Short vides + upcoming feature in The Guardian/Observer (updated 02/16)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, i'm going to bang on about this, so all apologies...
Someone who has heard the album (Walt?) is that riff with those keys over the top on the album, it sounds immense and exotic, exactly what i was expecting from this album...

What about the piano piece at the end, SURELY that's made the cut? I'm already gutted that those beautiful strings in dallas.swf seem to have been ignored...

I always fear that they duck out or go safe right at the end of recording an album, i wanted them to stay strong with this and i hope they have...

The Observer (which is kind of like The Guardian but only on Sundays) has a magazine every week, and this week it's the Observer Music Monthly, with U2 on the cover and a full feature. It comes out at the same time as the paper, therefore sometimes tomorrow night or Sunday morning it will be available. I imagine the second video promised will be up at the same time.

I'll get The Observer like every week on Sunday, but I think everything will be available online anyways (Latest news, sport, business, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk)

The Observer (which is kind of like The Guardian but only on Sundays) has a magazine every week, and this week it's the Observer Music Monthly, with U2 on the cover and a full feature. It comes out at the same time as the paper, therefore sometimes tomorrow night or Sunday morning it will be available. I imagine the second video promised will be up at the same time.

I'll get The Observer like every week on Sunday, but I think everything will be available online anyways (Latest news, sport, business, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk)

Yes, they do feature everything on the web. If I recall, the follow-up is due this weekend.

Guardian Review

4/5

First off, let's get a few things straight. U2's new African direction has not really materialised. In fact, it's pretty much confined to the sublime twitter of Moroccan birdsong at the start of Unknown Caller (at least Franz Ferdinand stuck with their Afrobeat adventure for a whole song). As for the inherently ridiculous idea of Bono writing songs "in character" (as if he wasn't already writing them in the character of Bono), well, that amounts to little more than the Iron John day trip of White as Snow, and Cedars of Lebanon's closing nod to the agit-prop genius of mid-period Human League.

And if you've read about Edge's axe-heroes summit meeting with Jack White and Jimmy Page and are expecting a radical shift towards him playing more than one note in each song, there's no need to worry. The patron saint of it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it has kept faith with the two basic moves that have sustained him throughout three full decades in U2's engine room - namely the chug-a-chugga-chug thing and the wobbly note thing.

So why is it that once the clammy sea mist of all the things that No Line on the Horizon isn't has finally drifted away, the ocean-going leviathan that actually hoves into view is so much more impressive than any of the phantasms conjured up by two or three years of pre-release hoopla? Well, chiefly because this third album in what might fairly be called the "lap of honour" phase of U2's career - in which they have gleefully inscribed ever-increasing circles around the triumphalist spectacle of their own ongoing medal ceremony - offers a brutally effective summation of their achievements to date, and something entirely fresh and new at the same time.

It starts out blustery and familiar, before gradually revealing an unexpected and almost lovable sense of vulnerability. A record whose three catchiest songs - the Abba-tinged, Kiss-worthy I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, the buzzily priapic Queens of the Stone Age tribute Get on Your Boots, and the glaringly self-referential Stand Up Comedy - are the work of four unapologetically middle-aged men. And a record whose finest moments - Bono seeing his own reflection in a cash machine on Moment of Surrender; the euphoric, computer-generated call-and-response of Unknown Caller; and the Kings Of Leon-vaporising 70s rock power-surge of Breathe - are as memorable as any U2 have ever created.

Of all the four stages of U2's evolution, the last one, in which they have pulled out of the commercial swallow dive of their "ironic" phase into a seemingly endless Indian summer, has been by some distance the most interesting. While every wannabe world-beater from Arcade Fire to the Killers seems to have fixated on the brazen grandstanding of phase two (from War to Rattle and Hum), U2 are the only ones with the courage to remember that they moved backwards as well as forwards in that period, becoming not just the biggest band on the planet, but also for a while the most pompous and boring.

The extent of Bono's achievements in charming cash out of actual world leaders now makes a dazzling humanist mockery of the impulse to take the piss out of him. And by channelling the messianic zeal of their original incarnation - as more spiritually inclined rivals to Echo and the Bunnymen for the affections of long mac-wearing early 80s sixth-formers - into actual good works, U2's fourth coming has set their music free to become the holy-owned subsidiary it always promised to be.

• Download: Breathe; Moment of Surrender; Unknown Caller

It really is grandiloquent, and seems to spend more time judging the artists rather than the art, but at least he gave it a 4/5.

this review makes me sick...it's painful to read haha...what a load of crap....I've never seen such an unnecessary, grandiose, bombastic bullshit review in my life :rolleyes:

at least it gave 4/5 stars though...

Uknown Caller will be the best song on the album. It has the longest intro and has the longest guitar solo at the end (based on the beach clip version) and probably makes it the most interesting track along with Fez. If they have butchered the solo at the end of the song and its no longer like the beach clip version then I will sell ALL my U2 records!:lol:

this review makes me sick...it's painful to read haha...what a load of crap....I've never seen such an unnecessary, grandiose, bombastic bullshit review in my life :rolleyes:

at least it gave 4/5 stars though...

Which review did you just read?

While it certainly lacked extensive song reviewing, it was very praise-worthy and also an interesting take on the band's multiple phases.

Unknown Caller and Fez/Being Born (even Crazy Tonight really) have been put high up on my most wanted to hear list. This is two weeks of torture. :|

holy shit, i think that's the magnificent solo!

I have my doubts. The magnificent solo on the beach clip wasn't like that. Yes I know that they could have changed it but from the reviews and previews of the album they seem to suggest to me that its nearly how it is on the beach clip.

I have my doubts. The magnificent solo on the beach clip wasn't like that. Yes I know that they could have changed it but from the reviews and previews of the album they seem to suggest to me that its nearly how it is on the beach clip.

It definitely was--maybe there are two solos?

Remember: this song is over a minute longer than the beach clip. I did like that slide solo though...

Or maybe the solo from this video got dropped.

I like this video but I'm disappointed with the amount of delay-ridden guitar I hear.

I've not listened to the Walmart clips though, so I dunno if they are even relevant!

Back
Top Bottom