Rumor: Band is already discussing date release and maybe new single out this year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One single album is too safe, predictable.

This is a lot like saying that electric guitars have grown stale. The format is irrelevant; it's what you do with it. :scratch: It's not as if double albums are a wholly original concept either.

No way do I believe that U2 were told their album is crap or it can't be released. Even if it is crap, you're still going to have a lot of sales, it may not get to the last album $, but a band like U2 releases anything and it's going to boost the label's profits.

What I see hapenning is this:

U2 went to Jimmy and asked him for this opinion on the following:

1. Double Album. U2 wants to know if they have enough for it to be considered great, and JI tells them he feels they're 2 songs short. Doesn't mean the rest of the music is crap, just means in his mind another couple of good songs will put it over the top.

2. U2 releases one album, but the album has a few way out there songs, whether it be instrumentals, or just whacked out Passenger type mood songs. Jimmy says maybe a couple of regular tunes in that it doesn't throw the "Average Fan" off.

Either way, I don't really think it's that negative as to what people are guessing. Jimmy knows U2, and has even produced for them, he knows their music, and is their friend. Sounds like he was critical to a degree, and U2 listened to him and decided to take his word.

As for the original topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hot Press or whatever magazine is quoted from didn't pull his/her information from here. ArtDirector has come out and told us that his "source" mentioned Double Album vs. Single Album with Bsides, or Long Single Album.

You have to figure writers these days will scoop the internet to try and find any "news".

All we know is that information is coming out, false or true. That's more than what we could say between July - November.

I really think the Album is done, or will be done within the next week or two. U2 would probably love to finish up right before the holiday. I think we'll have a single in 3/4 weeks.

i believe everything i read on myspace.

:hmm: so these adult solicitations i receive from random people scattered throughout the country who want to rump are legit? better yet, they are as hot as they appear in their totally real small little avatar picture? hot damn. i'm a lucky man.

Anyone that remotely believes the rumor that a record company told a legendary rock band (who have sold over 100 million records world wide, by the way) that they think any of their soon to be released work is crap at a time when the music industry is starving for talent in the middle of a talent famine needs to go see a doctor.

IOW, what the fuck is wrong with you?

I've heard some crazy rumors before, but this is downright stupid. Can we get our senses back people?

Anyone that remotely believes the rumor that a record company told a legendary rock band (who have sold over 100 million records world wide, by the way) that they think any of their soon to be released work is crap at a time when the music industry is starving for talent in the middle of a talent famine needs to go see a doctor.

I've heard some crazy rumors before, but this is downright stupid. Can we get our senses back people?

Co-Sign. That's over 150 million, at the least. Who the hell are Saint Etienne anyway? Btw, what senses? :D

You are so correct. With CD sales slumping at the moment a U2 album is very much needed, and whether it's a bad album or not it will still sell lots. And anyway, most of us have heard the beach clips of four songs that will most likely be on this album, and nearly all of us like or love them.
I just hope this terrible rumour doesn't get picked up by the press. I can't imagine the bad vibes it would cause.

So anyway, when does everyone think the album announcement will be made? With recording finished, the Universal execs discussing details with the band, and a late-Feb release seemingly fairly secure, we won't have long to wait. The date December 10 keeps popping into my head, so I'm going to go with that. Of course earlier would be better!

All this talks bring back some toughts... I think U2 are too aware that everybody is waiting for their new album. Every previous album was preceded by great expectations and that is the porpose of such a band when they put new songs out. But this time the expectation is now too long, there has been even a oficially reported delay.

I think if they intend to release the new album in February it's about time for them to make an oficial anoucement and give a end to all this talk and speculation. Now all the big releases had been made(Coldplay, Killers and Guns) so its a perfect time to start building a real hype about their new work. I really don't understande all this silence. If the album will come out in Feb then it doesn't make sense anymore.

New Rumour... :drool:

So close to a single release, maybe in a few weeks. :combust:

omg omg omg omg omg! :hyper:

No way do I believe that U2 were told their album is crap or it can't be released. Even if it is crap, you're still going to have a lot of sales, it may not get to the last album $, but a band like U2 releases anything and it's going to boost the label's profits.

What I see hapenning is this:

U2 went to Jimmy and asked him for this opinion on the following:

1. Double Album. U2 wants to know if they have enough for it to be considered great, and JI tells them he feels they're 2 songs short. Doesn't mean the rest of the music is crap, just means in his mind another couple of good songs will put it over the top.

2. U2 releases one album, but the album has a few way out there songs, whether it be instrumentals, or just whacked out Passenger type mood songs. Jimmy says maybe a couple of regular tunes in that it doesn't throw the "Average Fan" off.

