[Rumor] NLOTH (Album Version) on Sirius

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm assuming most of you know this, but just in case..when you are listening to a favorite song or artist, you can press down the 'select' button until you hear a beep and the radio will save the artist for you. Then you'll be alerted everytime your artist is playing, on any channel. My husband is constantly bitching about how often U2 pops up. Haven't seen NLOTH yet, but GOYB is on pretty frequently.

Dr.W,

I've been a loyal Sirius listener/subscriber since its inception. I agree that channel 21 is amazing as are a few others (Octane if you like harder stuff and Spectrum if you like a variety of classic and great music) Any who....I've heard and read numerous rumors that Sirius was in the process of talking to U2's management team about doing a "full-time channel" similar to Bruce and Company and The Stones. The last I heard they (Sirius) was just waiting for U2 to officially release their next album and they said it would be only a matter of time. Now that was early LAST YEAR, haven't heard anything since. I'll keep you up to date as I hear it. Last time it was from one of the DJ's who alluded to the above info and prior to that was through online rumors and emails to the company.

I'm sure that a band like U2 would more than qualify for their own channel due to their huge catalog of studio and live music. That might get more people around here to jump on the SiriusXM band wagon. I tell ya, once you listen to satellite radio, nothing else compares.

I obtained Sirius when I bought a new car in Nov. 2007. Before then, I didn't really see the benefit. Once I got it, I was hooked. I rarely listen to regular radio now (in fact, I'd say never). I am still annoyed that some Sirius stations play commercials (I love the Classic Radio station, which plays shows from the 30's through the early 60's, but they have way too many commercials), given that we pay for it. But it's a small price for the many stations that don't have commercials and for the sheer selection of stations!

With regards to U2, I felt that by now, there would be a Sirius station to promote the new U2 album. It would be not only a great way to promote the new, but remind people of the catalog music as well.

Initially I though that perhaps the U2 camp were waiting for the new album to be released. No "leaks" this way (I mentioned the "L" word :D ). Still, given that the album is just a few weeks away, one would think the promotion for such a station would have started by now, if it were coming. My guess is that there is no U2 station coming. :sad:

It's a shame too. Maybe the whole "bankruptcy" possibility is what is causing problems. But given our current economy, one would think a band like U2 could pull in more subscribers. And for U2, a temporary station would be enough. Sirius will certainly be around long enough to handle a temporary U2 station (and my guess is that they will be around a lot longer, even if it is under a new name).

I'm assuming most of you know this, but just in case..when you are listening to a favorite song or artist, you can press down the 'select' button until you hear a beep and the radio will save the artist for you. Then you'll be alerted everytime your artist is playing, on any channel. My husband is constantly bitching about how often U2 pops up. Haven't seen NLOTH yet, but GOYB is on pretty frequently.

I think this is only true if you have an actual Sirius radio player. I don't think it works for online or if you have it built into your car radio.

Love BPM and Area

Spectrum plays rock sometimes the non single tracks off albums and lesser known rock artists as well

awesome, i found spectrum its like next to 1st wave on my xm :wink:

1st wave is probably my first love though, Echo & the Bunnymen next to The Smiths next to Erasure, u2, REM, Bow Wow Wow, etc. I grew up on this shit :up:

I think this is only true if you have an actual Sirius radio player. I don't think it works for online or if you have it built into your car radio.

Oops, hadn't considered those options, but you're probably right. We have the XM Roady2 (I think?), but I love being able to save my favorite bands! I'll even save U2 on my husband's radio when he isn't looking, and he'll call and complain that "that damn new U2 song has popped up 50,000 times!" :cute:

I obtained Sirius when I bought a new car in Nov. 2007. Before then, I didn't really see the benefit. Once I got it, I was hooked. I rarely listen to regular radio now (in fact, I'd say never). I am still annoyed that some Sirius stations play commercials (I love the Classic Radio station, which plays shows from the 30's through the early 60's, but they have way too many commercials), given that we pay for it. But it's a small price for the many stations that don't have commercials and for the sheer selection of stations!

With regards to U2, I felt that by now, there would be a Sirius station to promote the new U2 album. It would be not only a great way to promote the new, but remind people of the catalog music as well.

Initially I though that perhaps the U2 camp were waiting for the new album to be released. No "leaks" this way (I mentioned the "L" word :D ). Still, given that the album is just a few weeks away, one would think the promotion for such a station would have started by now, if it were coming. My guess is that there is no U2 station coming. :sad:

It's a shame too. Maybe the whole "bankruptcy" possibility is what is causing problems. But given our current economy, one would think a band like U2 could pull in more subscribers. And for U2, a temporary station would be enough. Sirius will certainly be around long enough to handle a temporary U2 station (and my guess is that they will be around a lot longer, even if it is under a new name).

A couple of quick points that I wanted to make....

First off, I definitely agree with you that there should be some kind of promotional blitz in place by now. They could either have hosted a channel for a week like...dare I use their name? Cold....Play :reject::wink: or opted for the entire U2 channel scenario. Not sure what the hold up is.

Secondly, the whole bankruptcy thing is being misunderstood by many. While it isn't the best in publicity for the company it actually would help them eliminate a ton of debt they incurred from the merger with XM. They could streamline their operations and make things much more efficient, which in turn would allow them to stay afloat, operate biz as usual and acquire new talent and create new channels to gain new subscribers. The biggest problem that satellite radio had (which also contributes to their greatest debt) was the very thing that separates them from terrestrial radio....the satellites! Each one costs like half a billion dollars to build and launch into space. Each company dug themselves a huge hole to start, but it was a necessary and pretty obvious investment/expense. Again, the bankruptcy would allow them to streamline operations and bring them much closer to making profit and get out of the red from all of the initial debt that was incurred. Thankfully they don't have to keep launching satellites every year. :wink:

In the end, I believe that the company won't be going anywhere. Even if they fail to declare bankruptcy, there are a number of investors who would step up to take it over if the opportunity arises. The only thing that is holding the company down is the debt. They make millions upon millions of dollars a year in subsrciptions and ad revenue....so there isn't a problem with making money. They are number two behind only Comcast Cable in subscription revenue from their customers. Again, the only thing holding them back is the debt part. Eliminate all or most of that and the company would be golden.

Yesterday around 3 pm, on the alternative channel on Sirius, I heard the alternative version of No Line, not the album version. The version from the Boots single. Does this help or clear it up at all?

U2 should clean up and release recording of certain shows that they think are awesome (but that we, preferably, don't have good bootlegs of) to XM/Sirius, and allow part of the space on that channel to be occupied by those concerts. Not only would that be an awesome source of high-quality back-catalog bootlegs, but it would also put out examples how how awesome U2 live are, hopefully helping to sell tour tickets.

NLOTH2 on Alt Nation now

heard it :up:

i gotta say, that doesnt even sound like Bono singing except on the chorus. If i wasn't kind of listening for that it would have surely snuck up on me.

i also like this modest mouse song they are playing now...dont know how i can ever listen to normal radio again after XM.

Back
Top Bottom