Second Single track 1 No Line On The Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoo99

Acrobat
So says Hits Daily double, an industry web site that is pretty acurate with this type of thing,fifth paragraph in. Really hope there wrong here.its gotta be Magnificent.

HITS Daily Double

Any site that asks me to 'click on satan's head to enter' or makes me register before I can see what the site is about looks bogus to me.

Can you copy and paste the article?

sorry about that, forgot about the floating head, but this site is an industry site that has extremely reliable sales figures and there pretty bang on with most of their inside stuff.

U2 GET ON THEIR BOOTS FOR BOTTOM LINE

Grammy Winners Return with 12th Studio Album, and First in Five Years, Launch Week on Letterman

March 3, 2009

U2 has a lot to live up to.
Their last album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, hit the streets on Nov. 16, 2004, with 840k in first-week sales, eventually moving 3.25 million in the U.S. and 9 million worldwide, with eight Grammy awards, including Album and Song of the Year.

By contrast, insiders are placing the over-under on the sales debut week for their new Interscope album, No Line on the Horizon, at 500k.

All That You Can’t Leave Behind, which came out on Oct. 31, 2000, reached #3 in the U.S. album charts, selling 428k its first week, 4.3 million in the U.S. and 12 million worldwide, while earning seven Grammys in 2001 and 2002, including two consecutive Records of the Year (“Beautiful Day” and “Walk On”) and Song of the Year (“Beautiful Day”).

Overall, the band has been awarded a total of 22 Grammys and sold 145 million albums in a three-decade-plus career, which culminated with its induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.

Reuniting with former producers Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite, the group’s new release has been receiving raves from critics, including a rare five-star Rolling Stone review, though the first single, “Get on Your Boots,” received a lukewarm reception at Rock radio, with the title track up next.

Kicking off their unprecedented week-long appearance last night on Letterman, U2 launched into a typically rousing “Breathe,” from the new album, which you can see on YouTube here, a performance that had the entire studio audience on its feet and cheering wildly by the climax. Showing they were good sports, Bono and company also helped shovel snow in front of the Ed Sullivan Theatre, which you can see them doing here. The group will also perform on this Friday’s Good Morning America from Fordham University in the Bronx.

The stakes are high for the new album, and, with longtime manager Paul McGuinness, they’ve jumped into promotion for it feet-first. In addition to the week-long stint on Letterman, the band made high-visibility performances at the Grammys, the Brit and the German ECHO awards shows as well as an impromptu gig Let It Be style last Friday (2/27) on the rooftop of BBC’s London offices. A special pre-tour performance at a yet-to-be-determined Boston club, on March 11, was announced earlier this week on local stations WBCN, WLZX and WBOS, all of them are offering tickets to listeners via on-air contests.

Tour dates for the group’s Live Nation-promoted summer tour of stadiums will be announced March 9, and Bono has already said the band will make sure there are affordable tickets made available, though they’ll probably be in the nosebleed section. The tour is the band’s first since signing a 12-year deal with the concert giant for touring, merchandising and digital rights last March.

At retail, Amazon is offering downloads of the new album for $3.99 with the entire catalog priced at $5.99 apiece, while iTunes has both a deluxe edition on sale for $17.99 and the regular release available at $9.99.

ely reliable sales figures updated every 30 minutes on tuesdays when the final numbers come in.

I just dont believe it, they havent played NLOTH to a live audience yet but Breathe and Magnificent are getting plugged at any chance to do so.

I call BS.

As the other said, Magnificent is single no. 2 and Crazy Tonight no. 3. Only number 4 isn't known yet.

I really hope this is true. This track define more than any other the sound of U2 in 2009 for me, it is so fresh, new and still so powerful. Damn it is even the title track! I really like GOYB but NLOTH should have been the first single IMO for all these reasons. Though I'm not sure this would be the best commercial move to do after GOYB.

Surely off topic, but isn't it weird that U2 won 15 of the 22 grammys off their two previous albums, which are good but not great? Didn't know this fact...

At a certain point in a career they start awarding you for the work you did before they notice you.....

:lol:

You're probably right, even though it's weirder still that they hadn't noticed U2 until after (at the time) 25 years in music

:lol:

BTW, just to get on topic, NLOTH is worthy as a single, and I agree that it's the freshest track on the album..at least it sounds different and good at the same time

They probably have to release Magnificent because of Boots not doing that well. Its the most u2 sounding song, and certainly the safest. I think its the song, to get all the people who are already casual U2 fans interested.

NLOTH is currently my favorite song on the album (still changing a lot) and Magnificent is right at the bottom (although I still like it). NLOTH does seem much more like the song to push if they are looking for new / younger fans. I would prefer NLOTH, but bottom line is selling records (which means Magnificent) and that is what will happen.

They might as well release FBB or Cedars as a single if they release NLOTH. Great song, but not how you commercially promote the album. It would be like releasing Zoo Station as the second Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom