Screw experimental - I just want a "dark" album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
guill said:

:up:
And if they could record the album outside Dublin or London, i would be even more delighted.

I don't care where it gets recorded, as long as they get inspired again.

I still think they're too far into their middle-aged comfort zone to produce anything remotely challenging. You won't get another re-invention until a producer comes along to challenge them in the studio. Gotta get back to Berlin.

Dark doesn't mean depressed....... U2 has some dark songs, but very few if none depressed songs.....

I would love to see U2 making a song with The Cure......

Bono and Robert..... my 2 heros..... :wink:

I still think they're too far into their middle-aged comfort zone to produce anything remotely challenging. POSTED BY Canadiens1160

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND AND THE BOMB TO MANY @ INTERFERENCE!:lmao: :wink:

I don't think they call it a midlife crisis because it's a comfort zone

if anyone would ever take the trouble to really listen they might notice that not that much has changed

Bono's shades said:

Maybe Streets doesn't have the deepest lyrics Bono has ever written, but they are a hell of a lot better than "a house doesn't make a home" which sounds like it should be on plaque hanging on my grandma's wall. And the Stuck in a Moment lyrics sound like they are from some crappy self-help book.

Besides, there seems to more of a depth of feeling in Streets - the music itself is so powerful. And the intro is pure musical brilliance.

That section of SYCMIOYO - "I've still got to let you know - a house doesn't make a home" - maybe some people can disregard that lyric - I can not. For many reasons, against the backdrop of the music, the pain/emotion in his voice - and because that lyric means something to me. If you've come from somewhere where you've been subjected to an upbringing where it was all about butting heads and being held down for most of your life and perhaps even made to believe that the roof over your head - the money you were given was enough and you should be grateful... well it felt good to scream my lungs out with Bono and let them know - that house... didn't make a home.

That song SYCMIOYO - really touches me. I always liked it - and it always felt so poignant to me, the sound of it, the lyrics, the backstory and when he'd talk about his father - it always had an emotional affect on me. But then when I actually saw them live and he sung that - holy shit, it took on - a whole other level again. It got right inside and unlocked the door to that grief I secretly stored away instead of dealing with - and tears were running down my face.... and I simultaneously found his words accusing and comforting.

I'm so looking forward to the new album - a new journey to join. I'm happy to jump on the train and see where it takes me.

I'd love a track or two reminiscent of:
love is blindness, acrobat, ultra violet - a sort of dark, indulgent track... beautiful
And then something with some deep emotional connotations:
Kite (that song moves me so much - and I find release to scream along to that too) or SYCMIOYO..

I'd love them make a new song that could rival WOWY.

Threads like this just go to show how music is so differently interpreted between people, how one song can be 'interesting' to one person, 'touching' to another, and 'crap' to someone else.
We've all got our opinions, our favourites and our not-so-favourites
It's cool to hear other peoples takes on the songs - goes to show how music is all about personal interpretation - it speaks to us on a different level I believe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw experimental - I just want a "dark" album...

Swan269 said:

Every album they have has dark and light songs (except achtung) so they could make an album of all lights songs to be really different, but Bono or Eno said that it is hard to come up with 'Joy' for songs.

One and Mysterious ways aren't dark.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Screw experimental - I just want a "dark" album...

Snowlock said:

One and Mysterious ways aren't dark.

Mysterious Ways is dark in a sense - temptation, lust vs love, betrayal again - and One is coming from a dark past. If anything it is imploring someone to bring some light after a history of darkness.

B_Diddy_Ono said:

That section of SYCMIOYO - "I've still got to let you know - a house doesn't make a home" - maybe some people can disregard that lyric - I can not. For many reasons, against the backdrop of the music, the pain/emotion in his voice - and because that lyric means something to me. If you've come from somewhere where you've been subjected to an upbringing where it was all about butting heads and being held down for most of your life and perhaps even made to believe that the roof over your head - the money you were given was enough and you should be grateful... well it felt good to scream my lungs out with Bono and let them know - that house... didn't make a home.

That song SYCMIOYO - really touches me. I always liked it - and it always felt so poignant to me, the sound of it, the lyrics, the backstory and when he'd talk about his father - it always had an emotional affect on me. But then when I actually saw them live and he sung that - holy shit, it took on - a whole other level again. It got right inside and unlocked the door to that grief I secretly stored away instead of dealing with - and tears were running down my face.... and I simultaneously found his words accusing and comforting.

