Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. AB
2. JT/UF
3. NLOTH
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. War
7. Boy
8. October
9. ATYCLB
10. R&H
11. HTDAAB

NLOTH has held up surprisingly well with me. :up: I absolutely love it.

1) AB
2) JT
3) UF

The order of those top three is pretty much arbitrary and can change depending on my mood.

4) Zooropa
5) NLOTH
6) Passengers
7) Pop
8) Boy
9) ATYCLB
10) HTDAAB
11) October
12) War

Honestly I haven't listened to Boy or October in a good while, and I haven't listened to War in years. It's not even on my iPod.

Top three. And I really mean it. I dont care about lack of hit singles and media response, I think it's brilliant.

1. JT
2. AB
3. UF
4. War
5. R&H
6. NLOTH
7. Zooropa
8. Boy
9. October
10. Pop
11. ATYCLB
12. HTDAAB

I think that's about the same as three months ago.

its not in my top 3 thats for-sure.

Achtung baby/zooropa

JT/R&H

does not get better than that. but i do enjoy "Magnificent" i think that one song is Great.

Ah, cool. I just re-rated all of mine recently:

1. POP
2. Zooropa
3. Achtung Baby
4. War
5. Boy
6. Joshua Tree
7. October
8. Rattle & Hum
9. Atomic Bomb
10. All That You Can't
11. No Line
12. The Unforgettable Fire

Just a few comments about why NLOTH ranks so low right now: I told myself not to get too wrapped up in the hype, but I did anyway. Everyone around the band kept throwing around the words "innovative" and "experimental". This album is neither of those, thus becoming almost a total disappointment for me. The songs seem like they came out of a place of experimentation, but then got over-worked in favor of mixing in more of the pop music U2 sound that has saturated the previous two albums for fears of lower album sales or some other reason I can't figure out. End result = an album that doesn't know which side of the fence it wants to be on, and therefore fails to be one of the great experimental U2 albums and also fails to be one of the great U2 top-of-the-pop-charts albums. I'm still hoping it will be more of a transition album into stranger territory.

1) JT
2) AB
3) UF
4) ZOOROPA
5) POP
6) WAR
7) ATYCLB
8) BOY
9) NLOTH
10) OCTOBER
11) R&H
12) HTDAAB

i feel like i'm leaving an album out

but anyways, this album NLOTH i guess has weakened a bit in my eyes after so many listens, it's not that it's got bad songs on it, i think every song (with the exception SUC) is decent, but it doesn't really flow well...i'm talking the CT-SUC section, plus the WAS to Breathe to COL. And for an album to great it must do one thing very well, which is FLOW. It has to be good from beginning to end, it has to seem like it's telling a story.

That's why Rattle and Hum is so low. I love all the studio songs, LOVE 'EM. But do i really want to listen thru all the other bullshit to get to them? BOMB is dead last because i just flat out HATE it.

But anyway, that's where i'm coming from.

Ah, cool. I just re-rated all of mine recently:

1. POP
2. Zooropa
3. Achtung Baby
4. War
5. Boy
6. Joshua Tree
7. October
8. Rattle & Hum
9. Atomic Bomb
10. All That You Can't
11. No Line
12. The Unforgettable Fire

Just a few comments about why NLOTH ranks so low right now: I told myself not to get too wrapped up in the hype, but I did anyway. Everyone around the band kept throwing around the words "innovative" and "experimental". This album is neither of those, thus becoming almost a total disappointment for me. The songs seem like they came out of a place of experimentation, but then got over-worked in favor of mixing in more of the pop music U2 sound that has saturated the previous two albums for fears of lower album sales or some other reason I can't figure out. End result = an album that doesn't know which side of the fence it wants to be on, and therefore fails to be one of the great experimental U2 albums and also fails to be one of the great U2 top-of-the-pop-charts albums. I'm still hoping it will be more of a transition album into stranger territory.

Im bummed as well.. ;< nice review.. and honest..

