Rumor: Band is already discussing date release and maybe new single out this year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need for anymore best of´s! Hoping for a single late December released on cd single with 2 new b-sides and then the album in February with the second single released a week prior to that:applaud:

Though I would very much love a new single on the airwaves before the end of the year, I highly doubt that it'll happen. I think the band will be having their Christmas break (and I'm sure that they will want a quiet extended break) before the rocket launches. Early January, at best, for a single to hit and all the PR that goes with it. Either way you think of it, it is really right around the corner. :hyper:

I'm not sure that the Iovine quote absolutely disqualifies any chance of a double album. Perhaps they had a good assortment of "album tracks", but not enough singles or "big" tracks on there, especially if they've been pushing the musical boundaries. The idea that they could already have 15 tracks but still need a few more makes perfect sense if looked at in that way.

I don't really care if we get a double album or not as long as we get the songs. More U2=more happiness for me.

What if they released the album and then they released a new song online every month for a year (the b-sides)

that'd be kind of awesome. you'd have something to look forward to all year!

don't know if it's been posted. rumor: Bob of Saint Etienne allegedly said that universal has rejected U2's new album. don't know if it's true. don't crucify me if it's not. anyone knows spanish please translate:
jenesaispop.com ? El disco de U2, ¿rechazado por la compañía?
also:
U2: Nuevo album de U2: ¿Rechazado por Universal? - U2fanlife: U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Music, U2 Live, U2 CD-DVD
seems this is the myspace blog they are talking about:
Myspace.com Blogs - Tell me please, cos I have to know - Saint Etienne MySpace Blog

don't know if it's been posted. rumor: Bob of Saint Etienne allegedly said that universal has rejected U2's new album. don't know if it's true. don't crucify me if it's not. anyone knows spanish please translate:
jenesaispop.com � El disco de U2, ¿rechazado por la compañía?
also:
U2: Nuevo album de U2: ¿Rechazado por Universal? - U2fanlife: U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Music, U2 Live, U2 CD-DVD
seems this is the myspace blog they are talking about:
Myspace.com Blogs - Tell me please, cos I have to know - Saint Etienne MySpace Blog

google translation says:

As story. Let me be clear. It's a rumor. Where does? Well, a post he wrote yesterday, Wednesday, Dec. 3, Bob Stanley, the English group Saint Etienne.

According writes on MySpace, a pop star (does not say who) had commented that Universal would have rejected the new U2 album ...

We knew that last week, Jimmy Iovine of Interscope-Geffen-A & M, had heard the songs on the new job of the band, and Bono and The Edge had commented that they were missing two items and that he had given them reason .. . but then that the company has rejected the disc ... Phew!. Possibly this is the source of the rumor.

I am inclined to think that U2 is polishing "the new songs. Can afford all the time in the world.

I really don't understand why folks would prefer a double album or a release of an album disc + "b-side" disc over the release of a regular album with an EP or bonus album a few months later. :scratch: Basically, you want to blow your U2 load all at once, which seems kind of silly to me.

As for the "b-sides" idea, I don't really think that anyone's "complaining" about the idea of b-sides. True b-sides---original songs tacked onto original singles---is what everyone would love to see. They're a bonus & often pretty cool. We've complained over the last decade that b-sides have all been remixes. The folks (like me) who aren't giving any love to this notion of a "b-side" disc would still love to see true b-sides on true singles. It's the idea of tacking on an extra disc just for the hell of it instead of doing something more interesting with it that we have an issue with. :shrug:

Rejected the new album?

Holy Shit.

Is it that bad?

Whether or not this is entirely true, it sure doesn't bode well.

Fuck.

I think instead of releasing a double album which may put some casual people off buying it due to it then probably being more expensive - they should do what Paul Weller did with his latest album '22 Dreams', just stuff 22 songs (or whatever) onto one disc, so technically you have what could easily be spread over a double album crammed onto one disc.

i suggest to everybody not believing everything that you read on the internet, especially something that cites myspace as its source.

i actually think the b-side disc is even less likely than a double album, given their propensity to hold back material for a later date if it doesn't fit the album.

and why would a band wait 5 years to realease an album with an optional bonus disc of the rest of the stuff? that's like saying, "oh yeah and here's the other junk we recorded too" and bring them back down to square one again.

most likely: single album, perhaps a few tracks longer than their typical stuff (maybe 15 tracks! gasp!) followed by another record soon. Like Kid A / Amnesiac. or just saving those other tracks for another damned 5 years and seeing what works with the next batch of new stuff.
next most likely: double album (wishful thinking on my part)
least likely: album and b-sides disc.

I really don't see U2 going the In Rainbows Disc 2 route at all.

But then again i might be wrong. i usually am. I am just excited about the facts:

1. we are getting a record
2. it supposedly is a change in sound

that's all i really need to know to be excited.:drool::drool::drool:

rumor is that Bono told Elton John, and Elton told Neil Tennant, and Bob Stanley is doing vocals on the new record of PSB. just rumor.
take it with a grain of salt. how can the president of the company (universal?) sang like a bird, and then he rejected the album?

There is NO WAY Universal would have rejected a U2 album. This is clearly a misinterpretation of Iovine's "needs two more songs" comment.

ah, the internet

Definatley, at the end of the day U2 could just tell Universal to go and shove it up their A**,

rumor is that Bono told Elton John, and Elton told Neil Tennant, and Bob Stanley is doing vocals on the new record of PSB. just rumor.
take it with a grain of salt. how can the president of the company (universal?) sang like a bird, and then he rejected the album?

As far as I know Lanois was referring to Bono as being "president of the company" in that comment...

most likely: single album, perhaps a few tracks longer than their typical stuff (maybe 15 tracks! gasp!) followed by another record soon. Like Kid A / Amnesiac. or just saving those other tracks for another damned 5 years and seeing what works with the next batch of new stuff.

+1

Kid A / Amnesiac comparison could be very relevant...

There are three possibilities that could arise from the Universal rejection:

1. The band decides to be Universal's bitch and retools the entire record.

2. The band says "fuck you" and finds another way to release it.

---> 3. There is no substance to the rumor to begin with, and this post is a complete waste of my time. <---

There are three possibilities that could arise from the Universal rejection:

1. The band decides to be Universal's bitch and retools the entire record.

2. The band says "fuck you" and finds another way to release it.

---> 3. There is no substance to the rumor to begin with, and this post is a complete waste of my time. <---

Am i to assume you are going with option 3?

I wonder what a retooled U2 album would sound like. :hmm:

One thing is for sure, Stand Up (And Stop The Poverty) will sound a whole lot different after being remixed by Timbaland. Perhaps will.i.am's appearance is being used as a bargaining chip of some kind.

Of all the bullshit rumors, the most unrealistic one I've heard is this one: that Universal would reject an album by U2. That's absurd. There's no possible way.

^ I absolutely agree. This rumour is laughable. Don't jump to any conclusions just because someone is writing something on a MySpace blog. This is just a wild misinterpretation of stories we've heard in recent weeks and months, no need to worry. The idea alone of Universal rejecting a U2 record is ridiculous.

I'd go with a Double Album too.

One single album is too safe, predictable. Also, at this point, I don't trust whoever make the decision of what songs are on the final album and what other aren't.

So a Double Album is way more fresh and exciting :heart:

Back
Top Bottom