Rumor: GOYB Single delayed - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #106
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
But that might not be entirely true, look at Dido

She was bigger than U2 in the UK with her last album, biggest female artist of the 21st century easily. Her comeback album is released after a gap of 5 years. Single flops and the sells basically nothing. Her record label probably thought she was immune to flopping too. Her album sold 750,000 worldwide compared to over 2.1 million in the UK alone for the previous one. I'm sure U2 will do better, but their label have no excuse for this disorganisation.
These types of comparisons are meaningless. There are a lot of "moment" artists who are everywhere for a 2-3 year period. U2 have been everywhere for a 22 year period.

The worst thing that can happen to U2 commercially is Pop. A failure only by U2 standards.

bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #107
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:

She was bigger than U2 in the UK with her last album, biggest female artist of the 21st century easily. Her comeback album is released after a gap of 5 years. Single flops and the sells basically nothing. Her record label probably thought she was immune to flopping too. Her album sold 750,000 worldwide compared to over 2.1 million in the UK alone for the previous one. I'm sure U2 will do better, but their label have no excuse for this disorganisation.
Of couse they don't have excuse for this. But Dido is a completely different story. She is waaaaay smaller than U2.

MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:

She was bigger than U2 in the UK with her last album, biggest female artist of the 21st century easily. .
You're joking, right?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
^ Why not? Everyone here will download this from You Tube.
sometimes it is a shame that they have become so big and that Bono's fart indeed goes platinum. They don't have to earn approval and sometimes that is a shame. Don't get me wrong, they truelly deserve to be where they are right now and it is just a sentimental feeling that is in my mind for a long time with this band. Maybe that is it, I miss the "longing" in the music that they always used to have. difficult to explain. nevermind

zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 02:29 AM
I like Dido!
BoyOnTheHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyOnTheHorizon View Post
I like Dido!
I won't go down with THIS ship
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
You're joking, right?
Her first two albums each sold more than All That You Can't Leave Behind and Bomb combined in the UK

She was huge
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #113
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
These types of comparisons are meaningless. There are a lot of "moment" artists who are everywhere for a 2-3 year period. U2 have been everywhere for a 22 year period.

The worst thing that can happen to U2 commercially is Pop. A failure only by U2 standards.
I always laugh when I think about Pop being a flop selling 6-7 million copies and this years biggest seller by a mile sold the same. I know it was a flop beacuse it was 1997 and U2's last big album, AB, had sold 18 million copies, but it's funny anyway.
MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
If you weren't a U2 would you have even noticed that commercial had a U2 song in it though? The fact that it didn't help sales of the single at all seems to mean it was less than effective

If anything I'm just surprised that what is meant to be the biggest release of the year, is being handled pretty badly. I mean they've had years to prepare (Universal not the band) and it seems so unorganised. They're acting like it's still 5 years ago with how they're handling the release of the song in the UK and other areas physically
Look, if this was five years ago and the ticket fiasco then I'd say you'd have every right to be upset. But, in reality, other than a few fans on a message board, no one is really giving a toss about the promotion of an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's.

It's all going to be ok; just breathe.
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post
Look, if this was five years ago and the ticket fiasco then I'd say you'd have every right to be upset. But, in reality, other than a few fans on a message board, no one is really giving a toss about the promotion of an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's.

Can you not comment on something without people saying you're freaking out?
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
sometimes it is a shame that they have become so big and that Bono's fart indeed goes platinum. They don't have to earn approval and sometimes that is a shame.

Judging from this forum, I don't know what other band has to earn their approval more than U2.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:29 AM
You guys might think me and Irishteen are " freaking out " but i think you guys are really underestimating the seriousness of the situation.
vaz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullen's POPAngel View Post

maybe no one is really giving a toss about an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's, other than a few fans on a messageboard.

I would LMAO if they sell 1,5 million copies or something. They will allways be a BIG draw on tour though
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
maybe no one is really giving a toss about an album by a couple of men in their mid-40's, other than a few fans on a messageboard.
I think you're very wrong here.

But of course, if you only live on this board, you don't know much about people in the "outside" world.

Yes, there actually are real people out there and some of them happen to like U2.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #120
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
I always laugh when I think about Pop being a flop selling 6-7 million copies and this years biggest seller by a mile sold the same. I know it was a flop beacuse it was 1997 and U2's last big album, AB, had sold 18 million copies, but it's funny anyway.

Exactly, Most bands would kill to have a "flop" like Pop.

Acrobat08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
get on your boots