1 - JT - A defining statement. If it's not in your top two, your list is incorrect.
2 - AB - See above.
3 - TUF - U2 wanted NLOTH to have the impact and scope of this album. Still sounds fresh, 25 years later.
4 - ATYCLB - An incredible achievement for a veteran band. Great, great songs all over it.
5 - Zooropa - Cool space rock in the middle of the grunge era.
6 - POP - Much better than remembered by the general public, not quite as good as this forum would lead you to believe.
7 - HTDAAB - Hit and miss for sure, but a highly enjoyable rock record. Vertigo!
8 - R&H - A jumbled mess, sure. But it also has Desire, Angel of Harlem and AIWIY on it.
9 - NLOTH - More hits and misses, ultimately an album of modest pleasures, not something you expect from a U2 album.
10 - War - A dated feel to it, but the classics make it an important record.
11 - Boy - A nice debut, but they were just rookies.
12 - October - Haven't listened to this one much at all.

Honest-- nice.. which is refreshing around here! I expect more.. they aren't allowed to let us down.. there's nobody left if they start putting out this kind of confused mess.. bummed!

I haven't listened to it in full since early March at the most recent. Nonetheless, there are some real crackers. Like MOS and Fez and stuff. Thinkin' middle tier.

Criminy, son! Sorry for being incorrect in life an' all.

That's okay-- we can't all be honest and not have Britney Spears like fanatic blinders for tatse.. he is sooo right.. wait six more months.. you won't even be lsitening to Magnificent aymore.. what a let down!

Well, I don't know exactly where I would rank it - but it's actually - by far - the album I'm listening to most at the moment :applaud:. I remember HTDAAB og ATYCLB 'died' very quickly .... So I guess it would be at the top three at the moment. But it's hard to say after this short period of time. After the tour, maybe after a year or so - I will be able to rank it ....:hmm:

My list:
1 - AB
2 - JT
3 - NLOTH
4 - TUF
5 - Zooropa
6 - Passengers
7 - POP
8 - R&H
9 - War
10 - ATYCLB
11 - HTDAAB
12 - Boy
13 - October

I, obviously, don't mirror the emotions of the forum much, but absolutely despised the last two records. I enjoy U2 when they are at their most experimental and emotional, which I feel is fairly well represented by the order of this list. I loved NLOTH when I first heard it, and maintain that appreciation now, albeit with lessened interest for "Stand Up" and "White as Snow", but that's not to say they kill the album. After reviewing JT and AB again, there's no way this album unseats those two, at least for me, but it sure serves as one hell of a compliment in my mind.

That's okay-- we can't all be honest and not have Britney Spears like fanatic blinders for tatse.. he is sooo right.. wait six more months.. you won't even be lsitening to Magnificent aymore.. what a let down!

Have you heard of the multiquote button yet? It's this nice little button next to the quote button, press it and it'll go red, that way you can put many many posts in one post. :wink:

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. HTDAAB
4. Boy
5. ATYCLB
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Pop
8. R&H
9. Zooropa
10. War
11. NLOTH
12. October

following the catchiness of nearly all the songs on HTDAAB, the new album just doesnt really do it for me, half is good half is bad, therefore NLOTH has a low spot in my opinion

I still listen to it on a daily basis and pretty much the whole way through (still hate SUC).

I would put it probably as #4, but will eventually be #3.

As much as I love it, it won't be AB or JT.

I don't rate albums. One day I prefer JT, next AB, a week later UF etc. All I can say is that NLOTH is definitely top 4 material to me.

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
Pop
Zooropa
The Unforgettable Fire
War
No Line on the Horizon
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October
Boy
Rattle and Hum
All That You Can't Leave Behind

Something like this would be at this stage. I like the new record, it has even shown some improvements as time passed (unlike the last two), but I don't count it as among their best. Not even close.

1. The Joshua Tree (I don't think this album will ever be topped for me)
2. Achtung Baby
3. ATYCLB/HTDAAB (this a tie for me)
4. NLOTH (its close to a 3 way tie with ATYCLB and HTDAAB right now)
5. Rattle and Hum
6. UF
7. Pop
8. Boy
9. War
10. Zooropa
11. October

You must be a joy in real life, always able to tell people their own opinions...

Back
Top Bottom