Rumor: GOYB Single delayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo_spacejunk

The Fly
Adelaide - the city with a river without water.
Several u2 sites are now confirming that GOYB has been delayed - pushed back in some instances to the 24th of February - just three days before the supposed release of NLOTH in some countries.

This seems a bit unusual.

My concern - could the album also be delayed? Personally I don't think so, but couldn't imagine why the single would be either.

NEW @U2 'BOOTS' SINGLE DELAYED IN SOME COUNTRIES
February 05, 2009
posted by: m2

Several of our fellow fan sites around the world are reporting that the "Get On Your Boots" single has been delayed. It was supposed to be released between February 13-16 (depending on the country). But here's what we've been told about new release dates:

February 20: Germany
February 23: France
February 24: Spain

We'll update this as we know more.

Get on your boots
sexy boots, yeah

uhmmmm no

maybe they finally saw the light and figured out that it sucks :wink:

Several u2 sites are now confirming that GOYB has been delayed - pushed back in some instances to the 24th of February - just three days before the supposed release of NLOTH in some countries.

This seems a bit unusual.

My concern - could the album also be delayed? Personally I don't think so, but couldn't imagine why the single would be either.

That is weird, but in these days of downloads, maybe single releases just aren't that vital anymore, hasn't it been available for dowload for a while??
Don't worry though the album wont be delayed, there's no way in hell that it would be put back at this late stage.

It's odd that it seems to be only certain countries the single is delayed in. And btw, when the hell is the video clip being released?

I have told you people that I think the album will be delayed but some people have such a big U2 heart that they refuse to listen to reason. It makes no sense that a single is released just a couple of days before the cd. There are at least two weeks between the two so do the math.

This thread is called "Confirmed: GOYB Single delayed" but it's still speculation.

Only fan sites are reporting this news. No "confirmed" news from U2, Universal, Amazon etc etc. They all still have 16 February.

Can we please merge this thread with the other thread including the same "speculation".

:lock:

I've said it before and will say it again, who or what on earth is making decisions for the biggest band in the world? I have no doubt that the tour/album will be amazing but the promo for this record, and all the mixed messages has been shambolic...

I think it has to do with the video. Maybe they want to put the video on one of the single versions and make a DVD single.

But generally I don't think a single is so important for U2. I wouldn't buy it unless there's some b-side on it that's not on the album. The album is all that matters.

But generally I don't think a single is so important for U2. I wouldn't buy it unless there's some b-side on it that's not on the album. The album is all that matters.

I agree completely but a single is a way to promote the album in advance so why releasing it the same week the full album comes out. That doesn't make any sense.

^ That's right, but U2 is doing more and better promotion by performing the new song, or even more new songs from the album. So far, we have four confirmed U2 live performances: The Grammys, the Brit Awards, the Echo Awards and a French TV Special. That's the best promotion and I hope some more performances will follow.

I've said it before and will say it again, who or what on earth is making decisions for the biggest band in the world? I have no doubt that the tour/album will be amazing but the promo for this record, and all the mixed messages has been shambolic...

Pretty sad isn't it. Basically the song should have been released on the radio, video, downloadable and cd version of Get On Your Boots made available all on the same day.

That way song would have been given the best chance to hit the top 10, get instant recognition, and the extra push with the fantastic film clip. It would have let the majority of the public know the new U2 album is due soon.

The way its been launched, the single is done and dusted before the physical release. The film clip almost feels a waste of time now.

they wouldn't delay an album that already has a tracklist and a listening party for the press. Physical single releases aren't important.

I can't believe people think GOYB sucks. I think it's an incredible song. There's a lot going on and a lot that adds up nicely.

I can't believe people think GOYB sucks. I think it's an incredible song. There's a lot going on and a lot that adds up nicely.

Song is great, video is even better. Just wish it had a proper launch. I don't think the live promo performances now will do much for it...............hope I am wrong.

Atu2.com is saying it's just in three countries.

