Second half of SOI is the real U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The next album is the real U2, guys. I've heard it and everything else has been prolouge. It's rock and roll from the 18th century on an alternate version of Mars 2.0 sent backwards in time through a rubber electron microscope while Edge dances on the edge of oblivion with a toothpaste guitar. Mind-blowing.

But is "Mercy" on it??

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

I find this topic very intriguing as for me, personally, the best songs on this album are the first four, yet I have heard many comments (and read several reviews) that state that the second half is superior.

Wow. This must be what it's like when Dan Brown visits the Vatican.

I'll resist urge to meet snark with snark and just explain why I posted the thread. Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful. Over the last week, I've run into so many people - online and afk - who were mortified by their first listen of SOI. Many of these folks are big U2 fans. I found the first part of the album pleasant but trite and nothing close to the quality I've come to expect from U2. It was only when I started listening to "side B" exclusively, untainted by the first half of the album, that it hit me how amazing those songs are.

In other words, the second half of the album restored my faith in U2. When I suggest that someone who feels discouraged after their first listen of SOI (and I've met a lot) just listen to the second half, 90% of the time they end up feeling much better about the album and the band. I thought there might be folks here having the same experience. Maybe I was wrong.

<snip>

I know exactly what you mean, several of my U2 pals (dating back nearly 20 years) have been so absolutely turned off by the first half of the album that they haven't even gotten to the second half of the album much, they have not been able to bring themselves to give it another play. Overreaction and overentitlement maybe, but they are feeling a bit betrayed. I also felt as you that the first few songs are pretty trite and generic (I find Miracle OK though), and am still scratching my head at all the Every Breaking Wave love. But that second half is fantastic, I found it interesting from the first listen - took me a little while to fully embrace Iris, but that one too.

I know exactly what you mean, several of my U2 pals (dating back nearly 20 years) have been so absolutely turned off by the first half of the album that they haven't even gotten to the second half of the album much, they have not been able to bring themselves to give it another play. Overreaction and overentitlement maybe, but they are feeling a bit betrayed. I also felt as you that the first few songs are pretty trite and generic (I find Miracle OK though), and am still scratching my head at all the Every Breaking Wave love. But that second half is fantastic, I found it interesting from the first listen - took me a little while to fully embrace Iris, but that one too.

For me the beauty of every breaking wave is Bono's vocal delivery. Having been dissapointed over the last few albums with the more direct lyrics and more forced delivery, it's great to hear the natural flow of this song and how it allows the emotion to shine through.

I must admit I love both sides. On the first half I love them all except SFS and on the second half I love them all except TIWYCRM.

I am starting to favor the second half though with Volcano, RBW, SLABT and the Troubles. Yikes that's strong

I agree that Iris/Volcano/Wolves is the "real" U2. But I disagree about the last three songs. Those sound like U2 desperately wanting to be relevant and following after modern trends.

This reminds me so much of the Achtung U2...I remember listening to the WHOLE cd cassette whatever it was as that is not what I remember...what I remember is listening to this band as I faded into sleep and hearing love is blindness ...and thinking wow the stupid dj's are calling this dance music...Sorry media...You started hating U2 when you called them danceable...aka Achtung Baby..and I hope to Gawd they will never take you seriously...because WHO is ?reviewer? WHO is whiny twitter twit? WHO is ...that's right...even your enemies know your name.

Interesting to note it seems like most people are so so on Every Breaking Wave. I wonder if that is because people prefer the stripped down version on the 360 tour. Even though I like both I would prefer the 360 version.

Interesting to note it seems like most people are so so on Every Breaking Wave. I wonder if that is because people prefer the stripped down version on the 360 tour. Even though I like both I would prefer the 360 version.
Who are "most" people?
Earth population is 7.1 billion so that would be 3.6 billion people are so so? I really like the SOI version better and that's just me.

the whole album is the REAL U2. If I had to eliminate a few songs though I'd kick The Miracle, Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves to the curb. Those are the fillers on the album as far as I'm concerend.

Huh? Most people seem to like EBW and from what I've read most seem to think it's an improvement over the stripped down almost boring version they played live.

the whole album is the REAL U2. If I had to eliminate a few songs though I'd kick The Miracle, Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves to the curb. Those are the fillers on the album as far as I'm concerend.

:shocked: Listen to Cedarwood Rd and Wolves again. They will likely grow on you. I consider them two of the best songs on this album... along with many others of course! The album is very very good.

:shocked: Listen to Cedarwood Rd and Wolves again. They will likely grow on you. I consider them two of the best songs on this album... along with many others of course! The album is very very good.

Nah Cedarwood Road is a big let down for me. Could've been such a great rock song but it got neutered with the guitars so low in the mix and then they busted out the xylophone. It's like they consciously said "whoa settle down here guys we're almost rocking too hard let's reel it in." To me it sounds like a NLOTH B-Side or something along the lines of Stand Up Comedy. A song with potential not realized I guess. I like it but it's just a disappointment for me with the way it started out.