I'm so looking forward to the new album - a new journey to join. I'm happy to jump on the train and see where it takes me.

I'd love a track or two reminiscent of:
love is blindness, acrobat, ultra violet - a sort of dark, indulgent track... beautiful
And then something with some deep emotional connotations:
Kite (that song moves me so much - and I find release to scream along to that too) or SYCMIOYO..

I'd love them make a new song that could rival WOWY.

Threads like this just go to show how music is so differently interpreted between people, how one song can be 'interesting' to one person, 'touching' to another, and 'crap' to someone else.
We've all got our opinions, our favourites and our not-so-favourites
It's cool to hear other peoples takes on the songs - goes to show how music is all about personal interpretation - it speaks to us on a different level I believe.

:applaud: :yes:

Bring back the attitude guys.

AB, Zooropa, POP i hope that one day they will get back doing that kind of thing.

Not that their current work is bad, but because their 90's work just is heads above it.

It's all music though, not a competition. And I think any 90s-00s comparison should wait till the 00s are over.

I dont't buy into this crap about losing the ability to do "dark " just because you are in your golden years, if you can call 40s your golden years. Imagine a song about gravity inevitably messing with your scrotum as you get older. A song about your knackers wrapping around your knees would be a great example of "dark", up there with Exit.

If you're dying for a 'dark' album, the wait won't be that long.

March 6th, the Arcade Fire releases their second album, Neon Bible, which, judging from three songs so far (Black Mirror, Intervention, and Black Wave / Bad Virbrations), will likely be one freaking massive, ominous, and rocking album.

U2 would then be accused of jumping on the 'dark album' bandwagon started by every indie critics' favourite band.

But, perhaps it'll happen, I recently recall reading that Bono had the AF's 'Funeral' album constantly stuck/playing through his head.

gmplace0401 said:
If you're dying for a 'dark' album, the wait won't be that long.

March 6th, the Arcade Fire releases their second album, Neon Bible, which, judging from three songs so far (Black Mirror, Intervention, and Black Wave / Bad Virbrations), will likely be one freaking massive, ominous, and rocking album.

U2 would then be accused of jumping on the 'dark album' bandwagon started by every indie critics' favourite band.

But, perhaps it'll happen, I recently recall reading that Bono had the AF's 'Funeral' album constantly stuck/playing through his head.

Funeral was brilliant, and I doubt that Neon Bible can top it. However, I hope it can.

There's already one for sure great album coming out in a couple of weeks...Wincing The Night Away. :drool: :drool: :drool:

U2girl said:
I just want an album and less so a collection of songs, something that's been missing since Zooropa.
One producer, one mixer would be nice too.

Yes yes. An album that hangs together as a cohesive whole is long overdue. I'd love to see the band go away to some far-off location, hole up in a recording studio, and make a record that takes the audience on a trip.

I find it interesting that people request a "dark" album, considering they've gotten 3 out of U2.

Achtung, Pop, and HTDAAB are all generally dark albums in theme and, in the case of Pop and Achtung, in music.

What more do you want? All themes of darkness are covered in these albums - political darkness, breakups, divorce, spiritual crisis, death, depression.

HTDAAB revolves around the death of Bob Hewson and the depression that came with it. SYCMIOYO is a bleak, bleak piece of sadness. "Vertigo" is a man tempted. "A Man And A Woman" is a man in the doghouse. The only difference is that while in Achtung, the couple would have broken up, whereas in "A Man And A Woman", he appreciates what he has.

Because that's the difference between being 20/30 and being 45.

You want Bono at this point in his life to write about his broken heart?

I'm curious what "dark" U2 sounds like at this point if it's not HTDAAB.

I'm looking forward to a new direction. But I don't understand the HTDAAB/ATYCLB backlash. Those are 2 GREAT albums filled with GREAT songs, and, honestly, that's all I'm looking for at this point. When I'm feeling "dark" I put in Achtung Baby. And I don't expect another dark album because I think Achtung is the greatest album ever made, that's just my personal opinion.

There's more to my life than darkness, so I appreciate it when the songs reflect that. I also appreciate the flip-side of darkness, which is recovery: Stuck In A Moment. Getting better. I appreciate the Wild Honeys and the Beautiful Days because frankly, they reflect another part of life. I wouldn't want a whole album of all upbeat happy tunes either.

An album should resemble a day: a fair amount of sunshine and darkness together to make one cohesive statement. THAT'S all I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom