Shedding a Little Light, Perhaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich79

Acrobat
I came across a couple blogs I posted online back in '04 leading up to the release of HTDAAB, and most of them were official press releases about the album. I'm thinking that maybe these stories will help us get a better feel of when we'll hear a new single on the radio and some track titles.

Here is the first:

MARK YOUR CALENDARS
August 18, 2004
posted by: m2

U2tour.de reports official release information from Universal Records:

Album: Nov. 22 (title unknown)
First single: "Vertigo", Nov. 8 release; at radio Sept. 24
Second single: Feb. 2005 (title unknown)

Tour: announcement in December; start in March, 2005

And the second (from approx. August 31st, 2004):

Stop Press! First confirmed information on song titles from the new
album.

U2.Com can exclusively reveal that completed tracks from the upcoming
album include:

Vertigo,
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own,
City of Blinding Lights,
A Man and A Woman,
Yahweh
and
Crumbs From Your Table.

The album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, will feature 11 tracks and is
set for a late November worldwide release.

'It feels like a special' record', explains Bono in the October edition
of the UK's Q Magazine. 'From the start we wanted to make our own Who's
Next where every track mattered and I think we have done that.'

More news as we get it!

And from Sep 14th, 2004 (In my own words):

Well, confirmation came last night that the new U2 album is definitely being called "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb". Hmm...sounds a little lengthy and a bit on the cheesy side, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

about Sep 27th, the full tracklisting was revealed

Then approx. October 4th, I received an e-mail giving a brief synopsis of what each track was about and the kind of sound they were going for.

On October 27th I had just seen all the lyrics for all the new songs

Thursday, November 11th the entire album was streamed online for free (one day only)

Tuesday November 16th VH1 You Hear it First or whatever the name of the service is began having the album available for a free full listen

and of course, the release on November 23rd

I'm sure this information is not new to everyone, but I think it greatly helps for getting an idea of when things will get exciting for the new album. So, basically if they follow a similar pattern, we'll be hearing the first official news in about 3 weeks!!!

Very cool - thanks for posting this.

Anyone remember the details / timing re: leaked tracks for HTDAAB? I vaguely remember that some Scandinavian teenager got his hot little hands on MP3s for the entire album somehow, about a month before it was released. I hesitated when I first heard that they were available ("should I wait for the true release, or open the Christmas presents early?"), but couldn't contain myself, and then OD'd on the tracks for a month straight.

Good times...

:drool:

It leaked on a Saturday. I downloaded it while I was playing cricket, then listened when I got home. it was either the 6th or the 13th of November. I think the 13th (aus time)

I remember I was so depressed about the results of the U.S. Election and the leak really lifted my spirits.

My buddy DL'd it for me (i didn't have high speed internet back then), surprised me with it on Monday morning at school, which made it terribly hard to sit through calculus class, knowing that in an hour, I'd be listening to the new album.

I later went on to achieve a 35% in that course.

I recall HTDAAB leaking late Saturday night here in the US, and I downloaded it Sunday morning around 9 AM. Spent the entire morning and afternoon tracking the songs own with a pal of mine, playing them as we went. It was a lot of fun. Probably won't happen that way this time, but you never know.

I recall HTDAAB leaking late Saturday night here in the US, and I downloaded it Sunday morning around 9 AM. Spent the entire morning and afternoon tracking the songs own with a pal of mine, playing them as we went. It was a lot of fun. Probably won't happen that way this time, but you never know.

it was sometime saturday afternoon/mid day, at least on the east coast. I remember I got back from my Drunk driving class for my license test (required in CT, not like i was driving drunk at age 17 :wink:) and I came back and nearly shat my pants.

But im just splitting hairs here

Yeah and whereabout do you live in Australia mate? I play cricket too.

Newastle. Well, i live in Canberra now, but im from Newcastle.

And my info was slightly off, it was the SUNDAY that we got the leak hear, because it was an NRMA cup game, which is the sunday comp here.

Where are you from? ps, loving the Graham and the Colonel!

that was a very fun Saturday. I remember spending five hours on the computer, downloading song by song from links posted on this site. Then my wife and a friend went on a long scenic drive while listening to the album...

I hope we hear something before September...my poor ears need something artistically beautiful to clear them out from all the fucking Soulja Boy and T-Pain they've endured. :sad:

Newastle. Well, i live in Canberra now, but im from Newcastle.

And my info was slightly off, it was the SUNDAY that we got the leak hear, because it was an NRMA cup game, which is the sunday comp here.

Where are you from? ps, loving the Graham and the Colonel!

I'm from Werribee, a subrub of Melbourne, and I play cricket for Wyndhamvale, though I'm not much chop :wink: What are you like at cricket?

And you know graham and the colonel??? i just found a new best mate everyone. :lol:

no, not a creepy comment at all. :shifty:

This thread reminds me of a setlist party thread, intersperced with sports and locations.
I downloaded the leaked songs and it took an entire weekend. I also preordered the super duper delux or whatever it was called, then.
Then my computer crashed with a virus a week before the offical release. :huh:
I'll have high speed this time.