February 05, 2009
Several of our fellow fan sites around the world are reporting that the "Get On Your Boots" single has been delayed. It was supposed to be released between February 13-16 (depending on the country). But here's what we've been told about new release dates:

Song is great, video is even better. Just wish it had a proper launch. I don't think the live promo performances now will do much for it...............hope I am wrong.

I too like the song - the video is brilliant and has certainly increased my appreciation for it. (Initially I wasn't all that impressed with the song).

So good lead single (IMO), great video - I don't think the track has been given due credit.

As someone else suggested, really should have been a video / Cd single / digital single release all on the same day.

February 05, 2009

LOL, gets better! i guess it's quite charming in a way...

February 05, 2009

Hardly surprising. Multiple U2 releases have been delayed by a week in New Zealand, for instance. I think the Vertigo single was one of them; it came out on 8 November 2004 in most of the world, but I recollect it not coming out until the 15th in New Zealand.

By the way ...

So far, we have four confirmed U2 live performances: The Grammys, the Brit Awards, the Echo Awards and a French TV Special.

French TV special? I must have missed hearing about this. Details, please? I can't seem to find anything on here or other sites I normally check.

There is something wrong with this album since the beginning. Some facts that ocurred that made feel very skeptical about this whole thing.

In 2006 Bono said that he wanted to release a new album, that he "owned" the other guys this... then they do some sessions with that Rubin producer. All that work was scrapped.
In 2007 they go to Marroco and finally start the album for real. From there to mid 2008 they are amost finished with the album. It's scheduled to be released in October and then it's delayed.
In 2009 they release the first single with almost no promotion. The video is delayed, then the single is delayed too.
It's Feb 5th and the album has got Zero promotion. The single virtually passed by the listeners and makes no impact at all. (I'm not discussing here music quality)
Their website continues to feature the same visual theme from 2004.
Still no promotion.

So we see clear signs that things didn't go so well in the U2 camp. Maybe after so much time of work they still didn't find the new material good enough and then things didn't come smoothly since then.

Bomb sold 840.000 copies in it's first week in the USA. It was huge. Partly thanx for Vertigo/Ipod sucsses and partly because of the huge hit that was Leave Behind.

I don't see they even coming close to that kind of impact. I'm not saying that album sales is vital, but U2's goal is to continue to be relevant. And that is not going so well for them right now.

The GOYB video will make a nice impact! If it is followed by a strong second single the album will get enough attention... Think about the scheduled performances and the upcoming tour and 2009 will be a spotlight year for U2, so as long as the album is any good, sales will be fine throughout the year!

:wave:

There is something wrong with this album since the beginning. Some facts that ocurred that made feel very skeptical about this whole thing.

In 2006 Bono said that he wanted to release a new album, that he "owned" the other guys this... then they do some sessions with that Rubin producer. All that work was scrapped.
In 2007 they go to Marroco and finally start the album for real. From there to mid 2008 they are amost finished with the album. It's scheduled to be released in October and then it's delayed.
In 2009 they release the first single with almost no promotion. The video is delayed, then the single is delayed too.
It's Feb 5th and the album has got Zero promotion. The single virtually passed by the listeners and makes no impact at all. (I'm not discussing here music quality)
Their website continues to feature the same visual theme from 2004.
Still no promotion.

So we see clear signs that things didn't go so well in the U2 camp. Maybe after so much time of work they still didn't find the new material good enough and then things didn't come smoothly since then.

Bomb sold 840.000 copies in it's first week in the USA. It was huge. Partly thanx for Vertigo/Ipod sucsses and partly because of the huge hit that was Leave Behind.

I don't see they even coming close to that kind of impact. I'm not saying that album sales is vital, but U2's goal is to continue to be relevant. And that is not going so well for them right now.

Do I care about sales results? NO

Do I care if the album is any good or not? YES

Tell me what would you prefer?

1. Massive publicity with adverts etc on TV (which means good first few weeks sales figures) followed by an average album

2. Limited publicity with not very good sales figures compared with bomb but followed by a masterpiece?

Back
Top Bottom