Either way, I don't really think it's that negative as to what people are guessing. Jimmy knows U2, and has even produced for them, he knows their music, and is their friend. Sounds like he was critical to a degree, and U2 listened to him and decided to take his word.

As for the original topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hot Press or whatever magazine is quoted from didn't pull his/her information from here. ArtDirector has come out and told us that his "source" mentioned Double Album vs. Single Album with Bsides, or Long Single Album.

You have to figure writers these days will scoop the internet to try and find any "news".

All we know is that information is coming out, false or true. That's more than what we could say between July - November.

I really think the Album is done, or will be done within the next week or two. U2 would probably love to finish up right before the holiday. I think we'll have a single in 3/4 weeks.

What I see happening is this.....the U2 album has been REJECTED story is a bad game of telephone that evolved from the .......

1.)"U2 told Iovine the band needs 2 more songs" story

that turned into

2.)"Iovine told the band they need two more songs" story

which has now turned into

3.)"universal has rejected the U2 album" story

what I see is a blog that is complete bullshit

I really don't understand why folks would prefer a double album or a release of an album disc + "b-side" disc over the release of a regular album with an EP or bonus album a few months later. :scratch: Basically, you want to blow your U2 load all at once, which seems kind of silly to me.

As for the "b-sides" idea, I don't really think that anyone's "complaining" about the idea of b-sides. True b-sides---original songs tacked onto original singles---is what everyone would love to see. They're a bonus & often pretty cool. We've complained over the last decade that b-sides have all been remixes. The folks (like me) who aren't giving any love to this notion of a "b-side" disc would still love to see true b-sides on true singles. It's the idea of tacking on an extra disc just for the hell of it instead of doing something more interesting with it that we have an issue with. :shrug:

Personally, I don't want a regular 11 song album in February, and get the "we actually got more songs but you'll get those ____ (insert number) months later" treatment from the band. (aka the Bomb/All that... leftovers on the Digital U2)

B-sides are nice but U2's output has been increasing in that area for years now...I doubt that they're suddenly loaded with B-sides. And I don't see them doing a AB/Zooropa type of scenario - not the 4 year+ album gap U2 of the current decade...and a double album (fully studio material, unlike the mess that was Rattle and Hum) would actually be a novel concept with U2, unlike the other options. If they have enough quality material, why not ?

1. If I buy it on iTunes, is it still a double album?
2. Anyone that thinks Universal rejected a U2 album is off their rocker. First because the idea that Bono, Edge and co. would make something that bad but would need Universal to make them aware of it is ridiculous. And to think anyone at Interscope would have the balls to say that to the band is absurd. If they did make a shit album, everyone in that room would praise it anyway. Even more than that, that story would be everywhere, EVERYWHERE.

^ Agreed. Especially after hearing and reading for months that everyone and their mothers and hairdressers are "blown away" by the new songs.

With the date of a possible single release approaching: Isn't it time for some tape to be stolen and some notebook to be lost? :hmm:

Viva La Vida is a European only release and Violet Hill is France only; and I have no idea where Human was released (think it got a Vinyl release worldwide though) but I'm none of them had a UK release. Violet Hill was also released as a free CD in a magazine last I checked too.

With the UK and US physical sales pretty much gone; there isn't much of a market for them at all, especially if you want to get them at a decent price.

B-sides are nice but U2's output has been decreasing in that area for years now...

Typos suck.

Well, if the album blows so much Universal said no, everyone was in a way blown away when they heard it.

im exicted. the fact u2 have even more enough material to possible consider a double album is good news to me. either way they go, i cant wait to hear something besides those beach clips.

Although a complete canard, I would actually be somewhat happy if Universal rejected the record. From my perspective, Universal is concerned with massive acceptance, translated to massive profits. A rejection might be indicitive of a record that does not necessarily appeal to the masses (at least at first blush) or conform to currently accepted musical standards. Initially, innovation is often met with shrugs and scoffs. Many listeners originally flipped a lid when they got their first taste of "The Fly".

Although a complete canard, I would actually be somewhat happy if Universal rejected the record. From my perspective, Universal is concerned with massive acceptance, translated to massive profits. A rejection might be indicitive of a record that does not necessarily appeal to the masses (at least at first blush) or conform to currently accepted musical standards. Initially, innovation is often met with shrugs and scoffs. Many listeners originally flipped a lid when they got their first taste of "The Fly".

i agree, even though i think the rumor is complete bogus.

How could anyone think it would be good for Universal to reject a U2 album? surley that would mean they would want it more radio friendly and appeal more to the masses? which if i am not mistaken some people dont want on this forum?

Back
Top Bottom