Rumor: 55 unfinished songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reliable or not "songs" is a relative term.
They had more than 100 "songs" during the ATYCLB sessions.
And how many of those were 'completed' and released?

Furthermore, how many of those are just different editions of another song? There could very well be 10 different versions of Beautiful Day. 8 of which were shelved and never to be heard, 1 in Always, and 1 in the final copy.

Point being that while Always and Beautiful Day are absolutely different songs, they're still of the same origin and would never appear on an album together. One made the other.

Yeah. That's the whole point, really.
100 songs to Bono might very well end up being only 20 distinct songs.
Adam has a great quote on this that I'm sure someone will eventually post here.

I would be surprised if U2 currently had more than 25 songs of any distinguishable difference (meaning Always and BD or Native Son and Vertigo would be 'one' song to...let's just say, Edge). But I think the majority of that "55" (if there is any truth to this) would be simple drum loops, bass riffs, chord structures, Bono scat-singing over them for melody ideas, all potentially becoming something more finished. But to Bono they are currently "songs". Maybe because they have to be labeled by the studio people in order to know what the hell it is. So they come up with goofy names like "Shark Soup" (wasn't it Vertigo?).

All that said, as a musician/songwriter, I appreciate what Bono means.
Sometimes a "song" seems like a song until...it isn't.

Indeed, I would take this to mean more like 55 ideas which may or may not continue evolving into actual songs.

Just don't dump Danger Mouse. Please.

We already know that they have lots of material (at least they have said so themselves). The only thing new here is the number 55. But I am sure they didn't even count how many different songs they have, so it there is nothing really new here at all. In fact, I do not believe it is possible to count, since lots of that material is only ideas and so on. Not even songs. And the part about touring next year. We already know it is "maybe" and "possibly" and "perhaps" and what not.

My pessisism is not directed to you "Super Yo", so thanks for posting. :)

I believe the story, and the the source, and that Bono indeed said they had 55 "songs"...but considering the source is Bono, I'm not holding my breath.

I know the fish & chips place they're talking about.

All 55 of the songs are really, really good.

Lots of hits?

Many of you don’t know the history that I share with Bono and Ali. My husband and I are a wee bit older than they (and the other members of the band) but we went to Temple Hill together.

:lol: Temple Hill? Either this person is full of shit or very forgetful, since it was named Mount Temple.

Bet the fish n chips place was Burdocks. That's the best Chippie in Dublin! Not much room to sit though, but the band is known to come there when they're in town.

liked this bit:
As for a 2013 Tour? Quite Possibly. Maybe. Could Be. Looks Like It. I Would Say. Don’t Quote Me On It. It Just Might Happen. Probably. We Want To. We Miss It. It Would Be Different Than 360 Was. ~ these words all came out of his mouth.

Those are all random quotes we've seen before... clipped from random interviews.

So when it says "these words all came out of his mouth", it's technically not a lie. They just meant, "these words came out of his mouth... over the past couple years" :D

Maybe they hassled him at the fish and chips place and then made up the whole thing about them being old friends.

That sounds very likely. Very, very likely. Kinda funny because they posted photos of Bono holding something red, then suggested that it looks exactly like the journal THEY gave Bono.

Except that those pics are from when U2 were in Germany, Hansa Studios recording FTSD. And it's Bono's iPad (RED) cover. So yeah. Definitely fake to me.

If you're trying to scam OCD U2 fans, try not to mess up. They'll notice. :wink:

am I the only one who doesn't see any pictures in that blog post? (except the one with the signature)

did we really need independent confirmation to confirm that a blog that looks like it's run by an obsessed stalker and/or dedicated writer of fan fiction doesn't have yearly lunch with bono and ali?

couldn't we just, ya know, use our noggins on that one?

i mean there are people on these boards who have loose connections to people in and around the u2 camp, and/or know people who do... some us who've been around here a long time know who a few of them are. they all have one thing in common... they don't talk about their loose connections to people in and around the u2 camp very often. they certainly don't blog about it. why? 'cause they wouldn't have said connections anymore if they did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom