Rumor: GOYB Single delayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a song stopping people from buying the album, the single's job is to get people who wouldn't buy it anyway to buy it

The die-hards would buy an album no matter what
Casual Fans maybe or maybe not
The average person won't buy an album unless they like the singles

Advertisement could make people who wouldnt buy want to buy, and again, are they not playing at award/tv shows?, is that not getting the song out there?

But they will? its on the radio... it'll be played at the award shows, what else can they do for gods sake?,

people just find negative things for anything and everything.

Release the video for the song when they're supposed to, and not delay its release when it's been booked to play on a national tv show
Not delay the single release, so that people can buy it?

U2 have just released the song to the radio and itunes in some countries, that is hardly effective promotion

When people see these shows then want to 1. Buy the single 2. Check the video for the single on youtube.

The time the video comes out and the single it will all be a distant memory.

Well actually the single comes out exactly after these performances. Except the Grammys, they are earlier (this Sunday, to be correct). So people won't "forget". It's more about the album anyway.

The biggest markets except UK already have the single on iTunes, and that's where it matters. The physical single means nothing. As soon as they perform it on Grammy (if they perform it, I'm guessing they will be playing their next single, which I assume will come sooner than later.) sales will rise. And promotion starts.

Putting your new single in a commercial that aired during the biggest football game of the year? Yep, that's terrible promotion...

I would likely blame radio over the actual band, also.

Everyone is freaking out way too much over this. :shrug:

If you weren't a U2 would you have even noticed that commercial had a U2 song in it though? The fact that it didn't help sales of the single at all seems to mean it was less than effective

If anything I'm just surprised that what is meant to be the biggest release of the year, is being handled pretty badly. I mean they've had years to prepare (Universal not the band) and it seems so unorganised. They're acting like it's still 5 years ago with how they're handling the release of the song in the UK and other areas physically

The biggest markets except UK already have the single on iTunes, and that's where it matters. The physical single means nothing. As soon as they perform it on Grammy (if they perform it, I'm guessing they will be playing their next single, which I assume will come sooner than later.) sales will rise. And promotion starts.

But the UK is a huge market, and probably their best chance of a number 1. Releasing it there over a month after everywhere else will have cost a lot of sales

U2 really have fucked this up royal. This is really going to hurt album sales, what happened to the slick u2 war machine ?

Honestly dude, if we were talking about Coldplay, or The Killers, or any other rock band then that would be true. This is U2 for god's sake...Bono farts on youtube and it goes platinum.

They'll be fine.

But the UK is a huge market, and probably their best chance of a number 1. Releasing it there over a month after everywhere else will have cost a lot of sales

In UK they know that album sales won't be affected by the single doing bad. And anyway, I said "except"... I agree that not releasing on UK was a mistake, cause the album sales wouldn't be affected negatively if the single flopped but it could be affected positively if the single did well in charts.

Honestly dude, if we were talking about Coldplay, or The Killers, or any other rock band then that would be true. This is U2 for god's sake...Bono farts on youtube and it goes platinum.

this is unfortunately true. I don't like it one bit.
time for a pint now

In UK they know that album sales won't be affected by the single doing bad. And anyway, I said "except"... I agree that not releasing on UK was a mistake, cause the album sales wouldn't be affected negatively if the single flopped but it could be affected positively if the single did well in charts.

But that might not be entirely true, look at Dido

She was bigger than U2 in the UK with her last album, biggest female artist of the 21st century easily. Her comeback album is released after a gap of 5 years. Single flops and the sells basically nothing. Her record label probably thought she was immune to flopping too. Her album sold 750,000 worldwide compared to over 2.1 million in the UK alone for the previous one. I'm sure U2 will do better, but their label have no excuse for this disorganisation.

I thought we stopped caring about album sales because we don't want U2 to be commercial and mainstream any more. I don't get it.

She was bigger than U2 in the UK with her last album, biggest female artist of the 21st century easily. Her comeback album is released after a gap of 5 years. Single flops and the sells basically nothing. Her record label probably thought she was immune to flopping too. Her album sold 750,000 worldwide compared to over 2.1 million in the UK alone for the previous one. I'm sure U2 will do better, but their label have no excuse for this disorganisation.

These types of comparisons are meaningless. There are a lot of "moment" artists who are everywhere for a 2-3 year period. U2 have been everywhere for a 22 year period.

The worst thing that can happen to U2 commercially is Pop. A failure only by U2 standards.

Of couse they don't have excuse for this. But Dido is a completely different story. She is waaaaay smaller than U2.

^ Why not? Everyone here will download this from You Tube.

sometimes it is a shame that they have become so big and that Bono's fart indeed goes platinum. They don't have to earn approval and sometimes that is a shame. Don't get me wrong, they truelly deserve to be where they are right now and it is just a sentimental feeling that is in my mind for a long time with this band. Maybe that is it, I miss the "longing" in the music that they always used to have. difficult to explain. nevermind

:wink:

These types of comparisons are meaningless. There are a lot of "moment" artists who are everywhere for a 2-3 year period. U2 have been everywhere for a 22 year period.

The worst thing that can happen to U2 commercially is Pop. A failure only by U2 standards.

I always laugh when I think about Pop being a flop selling 6-7 million copies and this years biggest seller by a mile sold the same. :lol: I know it was a flop beacuse it was 1997 and U2's last big album, AB, had sold 18 million copies, but it's funny anyway.

If you weren't a U2 would you have even noticed that commercial had a U2 song in it though? The fact that it didn't help sales of the single at all seems to mean it was less than effective

If anything I'm just surprised that what is meant to be the biggest release of the year, is being handled pretty badly. I mean they've had years to prepare (Universal not the band) and it seems so unorganised. They're acting like it's still 5 years ago with how they're handling the release of the song in the UK and other areas physically

Look, if this was five years ago and the ticket fiasco then I'd say you'd have every right to be upset. But, in reality, other than a few fans on a message board, no one is really giving a toss about the promotion of an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's.

It's all going to be ok; just breathe.

Look, if this was five years ago and the ticket fiasco then I'd say you'd have every right to be upset. But, in reality, other than a few fans on a message board, no one is really giving a toss about the promotion of an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's.

Can you not comment on something without people saying you're freaking out? :shrug:

sometimes it is a shame that they have become so big and that Bono's fart indeed goes platinum. They don't have to earn approval and sometimes that is a shame.

Judging from this forum, I don't know what other band has to earn their approval more than U2.

You guys might think me and Irishteen are " freaking out " but i think you guys are really underestimating the seriousness of the situation.

maybe no one is really giving a toss about an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's, other than a few fans on a messageboard.

I would LMAO if they sell 1,5 million copies or something. They will allways be a BIG draw on tour though

maybe no one is really giving a toss about an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's, other than a few fans on a messageboard.

I think you're very wrong here.

But of course, if you only live on this board, you don't know much about people in the "outside" world.

Yes, there actually are real people out there and some of them happen to like U2.

I always laugh when I think about Pop being a flop selling 6-7 million copies and this years biggest seller by a mile sold the same. :lol: I know it was a flop beacuse it was 1997 and U2's last big album, AB, had sold 18 million copies, but it's funny anyway.

Exactly, Most bands would kill to have a "flop" like Pop.

Back
Top Bottom