I can't wait. :hyper:
(just no viruses this time, please)

I'm from Werribee, a subrub of Melbourne, and I play cricket for Wyndhamvale, though I'm not much chop :wink: What are you like at cricket?

And you know graham and the colonel??? i just found a new best mate everyone. :lol:

no, not a creepy comment at all. :shifty:

I play 2nd grade in Newcastle (not the highest standard!) But we do have one claim to fame, Mark Nicholas, the cricket commentator, who played for England A, came out here after he retired and played 2nd grade in our comp.

And please, do I know Graham and the Colonel??? Everything Rob and Santo touch turns to gold, yes that's right, even the Funky Squad! I'm only 22, but I still remember being 6 and 7 years old and staying up with mum and dad to watch the late show.

I play 2nd grade in Newcastle (not the highest standard!) But we do have one claim to fame, Mark Nicholas, the cricket commentator, who played for England A, came out here after he retired and played 2nd grade in our comp.

And please, do I know Graham and the Colonel??? Everything Rob and Santo touch turns to gold, yes that's right, even the Funky Squad! I'm only 22, but I still remember being 6 and 7 years old and staying up with mum and dad to watch the late show.

Wow!! Was he any good? I like him as a commentator, brings a real spice to the team.

gohhh :faint: They are so awesome. Do you also remember Geoff and Terry? Do you own the DVD?

Wow!! Was he any good? I like him as a commentator, brings a real spice to the team.

gohhh :faint: They are so awesome. Do you also remember Geoff and Terry? Do you own the DVD?

I did a Geoff and terry skit with a friend for a year 4 eistodford act. The one about the home cladding. Was ace.

He didn't do too well actually, poms can't play on our pitches!

Yep, the release was made to the press on Aug 19 (a Wednesday).
I think the news 'hit' the net the day before.

So given they are about a week ahead of HTDAAB, you could say possibly next Wednesday August 13th could be an official news release. So maybe next Tueday (the 12th) a news release on the net? Don't want to get everyone's hopes up.

Given that the record label handles things, they might use the same time frame. Granted, it's a new label (technically) but it's still under the umbrella of Universal Music.

ATYCLB was announced around the same time, there is an Aug 21st article on atU2, but it's hard to say if that was the earliest report. And that album was released a month earlier.

We could get some solid news in the next 10 days.
Then again, they are trying a sneak attack, it seems.
Who knows...

I did a Geoff and terry skit with a friend for a year 4 eistodford act. The one about the home cladding. Was ace.

He didn't do too well actually, poms can't play on our pitches!

:lmao: Classic. I'd love to do something like that one day.

:lol: Right you are sir. The return Ashes series was embarrasing for the English. I wonder whatever happened to Simon(?) Jones. He troubled us in the 05 series.

My god, just imagine walking into your local record store and seeing it on the shelf.........completely unannounced.............

:ohmy:

:eek:

:faint:

i walked into my local record store, the day before passengers album came out and read new u2 album on their new release board. i went back at midnight to buy it. that would never happen to day, i'm way to ocd about checking about the new album- and they could never keep it a secret.

:lmao: Classic. I'd love to do something like that one day.

:lol: Right you are sir. The return Ashes series was embarrasing for the English. I wonder whatever happened to Simon(?) Jones. He troubled us in the 05 series.

Shane Bond syndrome. Got injured, and was never the same again. He was a gerat bowler, although I think our attack atm is pretty formidable (just need to ditch Mitchell johnson for.... anyone!). Seriously, Ide rather almost any other Pura Cup player than Johnson, he is garbage.

Harwood, Nannes, Bollinger, Noffke... all should be infront of him

How many Achtung Baby references has there been with this record so far?

* 2008 - 1991
* Recording in Fez - Mysterious Ways video shoot
* (Possible) Release date - 18th of November
* "Breaking new sonic ground" comments - like Achtung Baby
* "Danceable U2 songs" - U2 recording dance music
* Eno/Lanois+Lilywhite production team
* Salome sessions riffs - Jitterbug Baby (Edgeback3), Lady With The Spinning Head/Acrobat, Salomé-ish bass (Get On Your Boots), Heaven and Hell-organ and so on...

Did I forget anything? :hmm:

How many Achtung Baby references has there been with this record so far?

* 2008 - 1991
* Recording in Fez - Mysterious Ways video shoot
* (Possible) Release date - 18th of November
* "Breaking new sonic ground" comments - like Achtung Baby
* "Danceable U2 songs" - U2 recording dance music
* Eno/Lanois+Lilywhite production team
* Salome sessions riffs - Jitterbug Baby (Edgeback3), Lady With The Spinning Head/Acrobat, Salomé-ish bass (Get On Your Boots), Heaven and Hell-organ and so on...

Did I forget anything? :hmm:

Bono's voice :wink:

Interesting that as of Aug. 20th (unless I just missed something), there has been no official word on a release date. :hmm: Given that the album is supposed to come out before HTDAAB did (back in 2004), it appears that release info. is coming out later. Wonder if this is part of the plan or of U2, et al, are just running ragged trying to pull everything together.

When did we start seeing info. for "Achtung Baby" in 1991?

Back
Top Bottom