Second half of SOI is the real U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevews29

Babyface
Those of you who enjoy the sweeping pop grandeur of bands like Coldplay and Imagine Dragons, congratulations on the free bunch of songs from U2 (I happen to like both those bands, btw . . *like*).

For those of you who, like me, spent your first 20 - 30 minutes with the new material feeling slightly nauseated thinking, "Where did my band go? What happened to the post-punk innovators who gave us War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and ATYCLB?" . . . just start listening at "Volcano" - song 6.

That's where the real U2 album starts. That's when I knew that U2 wasn't finished.

Just listen to that and play the first half when in the car with your kids or with friends who like Coldplay.

Whilst I agree that side B is more interesting, there are some great songs on side A.

Most importantly though, I have to say I'm tired of 'the real U2' and expressions like that.
It's the same band. The 'real' U2 is just as proud of side A as side B.

You just have to accept that the first half does actually represent what the 'real' U2 is these days, and I'd say moreso than the second half given the majority of their post-2000 output and what they nakedly state as their ambition. It's been at least 10 years... you need to accept it and take what little individual gifts you get in between, or move on.

I too prefer the second half but I don't see what's so terrible about the first half to be honest. The Miracle keeps growing and growing and it is one of my fav tracks on the album. EBW also has grown. Song For Someone is wonderful U2-ey stuff! Iris has also grown and mentally picturing a video set in outer space helped. ;) California is the only one that hasn't quite hit the sweet spot for me. But I don't hate it. It's alright. Volcano has grown as well for me. The second half just has more lyrical quality I suppose.

I too prefer the second half but I don't see what's so terrible about the first half to be honest.

It's not terrible by any stretch. Represents a definite improvement for 'that sort of thing', but it is in that line of Bomb-No Line 'Middle Three'-Misc. Stuff In Between 00's output that is, umm, 'divisive' to say the least.

Personally I think it's a shame that it's not a bit more jumbled up front. Something a bit more like No Line where you have a strong rock opener, followed by simple U2-ey catchy song, followed by jaw dropper throwback moody thing. The public charge that U2 are a bland shadow of their former selves is a shot straight at their promoted 00s output - it's people not knowing past the ATYCLB/Bomb/No Line singles. I would think a lot of people would have clicked through the first few tracks and thought 'eh, its just more of that, whatever' and never gotten to the back end. The funny thing is, it's almost certainly tracklisted the way it is because the band want people to get those 4-songs up front just in case that is all they listen to.

The thing is, the opener Miracle itself marks a departure for the band. It sounds completely new and the guitar blasts from Edge is not something jaded U2 listeners would expect. But starting from track 2 yes I kind of see your point, Earnie.

Those of you who enjoy the sweeping pop grandeur of bands like Coldplay and Imagine Dragons, congratulations on the free bunch of songs from U2 (I happen to like both those bands, btw . . *like*).

For those of you who, like me, spent your first 20 - 30 minutes with the new material feeling slightly nauseated thinking, "Where did my band go? What happened to the post-punk innovators who gave us War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and ATYCLB?" . . . just start listening at "Volcano" - song 6.

That's where the real U2 album starts. That's when I knew that U2 wasn't finished.

Just listen to that and play the first half when in the car with your kids or with friends who like Coldplay.
You talk about post-punk innovators, then mentioning ATYCLB. ATYCLB is probably the most generic and radio friendly album they ever made. (That doesn't mean it's their worst, that one goes to Bomb.)

I slighty prefer the second half of SOI, but the first half is excellent too.

i would say to start one before - iris is amongst those set of songs.

i definitely think that the album starts to be great at song 5, that's where the dense/deep/dark elements start to weight sonically and thematically, but i'm not nauseated at all with the initial 4 (in fact i'm very ok with ebw). i'm not also pretentious to say that the real u2 is in the songs that i prefer. as someone pointed out, the real u2 is a lot of things and nowadays that includes also the attempt to keep up with the mainstream through light pop songs like sfs or forced rockers like the miracle.

You talk about post-punk innovators, then mentioning ATYCLB. ATYCLB is probably the most generic and radio friendly album they ever made. (That doesn't mean it's their worst, that one goes to Bomb.)

I slighty prefer the second half of SOI, but the first half is excellent too.

yes....

First half being more Pop-like is def. U2 we have known in the last 10 years. Second half is more like u2 from the Frist two decades...and the one I prefer. But the album Overall is great, even with the slower first half.

english51.gif

Good to know.
If you could also let me know what other music I'm allowed to enjoy, that would be much appreciated.

Second half has much deeper, darker sound/lyrics and is indeed better.

However, song from song 5 onward, it's damn great!

Only EBW and SFS are so so to me and sound like 2000 U2. Both songs are still much much better than Wild honey, One step closer, Grace, Peace on Earth.... no fillers in this album!

The Miracle, California, Iris :heart:, Volcano, Raised by Wolves, Sleep like a Baby, Cedarwood Road and The Troubles are all 8 very very solid-great tracks. :hyper:

Could you help us with which half of Pop is the real U2?

What about Rattle and Hum?

Who is the real James Bond?

Who is the real slim shady?

Coke or Pepsi?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SOI is perfect from top to bottom. Best since AB, on par with sliced bread.

QUOTE]

I prefer the 2nd half as well and hope we'll see more of the same on SOE. In fact an OSV2 at some point would be amazing.

I have to disagree though when you talk about "the real u2", I find that comment especially odd given that you included ATYCLB in your list of albums worthy of the "post punk innovators" version of the band that you prefer.

Anyhow, I'm 100% with you on the second half but I cannot imagine this album without EBW or IRIS, and I have to say that Miracle and California are growing on me too. I think a lot of early 90's fans (like me) have an aversion to the more pop/radio friendly/upbeat songs its probably why Miracle rubbed me the wrong way at first.

i would say to start one before - iris is amongst those set of songs.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that anything U2 does is not the 'real' U2, but to me the album really starts to gain power, conviction and identity at Iris. When he comes in with that low rich voice, it's a distinct existential click. "There they are."

Yeah, I'm not going to argue that anything U2 does is not the 'real' U2, but to me the album really starts to gain power, conviction and identity at Iris. When he comes in with that low rich voice, it's a distinct existential click. "There they are."

Yep, Adam's bass is ridiculous too. Though the first time I heard "something in your eyes" I thought they jumped the shark on that song. I'm ok with it now though.

Ok, I'll be nice and call this thread... Silly

First, everything is real U2. For a band that has significantly shifted their sound about 5 or 6 times, there truly is no "real" U2. They are what they make themselves at the moment.

I also think dismissing the first half is ludicrous. Miracle has grown on me like crazy, EBW and California are two of the best on the album. Iris is very solid. I will agree SFS is not really their best but ok.

I love the second half as well, because I do like the darker U2. I just think that the whole album represents the band as well and it makes for a fantastic collection of songs

The entire album is U2.

Say what :ohmy:

The first half of the album is the U2 album.

The second half is the danger mouse album.

Interesting comment. But I'd say, the second half is the Danger Mouse AND U2 album.

I agree though. The second half got me more excited. Starting with "Volcano", it's almost perfect, IMO.

The second half is made up of songs produced by danger mouse over years and years of work.

The first half is made up of songs U2 made cause they got nervous about the danger mouse stuff and didn't think it was accessible enough.

And I like both halves of the album, but let's not forget exactly how we got to this point. Everything Tedder and Epworth was from January on, and a direct reaction to not being comfortable with releasing the danger mouse work.

Back
Top Bottom