Rumor: GOYB Single delayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you're very wrong here.

But of course, if you only live on this board, you don't know much about people in the "outside" world.

Yes, there actually are real people out there and some of them happen to like U2.

this is not meant negative. I mean, everyone downloads their butt off these days. This will be U2 least selling record and lets face it; they are not Rock Hottest ticket anymore. Not that that is a bad thing, it is just inevitable. Bands like KOL connect much more to the young people nowadays.
It is unbelieveble that U2 have lasted this long in a world where people do forget very quickly. This is a testament to their music and will to be among the best.

but God do I wish they were 28 years old :sad:

You guys might think me and Irishteen are " freaking out " but i think you guys are really underestimating the seriousness of the situation.

i269102535_81036.gif

I think you're very wrong here.

But of course, if you only live on this board, you don't know much about people in the "outside" world.

Yes, there actually are real people out there and some of them happen to like U2.

Just read your comment again. Are you talking about yourself or other people?
your comment can not be meant for me obviously so I am curious

Exactly, Most bands would kill to have a "flop" like Pop.

But it was a flop, even the band is aware of that. It' not just album sales, but many consider Pop a weak album. I read today in a very respected newspaper here in Brazil referring to Pop as a disastrous move from the band.

this is not meant negative. I mean, everyone downloads their butt off these days. This will be U2 least selling record and lets face it; they are not Rock Hottest ticket anymore. Not that that is a bad thing, it is just inevitable. Bands like KOL connect much more to the young people nowadays.
It is unbelieveble that U2 have lasted this long in a world where people do forget very quickly. This is a testament to their music and will to be among the best.

but God do I wish they were 28 years old :sad:

If you think this will be U2's "least selling record", you've lost touch with reality. I want you to think long and hard about it, look up some U2 numbers, and get back to me.

Just read your comment again. Are you talking about yourself or other people?
your comment can not be meant for me obviously so I am curious

I was responding to your comment about only fans being interested in U2's music. That's just as ridiculous as saying U2 should only make music for their fans.

But it was a flop, even the band is aware of that. It' not album sales, but many consider Pop a weak album. I read today in a very respected newspaper here in Brazil referring to Pop as a disastrous move from the band.

It's a strong album, let's not get into that discussion again. It was a commercial flop.

If you think this will be U2's "least selling record", you've lost touch with reality. I want you to think long and hard about it, look up some U2 numbers, and get back to me.

okay, let me put it this way. pre-JT

okay, let me put it this way. pre-JT

What do you mean by "pre-JT"? U2's records sales have been rising for the last 13 years album-by-album without even taking into account the demise of the record industry and the rise of illegal downloading. Even if that trend were to start fading a bit, which wouldn't surprise me in the least, this album will SELL. Worst-case scenario: less than ATYCLB and HTDAAB but more than Pop.

It's a strong album, let's not get into that discussion again. It was a commercial flop.

I don't want to get into that discussion again, but even the band stated that they the album didn't come out the way they wanted due to lack of time. And i think that people in general consider Pop a very weak album by U2 standarts.

I was responding to your comment about only fans being interested in U2's music. That's just as ridiculous as saying U2 should only make music for their fans.

Oh dear...

I can just see you sitting there behind your computer, focused on all that is written. :hug:

just to inform you. I have never said that only fans are interested. I just said that it is bound to happen that almost 50 year old are losing their appeal to younger fans. They are making rockmusic not Frank sinatrastyle songs.

The biggest markets except UK already have the single on iTunes, and that's where it matters. The physical single means nothing. As soon as they perform it on Grammy (if they perform it, I'm guessing they will be playing their next single, which I assume will come sooner than later.) sales will rise. And promotion starts.

isn't GOYB available on UK itunes?

if that's the case, blimey :coocoo:

What do you mean by "pre-JT"? U2's records sales have been rising for the last 13 years album-by-album without even taking into account the demise of the record industry and the rise of illegal downloading. Even if that trend were to start fading a bit, which wouldn't surprise me in the least, this album will SELL. Worst-case scenario: less than ATYCLB and HTDAAB but more than Pop.

