Sam O Sullivan: album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'ts true!!
Last week I went to Dublin and I spoke to Sam O'Sullivan (I saw him near the studios). We talked about the new album and there will be now new album this year. He told me that things like the mixing, choosing the titles of the songs, the order of the songs and the design of the album alone last 6 months. So Sam thinks the new album will be out next year and a new tour the year after the album :)

AtomicBono said:

It'd be nice if U2 didn't release an album around Christmas for once... because while fall 2007 may be too optimistic, fall 2008 seems like far too long. and I really don't see why people are saying 2009. Unless something unforeseen happens I wouldn't think the album would come out later than fall 2008.

well Sam told me that a new album will not be released around Chrismas or other holidays because it's to much competition with other albums and stuff, Christmass is better for best of albums he told me.
He said that september was a better month to release an album...

glamourgirl said:
I'ts true!!
Last week I went to Dublin and I spoke to Sam O'Sullivan (I saw him near the studios). We talked about the new album and there will be now new album this year. He told me that things like the mixing, choosing the titles of the songs, the order of the songs and the design of the album alone last 6 months. So Sam thinks the new album will be out next year and a new tour the year after the album :)

You can't post that here, its pessimistic!!! :lol: :wink:

Thanks for the info, definately makes sense and I hope its correct. :up: :)

glamourgirl said:
I'ts true!!
He told me that things like the mixing, choosing the titles of the songs, the order of the songs and the design of the album alone last 6 months.

:eyebrow: :| right

i don't mind this timeline. this year is so good for new releases already that i'm just going to focus on other bands this year, and then live the hype next year!

love2bmama said:
I'm pretty sure Paul has said he won't consider them releasing an album any timeof year other than Christmas, but I can't remember when or where I read that. How's that for credibility? :wink:

Was it U2 by U2 by any chance?

from U2 by U2 "Until The End Of The World 2002-2006" (page 320)

PAUL: ...There is no point in a big artist putting out a record any other time than in the fourth quarter of the year, when record sales worldwide are so big it is really equivalent to the rest of the year put together. So as we missed the dead lines for a fall release, the album slipped not into early 2004 but late 2004, ...

The fourth quarter would be either
October, November or December.

Couple things to add:

1.) I don't know why people are using U2's previous timeframes to figure out when this new one will be out. I'm pretty sure none of the boys are sitting at home thinking "We have to rush this one out to beat the 4 year mark!" It'll be done when it's done.

2.) And when it's done, you're looking at single in September and album in October or November. McGuinness is right, it makes no sense for such a monumental act to go anywhere else but the 4th quarter, business-wise. Also, by releasing the single in September, they're eligible for 2 years worth of Grammys on one album, similar to ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

3.) And I don't know if Rubin will pan out or will work for this reason: U2 NEEDS a producer. This band is maybe too creative. I remember a Rolling Stone article around the time that ATYCLB was in preproduction and it tracked the evolution of "Stuck in a Moment" through the course of a day and the song changed drastically. Not only that, but the fact remains that there's often some tension between the direction of songs. And how many times have Eno and Lanois been credited with providing the key element to a song? Well guess what? That ain't gonna happen with Rubin. He checks in every few weeks, listens to what you have, says "good" or "bad", and leaves. He wants songs completed before he records. But with U2, the songs often aren't complete until someone steps in and tells them "hey, don't mess with that one anymore. It's done, boys." I don't see Rubin doing that.

And as for my prediction, I'm saying album is out in November of 2008. The boys aren't working yet, and when they do start, probably sometime in the summer, you're looking at a good year of writing. Luckily, if they ARE going with Rubin, he likes to record fast, which should set us up for a September single and a November 2008 album.

Also, here's what Rubin had to say about the band in an interview conducted after this year's Grammies:

U2: "We've talked about doing some more, but they're on tour," said Rubin, who produced two tracks for the band's recent hits compilation, U218 Singles, including the Green Day collaboration "The Saints Are Coming." "Hopefully we'll get to do some more together."

They're on tour? My guess is there hasn't been much contact between the U2 and Rubin camps as he's a bit out of the loop. And "some more together" leads me to believe that Rubin would be a great selection should the band decide to use multiple producers a la HTDAAB. But judging from Larry's comments in U2 By U2 about that idea, it's unlikely.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me. I doubted U2 after Electrical Storm and they shut me up. I'm sure they'll do it again.

And as for Rubin, God I can't wait for new Metallica and Chili Peppers.

t8thgr8 said:

eum come on think about it: the boys want that everything is perfect and consider a lot of things to choose the right thing to do, so that lasts a lot of time...
recording the songs does not take a lot of time but the details do!
and why would Sam lie about that???? first I had the same reaction like you did but if you think about it, it just makes sense...

PAUL: ...There is no point in a big artist putting out a record any other time than in the fourth quarter of the year, when record sales worldwide are so big it is really equivalent to the rest of the year put together. So as we missed the dead lines for a fall release, the album slipped not into early 2004 but late 2004, ...

thats the kind of thing that pisses me off a bit. If you have an album ready in April just release it. Waiting until the holiday season is lame and smacks of greed and wanting to be the "biggest band in the world"

The_Edge89 said:

The fourth quarter would be either
October, November or December.

That would be the timeframe of release for most of U2 albums anyway, except War, JT (which was planned for late 1986 but got delayed due to Conspiracy of hope tour), Zooropa (not really a typical release timetable for that one) and Pop (also planned for late 1996 but got delayed).

