Should U2 Record Their Next Album in North Africa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Bono needs to be there. I know he annoys everyone, but he really is the guy that pushes them on the creative front.

He's not there, and they seem to get complacent.

For being MIA some of the time, the singer/lyricist was rather good on NLOTH.

Meanwhile the constantly-there guitar player keeps resting on his laurels most of this decade.

:shrug:

It's amazing to me that some fans still think U2 have a "masterpiece" left in them. And that they are capable of writing music just as they did 20+ years ago. They don't. They can't.

Airseven said:
It's amazing to me that some fans still think U2 have a "masterpiece" left in them. And that they are capable of writing music just as they did 20+ years ago. They don't. They can't.

It's amazing to me that some fans think U2 don't have a "masterpiece" left in them :shrug: ~ every breaking wave, rise up and the genius that is nloth and breathe point to some pretty interesting ideas to me (especially coming off the back of the mess that was htdaab) ~ my :twocents:

So, the glass is half empty then?

I beg to differ. They already gave me their third masterpiece with NLOTH. So that alone is proof enough they still got it.

Does anyone else find this thread hilarious? They already tried going to North Africa to get away from it all. Either it didn't work, or it did work but the band ballsed it up by tarting their songs up in the old U2 veneer. I suspect the latter.

U2girl said:
For being MIA some of the time, the singer/lyricist was rather good on NLOTH.

Meanwhile the constantly-there guitar player keeps resting on his laurels most of this decade.

:shrug:

funny, i quite enjoy the music on no line, whereas i find lyrics in songs like boots, magnificent and especially unknown caller to be nausiating.

Regardless... the band is at its best when they are all in the room... especially bono because he is the true creative force behind the band.

funny, i quite enjoy the music on no line, whereas i find lyrics in songs like boots, magnificent and especially unknown caller to be nausiating.

Regardless... the band is at its best when they are all in the room... especially bono because he is the true creative force behind the band.

the lyrics were indeed hit-and-miss on the last album, but Bono's vocals were worthy of considerable praise (particularly on NLOTH, Moment of Surrender, White as Snow & Cedars)

Airseven said:
They don't. They can't.

Have you met u2girl? Y'all should get married, you both have the ability to just end all discussion due to the fact that your opinions are the absolute final truth :up:

I won't even charge you like match.com. This one is on me.

I think they will want to at least try it before the end though.

That said...

Some would consider War or UF a masterpiece.

For most of the outside world, next to JT and AB, ATYCLB will be/is the third defining moment of their career.

Bob Dylan recorded Time Out of Mind after years of performing at the very lowest level of his career. Of course U2 can still record very good material, perhaps even their best. Airseven won't stop them from that, only their lack of ambition.

Not sure if that's a legit comparison; it's arguably easier for a solo performer to have a rejuvenation than for a group of people to suddenly all work together at peak levels of creativity at the same time.

Songwriting is songwriting, and only two of them are significantly responsible for that.

Plus, we both know Lanois deserves a huge portion of the credit for making Time Out of Mind what it is. Even Bob admits to that, though he seems to regret it now. It wasn't a one man project.

Is Bono answering his own question here? Could recording in North Africa be the answer to finding the correct location to record their next masterpiece?

from the article at: U2 - Page - Interview Magazine

BONO:
Location seems to be important to us, geography. I don’t know where we’re gonna go next.

MOOALLEM: Everybody seems to be trying to answer that question right now: the question of where to go next. We’re in one of those confused moments—not unlike the early ’90s.

BONO: It is exactly that kind of moment. I mean, we’re talking about a time 20 years ago when the Iron Curtain was being drawn and torn down. That’s exactly what’s happening in North Africa right now. People are out on the streets, and they’re searching for themselves.

They should try recording at Jimmy Buffets Studio in Key West!

Have you met u2girl? Y'all should get married, you both have the ability to just end all discussion due to the fact that your opinions are the absolute final truth :up:

I won't even charge you like match.com. This one is on me.

The irony of you calling out anyone else on "opinions being the absolute truth"...

Songwriting is songwriting, and only two of them are significantly responsible for that.

Plus, we both know Lanois deserves a huge portion of the credit for making Time Out of Mind what it is. Even Bob admits to that, though he seems to regret it now. It wasn't a one man project.

Come on, you know the way the band works. The songs go through a lot of mutation with each band member adding elements until it reaches the final version.

Also, while Lanois was certainly responsible for the atmospherics on TOOM, Dylan did a perfectly find job going back to producing on his own with Love & Theft, which arguably sounds better, more timeless, etc. I think song-for-song it's also superior in terms of composition.

Back
Top Bottom