[RUMOUR] Hmv: No Line On The Horizon - Release date: 23-2-2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just make it a White cover with no horizon with U2 and make it a double album.....oh wait.. oops.:huh:

the-beatles---the-white-album400x40.jpg

absolutely hilarious. :up:

exactly.

....and WAY too predicatable. U2 tends to stay away from things that predictable.

Plus I'm pretty sure this title speculation was derived solely from the last u2.com clip. They are NOT unveiling their title name that way, end of story. If anything, that video made it clear that No Line on the Horizon is the title (or at least the current/recent working title).

haha! I remember a big conversation/argument about this back when the band was at Sundance and they played NLOTH (the song) for the journalist.

Yes! I'm gonna grab some popcorn and get ready to watch The Dictionary Police vs. The Poets: Round 2.

yeah, can someone PLEASE explain this to me as well.

DING! DING! (Here I come!)

Long story short....

...its both a metaphor and specific real life occurence.

i'll start with the latter:

Bono talks about being able to look across the foggy Irish sea towards the "horizon" during certain days and because of the gloomy skies and water you couldn't tell where the sea ended and the sky began...it was all one. Hence (DRUM ROLL PLEASE! :bonodrum:) There was NO LINE ON THE HORIZON.

Metaphorically speaking (and this is a bit of a stretch I think)

There is no divide between heavan and earth, or between life and death, or love and hate, or any antagonist/protaganistic relationship....the are one. You can tell where one thing ends and the other begins.....I think. or something having to do with ying and yang???? I don't know....

Guys! Any help here on this one????? :wave:

Also, in the Mojo article, Edge admitted to Danny Eccelston, that yes, NLOTH was indeed the working title, even though things can change at the last minute. But for the time being, I think it's safe to assume (until we hear otherwise) that NLOTH will most likely be the title...

This is from the Edge interview with MOJO on 11/20:

Is the album still going to be called No Line On The Horizon, or is that a red herring?
It’s not totally firmed up but it’s still the working title.

So, what the hell does it mean?
It’s an image. It’s an image, Bono tells me [laughs]. It’s like when you’re moving forward, but you’re not exactly sure what you’re heading towards – that moment where the sea and the sky blend into one. It’s an image of infinity, I suppose – a kind of Zen image.

I suppose he could be talking about an Event Horizon - that point where the laws of science break down as you enter a black hole...but still, there would have to be a "line" there, no? Maybe he should call it "Point on the Horizon"? That's still sorta pushing it, but then again, if you accept that crazy shit happens once you cross that Event Horizon, maybe there are no more "lines".

I'll have to ponder this.

This is from the Edge interview with MOJO on 11/20:

Is the album still going to be called No Line On The Horizon, or is that a red herring?
It’s not totally firmed up but it’s still the working title.

So, what the hell does it mean?
It’s an image. It’s an image, Bono tells me [laughs]. It’s like when you’re moving forward, but you’re not exactly sure what you’re heading towards – that moment where the sea and the sky blend into one. It’s an image of infinity, I suppose – a kind of Zen image.

YES.

thats much better than what I said. thank you.

I suppose he could be talking about an Event Horizon - that point where the laws of science break down as you enter a black hole...but still, there would have to be a "line" there, no? Maybe he should call it "Point on the Horizon"? That's still sorta pushing it, but then again, if you accept that crazy shit happens once you cross that Event Horizon, maybe there are no more "lines".

I'll have to ponder this.

Don't ponder too long...tjames921 pretty much spelled it out for all of us.

I like leaving the metaphorical angle alone.

I like to think that U2 is presenting an album that will be more about presenting us with beauty (the literal image of no line on the horizon) than hitting us with another message (HTDAAB, the metaphorical NLOTH).

Bono is a fantastic singer, a powerful and proven songwriter and an unequaled performer. But he's not much of a philosopher. I've said elsewhere that I think the activism would actually be helped by toning down the in your face activism, at least in the music. But (RED) Wire is a great idea.

I like leaving the metaphorical angle alone.

I like to think that U2 is presenting an album that will be more about presenting us with beauty (the literal image of no line on the horizon) than hitting us with another message (HTDAAB, the metaphorical NLOTH).

Bono is a fantastic singer, a powerful and proven songwriter and an unequaled performer. But he's not much of a philosopher. I've said elsewhere that I think the activism would actually be helped by toning down the in your face activism, at least in the music. But (RED) Wire is a great idea.

Thankfully Socrates never joined a rock band because he would have sucked.

