nick put it, "elevation sucks donkey balls". We don't need that kind of song again.

In fact, there was never a need for a song like that.

Hmmm... well in that case, it's pretty amazing how many people get jacked up and sing along to a "sucks donkey balls" song in a live setting.

U2 - Elevation (Live) - YouTube

:up:

And Nick... you really felt that GOYB was challenging?? It was the catchiest freaking song on the album. Magnificent would have been the perfect recognizably U2 song to put out there.

I've heard "Get On Your Boots" called alot of things, catchiest freaking song on the album has never been one of them. Until now, of course.

I just think they need to choose the best song from a new record and release that first, whether it's a ballad or not. In the U.S., they are only likely to get airplay from the first single. They should pick the best song and release that. The remaining singles won't make much difference in the U.S.

I just think they need to choose the best song from a new record and release that first, whether it's a ballad or not. In the U.S., they are only likely to get airplay from the first single. They should pick the best song and release that. The remaining singles won't make much difference in the U.S.

That's a nice opinion, but are you one of
The informed among us
or just a schlub whole likes U2 records?

MOR listeners enjoy music that is:

Bland
Boring
Mundane
Indistinct
Banal
Dull
Uninspiring
Unexciting
Weak
Diffuse
Characterless
Prosaic
Tedious
Hackneyed
Lackluster

You know, not 80s and 90s U2.

Ok. I've now been informed by LemonMelon that U2DMFan thinks that "The informed among us" means people who don't like music that is

Bland
Boring
Mundane
Indistinct
Banal
Dull
Uninspiring
Unexciting
Weak
Diffuse
Characterless
Prosaic
Tedious
Hackneyed
Lackluster

And people who dislike like U2 songs from 2000-2011.

People who enjoy those things aren't informed. Because of the records they like. Subjective preference=knowledge. Fantastic.

Those people aren't informed. Because of the records they like.

You have the logic backward.

Uninformed people listen to MOR music because they don't know any better. A Big Mac is edible until you've had a lovingly made burger.

Elevation is a dull song that sounds great when played loudly enough. But it will never be a good song. You notice this after you've heard enough of them.

waldo1017.jpg

You have the logic backward.

Uninformed people listen to MOR music because they don't know any better. A Big Mac is edible until you've had a lovingly made burger.

Elevation is a dull song that sounds great when played loudly enough. But it will never be a good song.

Who am I to argue?

I'm not as informed about my own musical taste as you are.

You're heard and appreciated more records than I have.

You know better than, I do what I should like.

I to dumb 2 know wat too enjoy. Me uninformed music fan.

You smart bout what I should likee.

I do what U say. I hate "Elevation." Now I informed music fan.

If you say so.

No.

You say so.

Do you actually do that in person? Talk about a song you dislike? With a person who likes said song?

And say "Hey Joe, you dig that tune? You're uninformed for liking that. If you knew what I know, you wouldn't dig that. I KNOW MUSIC."

You pull that off live? You actually call people whole like records you don't like "uninformed?"

You don't fall back on "different strokes for different folks", you actually call them uninformed? They're somehow stupid for liking a song you don't like?

Not entirely true. Your post was a satirical application of my own, so your input was equally valuable. :up:

I've heard "Get On Your Boots" called alot of things, catchiest freaking song on the album has never been one of them. Until now, of course.

What?... are you saying it is not catchy? The verses especially are extremely catchy just like Vertigo's verses. They sound readymade for mass consumption! lol.

Back
Top Bottom