The John Tree said:
And how many times have Eno and Lanois been credited with providing the key element to a song?

:yes: As much as I want U2 to come up with new sound time and time again, and as much as I'd like to see a different producer come along to shake things up........throw on a pair of good headphones, listen to your favorite U2 songs, and you'll often hear Lanois either playing or singing in the background.....

The John Tree said:

3.) And I don't know if Rubin will pan out or will work for this reason: U2 NEEDS a producer. This band is maybe too creative. (...) That [the kind of work Eno and Lanois does with U2] ain't gonna happen with Rubin. He checks in every few weeks, listens to what you have, says "good" or "bad", and leaves. He wants songs completed before he records. But with U2, the songs often aren't complete until someone steps in and tells them "hey, don't mess with that one anymore. It's done, boys." I don't see Rubin doing that.

That's just what I am afraid with U2 teaming with Rubin.

I wanted to chime in.

I had heard somewhere, that Bono was quoted as saying how he wanted to tour during the period leading up to a U.S. Presidential election.

Has anyone heard this, and have U2 ever conducted a U.S. tour during the months before a Presidential election?

If that's the case, they would need to release the album within the next 13 months and tour in Summer-Fall 2008.

Given Bono's political efforts these past years, it would not surprise me if this is something he might be interested in being involved with. Impacting who the next President is, or at least making his views known while on tour here.

SoCalMusicLover said:
and have U2 ever conducted a U.S. tour during the months before a Presidential election?

ZooTV. Tons of U2/Clinton interaction there. There actually had been some major discussion amongst the band over whether or not they felt right about seeming to back one side over another in a country that wasn't their own.

Haven't heard anything about a desire to tour pre-election again, but it could be nice.....U2 are on the Light Side of the Force, afterall.

Bono is going to be publicly non-partisan for the rest of eternity ... so I don't see the election in any way influencing the band - aside from the fact that Bono will likely be doing so much activist work in the year leading up to the election that the band will not be together enough in order to record the record.

I think cara's right, in the first part anyway, about Bono being publicly non-partisan. He can't afford to align himself with one side or the other too closely, he knows that he has to keep the lines of communication open on both sides of the aisle.

I'd like to disagree with the last part of your post, that Bono will be too busy throughout 2008 to "record the record", but you're probably right about that, too. :slant:

If Rubin wants the band to have a full roster of songs instead of "hoping God walks in the room" at the studio, the band is going to need a lifecoach to have them do their homework. This could speed up the process - or drag it way out. Who knows?

I'm all for a good record. I think Rubin is the man.

FFS people, stop this inane discussion now! The band does not exist for us, they have a life, they have partners, children, friends - LIVES!

Remember Edge's daughter? How many of you would want to be on the other side of the world when your daughter is very ill?

Remember Edge and Morleigh's first child together? How many of you would want to miss the birth of your first child?

Remember Bono's father? How many of you would want to work through your fathers last days in such a public way and work that night?

Let them write, record and promote what they want when they want!

If they want to write a polka album, then let them! If you don't like it, don't listen. Get over it. If you don't like their direction & songs, then start your own bloody band!

Don't like 4 years between albums, get a life then.

Last edited:
Hokusai said:
FFS people, stop this inane discussion now! The band does not exist for us, they have a life, they have partners, children, friends - LIVES!

Remember Edge's daughter? How many of you would want to be on the other side of the world when your daughter is very ill?

Remember Edge and Morleigh's first child together? How many of you would want to miss the birth of your first child?

Remember Bono's father? How many of you would want to work through your fathers last days in such a public way and work that night?

Let them write, record and promote what they want when they want!

If they want to write a polka album, then let them! If you don't like it, don't listen. Get over it. If you don't like their direction & songs, then start your own bloody band!

Don't like 4 years between albums, get a life in between.

Yeah right!!!
Anyway, it's not an excuse...

I agree with you Aygo.
Personally though, i understand if they never embark on another long world tour again, i wouldn't mind at all.
however I dont see how recording an album in Dublin would get in the way of their personal lives so much. they all live in Dublin, so basically would be the same as having a job like the rest of us do. We all have personal tragedies and shit we have to deal with but still have to go to work. i understand that a world tour is not what you need to deal with when you have families and real life stuff to deal with, but I dont really see how recording an album more than once every four years.
Just my opinion.

So many other artists and band elements have families, have their problems, some have other occupations too, some even have drug/alcohol trouble and other problems and I don't see them wasting 4 years to release an album in Xmas time and put in their pockets some more cash. That ennoys me...

An Cat Gav said:
I dont see how recording an album in Dublin would get in the way of their personal lives so much. they all live in Dublin, so basically would be the same as having a job like the rest of us do.

Well- not quite. They can only live in Ireland (or any other country) for a few months per year to avoid paying taxes. The rest of the time is spent in France and the US (a few months in each).

This why they should have just cancelled instead of postponing the Australian dates, those 12 shows or whatever has pushed back the album a year.

U2 is on their own schedule. They don't need to make any more albums or tour. They're set for life. So making the new album isn't as pressing as it once was for them. If they'd rather take more vacations to spend time with family and whatnot, then they can.

So tell me... does U2 have anything left to prove? What's their motivation now? Is the music purely for fun, or do they really feel like they have to reclaim the title of World's Biggest Band every four years? What about World's Best Band?

just things to ponder.

Back
Top Bottom