I dissagree. It will be difficult to be beat Pop.
A) In 1997 no one was downloading
B) they just had Achtung baby/zooropa
C) they were much younger

I will be VERY surprised if they top Pop. if they do: good for them, if not, not surprised, That's all

I dissagree. It will be difficult to be beat Pop.
A) In 1997 no one was downloading
B) they just had Achtung baby/zooropa
C) they were much younger

I will be VERY surprised if they top Pop. if they do: good for them, if not, not surprised, That's all

I think you are way off on the age thing. You didn't happen to take a look at the top rock record sellers from last year did you? Number one was some 30 year olds, number 2 was some 60 year olds. Metallica and G&R are old as well. If anything, age = more album sales when it comes to rock music, probably because of who is actually buying albums these days. U2 are arguably at the perfect age for record sales: old enough to be a high priority for actual record-buyers, young enough and good enough to appeal to those in the 18-28 range. If they were young, record-buyers would shun them and kids would steal their albums.

It is? Now, I'm confused :confused:

i don't know if it is or isn't hehe i was just going by what you were saying in your post

i think it would be crazy for it not to be available on UK itunes, i really do!

(i bought mine off itunes france - it turned up there a few days after radio release)

Well ok... thinking a little more, maybe they have delayed releasing to certain regions to connect with the promotion?, i mean the grammys, the songs already out in the US, so they play it and promote the song, the brits, the song is released here on the 15th (amazon etc still backs this up), the brits are on the 18th, U2 play there and promote the song thats just been released, so on so on? maybe am way out, but just a theory.

i don't know if it is or isn't hehe i was just going by what you were saying in your post

i think it would be crazy for it not to be available on UK itunes, i really do!

(i bought mine off itunes france - it turned up there a few days after radio release)

Well, as far as I know it's not released on UK iTunes. Any british mate to confirm?

Well, as far as I know it's not released on UK iTunes. Any british mate to confirm?

i just had a look on my itunes, changed the store to the UK, did a quick search on U2 and couldn't find GOYB there at all... the album is there to pre-order though, but you can't buy that one track yet

I've said it before and will say it again, who or what on earth is making decisions for the biggest band in the world? I have no doubt that the tour/album will be amazing but the promo for this record, and all the mixed messages has been shambolic...

:up::up:

They(U2,management and record label) have really shot themselves in the foot with this one....I can go back to when the album was delayed with Lanois saying they were putting the finishing touches on it in June and then all of a sudden the next thing you know we were hearing that the album wouldn't be released last November as originally planned.

The other thing is just as someone else said where the hell is the video for the song??...you mean to tell me it's taking this long to get clearances??
....well then use other images for God's sake...if you want a single to be successful on the charts you don't release it to radio and over 2 weeks later still not have a video for the single out......the promo for this album has been shockingly mediocre at best....it's one thing if you're a Pearl Jam who really is all about the music less the promotion and the fame....then fine,do whatever you want...... but we know U2 is not that type of band.

Step it up,boys or you will have another POP on your hands(in terms of record sales) ...I love that album fiercely,but we all know that was one of your weaker selling albums in part due to mismanagement on a number of different levels

I think you are way off on the age thing. You didn't happen to take a look at the top rock record sellers from last year did you? Number one was some 30 year olds, number 2 was some 60 year olds. Metallica and G&R are old as well. If anything, age = more album sales when it comes to rock music, probably because of who is actually buying albums these days. U2 are arguably at the perfect age for record sales: old enough to be a high priority for actual record-buyers, young enough and good enough to appeal to those in the 18-28 range. If they were young, record-buyers would shun them and kids would steal their albums.

Axl sold a record?!

and no, off course I am not going to look at a saleslist but maybe you have a valid point

It's all because old people don't know how to download. :tsk:

I looked yesterday and it still wasn't available.
i just had a look on my itunes, changed the store to the UK, did a quick search on U2 and couldn't find GOYB there at all... the album is there to pre-order though, but you can't buy that one track yet

Thanks...

Well, it's not on UK iTunes. I don't know. I'm sure Universal has some kind of plan and reason why they're running things like this.

ACDC was number 2 to Coldplay, and not by much.

The difference was about a 1.5 million... that's a lot in today's standards. Interesting is that the top 3 sellers of albums released this year are rock bands. Last year was Linkin Park, also a rock band. (Well, it sucks but it is.)

The difference was about a 1.5 million... that's a lot in today's standards. Interesting is that the top 3 sellers of albums released this year are rock bands. Last year was Linkin Park, also a rock band. (Well, it sucks but it is.)

The point is that they are old (a lot older than U2 by "today's standards") and they sold a bajillion records. And unlike U2, they are not good.

Back
Top Bottom