Philosophy and music don't mix very well. I've always looked at Music as being analogous to "coming off of the field and sitting on the bench to reflect about your fumble" while philosophy was more of "your fat ass sitting at home eating chips describing why that player who fumbled the ball is a bumb and that you would have been better" even though the most athletic thing about you is your athletes foot.

That is a great quote, but I'm not sure Bono has always stuck to it.

I thought "Crumbs from Your Table" and to a lesser extent "Miracle Drug" were a little much off HTDAAB; on the other hand, I liked them both. I'm by no means an HTDAAB detractor. I just think Bono's image has taken a negative turn that's at least partly due to the little overt activism that he has done.

It's no problem for me. But a lot of people I know don't care for him. They see him as overbearing and hypocritical. I feel like he needs to tone down the image a bit this time around; with that in mind, I think the short hair is a good move.

I hope I didn't seem like I was down on the band. I've been quite content with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I just want the detractors to be left without reason to complain. Of course, that's probably impossible.

I just wish there was some way U2 could get away from feeling like this hugely important band. The music they make is hugely important on its own. It's just that good. I think part of the reason for these huge album waits and overblown images (the red sunglasses/platform shoes/long hair) is that the band faced self-awareness after the perceived disappointment of Pop. Ever since they've felt like they have to control absolutely everything, and it's made it all feel a bit packaged.

Everything's adding up to make me think this album will be different, though.

I've read a rumour on the U2eastlink.com forum that they have supposedly finished the album, decided that it is going to be a single traditional album with B-sides ready to be available on the Net. They are negotiating with Universal as we speak about the release dates of the single, album and the tour. Maybe we'll know something more next week.

Take this with a grain of salt, though. Plenty of crap on the Net.

It's no problem for me. But a lot of people I know don't care for him. They see him as overbearing and hypocritical. I feel like he needs to tone down the image a bit this time around; with that in mind, I think the short hair is a good move.

Yeah because its easy for those people to sit on the sidelines critiquing others who are out there on the playing field trying to accomplish something, and make the world better.

Hey man, its a catch-22, he is able to help others by using his celebrity to open doors that would usually be closed for people like you and me, but he wouldn't have his celebrity if it weren't for his rock life and excess. So how is that hypocritical?

I've heard this argument a million times before. "Oh he lives in a mansion and has a ton of cars, he's got plenty of money to give up so he should give it up" Great, but what will YOU give up? Yeah, some people do sacrifice for others, but most don't. Still those people expect others who have more than they do to give it up to those less fortunate while they don't.

Who are the hypocrites then? :hmm:

I think that the line in question has to exist. There has to be that last line between the laws of physics and the black hole. This then becomes the "horizon". There's no way around it. There just isn't.

That is a great quote, but I'm not sure Bono has always stuck to it.

I thought "Crumbs from Your Table" and to a lesser extent "Miracle Drug" were a little much off HTDAAB; on the other hand, I liked them both. I'm by no means an HTDAAB detractor. I just think Bono's image has taken a negative turn that's at least partly due to the little overt activism that he has done.

I hope I didn't seem like I was down on the band. I've been quite content with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I just want the detractors to be left without reason to complain. Of course, that's probably impossible.

I just wish there was some way U2 could get away from feeling like this hugely important band. The music they make is hugely important on its own. It's just that good. I think part of the reason for these huge album waits and overblown images (the red sunglasses/platform shoes/long hair) is that the band faced self-awareness after the perceived disappointment of Pop. Ever since they've felt like they have to control absolutely everything, and it's made it all feel a bit packaged.

Everything's adding up to make me think this album will be different, though.

I see where you are coming from.

I think Crumbs is the only song they've done in recent years that is really about Bono's activism. Miracle Drug, a song I really love, is about something different, BUT we all know that there are multiple layers of meaning to almost all U2 songs, so all songs can be interpreted one way or the other. LAPOE is the most "in your face" song on the last album.

I wouldn't worry about Bono's image. There will always be people who hate who he is and what he's doing and those who love and admire it. Generally I'd say his image is quite positive, and the haters are not important, because the people who really matter in the end accept what he's doing and acknowlege that.

Generalle, I feel it's a good thing Bono has kept his political work out of U2's music for the most time.

I don't know... the Sea & Sky thing sounds a bit corny to me... Plus Kate Bush got there first (sort of) with Sea of Honey/Sky of Honey on Aerial (as previously mentioned I'm sure...).

Back
Top Bottom