Raised by Wolves is ruined for me with the the "Raised By Wolves!" chorus. Don't know why but I just find that part annoying. Although I really like the lead into it with "I don't believe anymore"

the album has basically been on repeat since it came out. I've listened to it over a hundred times I know cause it's on non stop on my lap top and it's in my car too so haha. I don't believe these two songs will grow on me at this point :shrug:

I agree that Iris/Volcano/Wolves is the "real" U2. But I disagree about the last three songs. Those sound like U2 desperately wanting to be relevant and following after modern trends.

First of all, you don't think AB and Poo had U2 following modern trends?

And I'd be real interested what trends you think those three songs follow?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Which U2 is real and which is the smoke monster?

But I disagree about the last three songs. Those sound like U2 desperately wanting to be relevant and following after modern trends.

Sleep like a baby tonight (sounds like 90's U2 to me)
This is where you can reach me now (sounds like The Stones, The Clash, and Nile Rodgers. Not new trends)
The Troubles (sounds like classic rock)

First of all, you don't think AB and Poo had U2 following modern trends?

And I'd be real interested what trends you think those three songs follow?

Even Zooropa was following a trend. There's a reason it won Best Alternative Album.

Sent from my fingertips.

And since when do we, as fans, get to decide what the 'real U2' is?

They make their music, they produce their sounds, they make their choices.. Everything they put out is U2, and even if we think some of it tries too hard, or is too pop, or whatever.. Hey, that's the band.

I find people tend to fall in love with U2 during a particular period, and then make the mistake of letting that period define the band for them. Like the classic rockers only like up till Rattle and Hum, and everything after is sacrilege. Except maybe ATYCLB because, you know, that sounds a bit like them again. Or the Achtung/Zooropa crowd who consider everything else too pop and a sellout. Or whatever.

All of these albums tell us something about the band. It's all U2 whether we like some of it more, and some of it less.

It's a common mistake to equate "I like it" to "the real U2" and "I don't like it" to whatever the opposite it.

And yes, I get it.. The band have some hit and miss moments. Some songs where they sound more authentic than others. And if you're a long time fan who has digested all their music over the years, you do get a sense of what worked better, what seems more in time with the essence of the group.

But it's still mainly personal taste.

And even the "not real U2" moments are generally just attempts at growth change, and experiment, a slight miss, whatever it is.. It's part of the band. That song you absolutely hate? The band made it. They liked it enough to put it on an album. Sorry, that's the real U2 too.

Sent from my fingertips.

Maybe it's me. But I am far more interested and appreciative of the first half of the album. I am not much of a fan of that middle three (Volcano, Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood) as others. All three songs have their outstanding moments, especially Cedarwood (after it passes those annoying "north side/south side" verses, even if they are incredibly relevant).

So I guess I like the more pop songs on the album. But I adore The Troubles and I like the darkness of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (my interpretation of the song does not make this a cousin to Velvet Dress).

All of this said, that's what I like about U2. One can like the more pop songs like Pride or Mysterious Ways or Vertigo or The Miracle while still loving a deep album track. :)

english51.gif

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nah Cedarwood Road is a big let down for me. Could've been such a great rock song but it got neutered with the guitars so low in the mix and then they busted out the xylophone. It's like they consciously said "whoa settle down here guys we're almost rocking too hard let's reel it in." To me it sounds like a NLOTH B-Side or something along the lines of Stand Up Comedy. A song with potential not realized I guess. I like it but it's just a disappointment for me with the way it started out.

Raised by Wolves is ruined for me with the the "Raised By Wolves!" chorus. Don't know why but I just find that part annoying. Although I really like the lead into it with "I don't believe anymore"

the album has basically been on repeat since it came out. I've listened to it over a hundred times I know cause it's on non stop on my lap top and it's in my car too so haha. I don't believe these two songs will grow on me at this point :shrug:

The chorus on Raised By Wolves is the reason i consider it the worst song on the album. Its indeed annoying.

The chorus on Raised By Wolves is the reason i consider it the worst song on the album. Its indeed annoying.

I agree. It's kinda stupid to be honest. And its a shame because the rest of the song is amazing. But because of the chorus, it's my least favorite on the album.

I used to not like it, but I like it now and think I can understand the chorus better in context of the song. It's like a different voice and perspective is coming in, the changes the atmosphere and emotion in that song. While the transition between the bridge and the chorus may seem a little awkward, I really like the emotion that's breaking its way here and the contrast that is building up. I love the "When I open my eyes / you disappear" line because it's paradox, I like the way he's singing it.

I agree. It's kinda stupid to be honest. And its a shame because the rest of the song is amazing. But because of the chorus, it's my least favorite on the album.

Ditto. And like others said, it's sad, because the rest of the song is brilliant.

Most of the time, people tolerate the verses to get to the exciting sing-a-long chorus. This is one of the few times (if only) I'd rather just skip the chorus.

Back
Top Bottom