Second half of SOI is the real U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like the first half, happy with it, love EBW. But from 5 on is :drool:, so much more then I expected. Best part is 1 week in and the WHOLE album is still growing, not fading. Can't wait to hear Lucifers hands and Crystal ballroom, though i think we may have heard a snippet of ballroom in that twitter message.

U2 wrote Miami
Fake Edge wrote Stop(the Poverty)

Until Steve tells me more that's all I can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I sort of agree, in a way. Everything from Iris on is them NOT trying to find a poppy radio hit. The first four tunes are solid but there is nothing overly special about them. At least they aren't offensive attempts at it like Boots or Crazy.

I sort of agree, in a way. Everything from Iris on is them NOT trying to find a poppy radio hit. The first four tunes are solid but there is nothing overly special about them. At least they aren't offensive attempts at it like Boots or Crazy.

Wow, a new low at the Blue Crack has been reached: Boots and Crazy have been found to be offensive. :doh::doh::doh: :lol::lol::lol: :wave::wave::wave:

Shocking news. Might wanna sit down for it. The first half is also the real U2.

All of the new album is real U2. As much as you like or dislike the tracks, they stil made all these tunes.

Shocking news. Might wanna sit down for it. The first half is also the real U2.

All of the new album is real U2. As much as you like or dislike the tracks, they stil made all these tunes.
And the real U2 performed at the Apple event.

Wow. This must be what it's like when Dan Brown visits the Vatican.

I'll resist urge to meet snark with snark and just explain why I posted the thread. Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful. Over the last week, I've run into so many people - online and afk - who were mortified by their first listen of SOI. Many of these folks are big U2 fans. I found the first part of the album pleasant but trite and nothing close to the quality I've come to expect from U2. It was only when I started listening to "side B" exclusively, untainted by the first half of the album, that it hit me how amazing those songs are.

In other words, the second half of the album restored my faith in U2. When I suggest that someone who feels discouraged after their first listen of SOI (and I've met a lot) just listen to the second half, 90% of the time they end up feeling much better about the album and the band. I thought there might be folks here having the same experience. Maybe I was wrong.

As for my choice of "real" as a synonym for "great" or "the standard I've come to expect," holy cow, I'm sorry. No idea it would get so many tails in knots. Of course, everything the guys do is "real" U2, but I'm allowed to be disappointed sometimes. God knows I've spent enough time and money on U2 to earn that right (oh, wait, but I guess I haven't posted here enough, so never mind:sexywink:).

So, good intentions, really.

But Sean Connery is the real James Bond. Duh.

Side 2 is what made this a great album for me. Slowly Side 1 has started to grow on me, although I immediately liked Iris and California. But tracks 7, 8, 9, and 10 are just stunning.

I'll resist urge to meet snark with snark and just explain why I posted the thread. Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful. Over the last week, I've run into so many people - online and afk - who were mortified by their first listen of SOI. Many of these folks are big U2 fans. I found the first part of the album pleasant but trite and nothing close to the quality I've come to expect from U2. It was only when I started listening to "side B" exclusively, untainted by the first half of the album, that it hit me how amazing those songs are.

In other words, the second half of the album restored my faith in U2. When I suggest that someone who feels discouraged after their first listen of SOI (and I've met a lot) just listen to the second half, 90% of the time they end up feeling much better about the album and the band. I thought there might be folks here having the same experience. Maybe I was wrong.

As for my choice of "real" as a synonym for "great" or "the standard I've come to expect," holy cow, I'm sorry. No idea it would get so many tails in knots. Of course, everything the guys do is "real" U2, but I'm allowed to be disappointed sometimes. God knows I've spent enough time and money on U2 to earn that right (oh, wait, but I guess I haven't posted here enough, so never mind:sexywink:).

#WhoisDanBrown

;)

I'm just surprised you've met so many that are "mortified", we have some of the big naysayer fans here in interference and the overall response is strong. At the very least they find it better than most of the 2000s albums.

But I'm glad you answered one of the questions, that one's been bothering me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Pierce Brosnan so is.

Also, I'm still not convinced this album has a good side at all. :)

I'm just surprised you've met so many that are "mortified", we have some of the big naysayer fans here in interference and the overall response is strong.

I live in Los Angeles. If that doesn't explain it, I'm happy to elaborate.

BTW, how much $$ would you estimate you've spent, that might ease some concerns around here...:wink:

It's not so much the money I've spent as the hours in line sitting in the sun with my ass on hot concrete drinking lukewarm water from plastic bottles trying not to get sunburned or lose my place in line because I need to go to the bathroom some place where they're going to try and chase me out because U2 fans have been coming in and out all day making a mess and can they just open the damn arena doors let us in already? I feel like that earns me the right to bitch.

It's not so much the money I've spent as the hours in line sitting in the sun with my ass on hot concrete drinking lukewarm water from plastic bottles trying not to get sunburned or lose my place in line because I need to go to the bathroom some place where they're going to try and chase me out because U2 fans have been coming in and out all day making a mess and can they just open the damn arena doors let us in already? I feel like that earns me the right to bitch.

:up:

The thing is, the opener Miracle itself marks a departure for the band. It sounds completely new and the guitar blasts from Edge is not something jaded U2 listeners would expect. But starting from track 2 yes I kind of see your point, Earnie.

Departure? "The Miracle" is one of the most U2-by-the-numbers of the album. It's like a crossover between "Vertigo" and a faster "Window In The Skies" without piano.

I wouldn't call The Miracle U2-by-the-numbers. If anything EBW is (but it's a good song!)

Edge's guitar tone is stellar on The Miracle, and those "whoa"s somehow sound different than the other million "whoa"s in U2's repertoire.

The problem is just that it needed a better chorus. It's not transcendent. It's like a party being busted up everytime it gets there, because the verses are good, especially the lead-up to the chorus.

And Bono is wayyyyyy too loud in the mix.

The next album is the real U2, guys. I've heard it and everything else has been prolouge. It's rock and roll from the 18th century on an alternate version of Mars 2.0 sent backwards in time through a rubber electron microscope while Edge dances on the edge of oblivion with a toothpaste guitar. Mind-blowing.

Back
Top Bottom