Should the band be on the new album cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the band be on the album cover?

• Yes

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 39.6%

• Total voters
Oh and back to topic, we don't need a close up of all of them ala October, JT, Pop, etc. But I think they should be on the cover in someway.

I say no.

The cover should show four old men propped up by pillars. Three of them can wear shades.

An especially cool album cover = cooler posters, cooler logos, cooler tattoo opportunities, cooler tour shirts, etc. So yeah, it matters!

PLEASE no more covers of the boys in black & white, staring off into different directions. Been there, done that!

Is it November yet? :hyper:

I'd have to listen to the album first before I could decide what I think the cover should look like.

If U2 would like my opinion on the album cover, they should feel free to send me a copy so I can have a listen and give them some insight. In fact, I'm an art student! Hire me, U2!

Doesn't matter to me. If they're on the cover, let them please do something other than look exhausted, a la HTDAAB. :tsk:

I'd have to listen to the album first before I could decide what I think the cover should look like.

If U2 would like my opinion on the album cover, they should feel free to send me a copy so I can have a listen and give them some insight. In fact, I'm an art student! Hire me, U2!

I agree, Rachel D.:wink:

U2 needs to hire me too since I used to work in a modern art museum. I could give them some pointers on cubism, post-modernism and all that jazz.

But, I won't hold my breath. :laugh:

Doesn't matter to me. If they're on the cover, let them please do something other than look exhausted, a la HTDAAB. :tsk:

It'll be a black and white album cover with a shot of 4 blurry men in the middle distance with whited out faces because...

1. They are getting old so if you didn't white out their faces you would see the wrinkles

2. All 4 members have to be on the cover so people know it's a U2 album. Even if the photo is black and white and blurry it doesn't matter because people know Bono by his shades and Edge by his beanie

3. A black and white cover reminds people of The Joshua Tree

No matter what happens, I will photoshop the new album cover to include Admiral Ackbar. That is my promise.

Yes we can!

What do you guys reckon...Its time for a change. They have been on the cover of the last 3 albums. We need something a bit different IMO.

Interesting question. I'd never considered not having images of the band. That's one thing I've always loved about U2, compared to The Cure or Radiohead: that its artwork has pictures of the band, so I don't have to look in magazines to see what it looks like.

As long as it's tastefully done a la Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree or even Pop (which had amazing-looking liner notes, but not enough pictures of the band members), I'll be happy. I hated the cover and liner notes for HTDAAB (especially the lazy look of the band) and I think the pictures for ATYCLB could have been nicer, though they weren't bad.

I also hated the liner notes for Zooropa, so nothing artsy fartsy.

Also, why does everyone keep saying Achtung Baby doesn't have shots of the band? It's not one self-conscious photo, but they band are all over: Edge's pants and hands, Bono's face, Larry, the band in the top left corner, top right hand corner and second row from the top. Great stuff. I'd also like more laughter in photos; AB has Adam laughing in the lower left hand corner. I don't want the band trying to look too cool. It worked for Joshua Tree, but they've been pushing it recently. Smile, guys!

It'll be a black and white album cover with a shot of 4 blurry men in the middle distance with whited out faces because...

1. They are getting old so if you didn't white out their faces you would see the wrinkles

2. All 4 members have to be on the cover so people know it's a U2 album. Even if the photo is black and white and blurry it doesn't matter because people know Bono by his shades and Edge by his beanie

3. A black and white cover reminds people of The Joshua Tree

Yeah, but they already did black and white 2 albums ago. I personally hate black and white; it's so dreary; I guess the golden borders for JT helped.

You know what? My favorite liner notes are Pop (I love the silver with the colors) and especially Achtung Baby!

:lol:
I agree with you...it's time for a change...I'd like an artsy album cover sort of like AB....very colorful, crazy, etc...

my second favorite! :up::up:

, I want something simple and atmospheric. Black and white would be great, but a few colours would also do. And I'm all for a band-less cover.

and I could go for this too..:yes:

I actually like this smiley :huh:

Me too.. Leave :huh: smilie alone..:madwife:

You know what? My favorite liner notes are Pop (I love the silver with the colors) and especially Achtung Baby!

Winner :up: POP # 1 :hyper:

I like the AB shots more, but the Pop packaging is stellar. Hopefully the new one will have coverage of the entire span of the recording process and not a "let's go to the airport and knock out the booklet in a day" mindset.

Yeah, that Zooropa graphic design is pretty garish and schizo. That hasn't dated well.

One of the few issues I had with "Atomic Bomb" was the fact that the cover wasn't as imaginative as it could have been so I'm hoping their new album is a little different since they're trying to shake things up

Back
Top Bottom