Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its still 2nd behind TJT. Its a solid album that doesn't get old for me. Just a pure masterpiece. Sure SUC and GOYB and even Fez and white as snow aren't 5 star studs they are all very solid tracks and they serve their respective purposes.

1. TJT
2. NLOTH
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Achtung Baby
5. HTDAAB
6. War
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. Boy
11. Pop
12. Rattle and Hum

Its still 2nd behind TJT. Its a solid album that doesn't get old for me. Just a pure masterpiece. Sure SUC and GOYB and even Fez and white as snow aren't 5 star studs they are all very solid tracks and they serve their respective purposes.

1. TJT
2. NLOTH
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Achtung Baby
5. HTDAAB
6. War
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. Boy
11. Pop
12. Rattle and Hum

Welcome to Interference :wave:

Things that I have noticed and thought worth mentioning:

*BOY is severely underappreciated in this community :angry:
*Never got the love for TUF. It has some fantastic songs, but doesn't quite gel - an interesting experiment that didn't achieve what should/ could have been.
*I'm happy to read that, overall, fans dig NLOTH :wink:

Now for my rankings...

1) Achtung, Baby!
2) The Joshua Tree
3) NLOTH
4) Boy (tie)
4) ATYCLB (tie)
6) Zooropa
7) War
8) POP
9) TUF
10) Rattle & Hum
11) HTDAAB
12) October

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Boy
3. Achtung Baby
4. No Line on the Horizon
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. War
10. Pop
11. Rattle and Hum
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

1.) Achtung Baby
2.) Joshua Tree
3.) NLOTH
4.) Zooropa
5.) Pop
6.) ATYCLB
7.) HTDAAB
8.) Unforgettable FIre
9.) War
10.) Boy
11.) Rattle & Hum
12.) October

(But if you count the DVD audio rip of the Slane Castle gig- that would be #1!)

1 - JT - A defining statement. If it's not in your top two, your list is incorrect.
2 - AB - See above.
3 - TUF - U2 wanted NLOTH to have the impact and scope of this album. Still sounds fresh, 25 years later.
4 - ATYCLB - An incredible achievement for a veteran band. Great, great songs all over it.
5 - Zooropa - Cool space rock in the middle of the grunge era.
6 - POP - Much better than remembered by the general public, not quite as good as this forum would lead you to believe.
7 - HTDAAB - Hit and miss for sure, but a highly enjoyable rock record. Vertigo!
8 - R&H - A jumbled mess, sure. But it also has Desire, Angel of Harlem and AIWIY on it.
9 - NLOTH - More hits and misses, ultimately an album of modest pleasures, not something you expect from a U2 album.
10 - War - A dated feel to it, but the classics make it an important record.
11 - Boy - A nice debut, but they were just rookies.
12 - October - Haven't listened to this one much at all.

To me, it has the competent, elder-craftsmen, 4-years-of-expensive-studio-bills flavor of the two preceding albums, but ATYCLB is more of a piece -- more emotional, more celebratory, more soulful -- and HTDAAB, while not very diverse, is much harder-hitting, with much better tunes and more rock'n'roll. NLOTH, by comparison, seems very diverse, but is a collection of stuff we've heard before, lyrically (especially) and musically, except it was more exciting the first time. The two tracks that seem quite new-ish are 'Moment of Surrender', which is all right but kind of boring, and 'Fez', which is interesting but would have been a late-80s B-side.

:yes:

1. achtung baby
2. the unforgettable fire
3. pop
4. passengers
5. no line on the horizon
6. zooropa
7. boy
8. the joshua tree
9. october
10. war
11. rattle and hum
12. how to dismantle an atomic bomb
13. all that you can't leave behind

Time to nitpick!

1 - JT - A defining statement. If it's not in your top two, your list is incorrect.
2 - AB - See above.

Oh come on. Maybe if you're writing a little lead-up to an article about Paul Hewson and George Clooney's intimacies, but we're on a U2 forum. We're fans, not journalists.

4 - ATYCLB - An incredible achievement for a veteran band. Great, great songs all over it.

Do you have the same copy of this album as I do? Only modest pleasures to be found here, to be sure? ;)

5 - Zooropa - Cool space rock in the middle of the grunge era.

That's fine...BUT DO THE SONGS MEASURE UP TO ANY TIME PERIOD?!?

7 - HTDAAB - Hit and miss for sure, but a highly enjoyable rock record. Vertigo!

Hutdab is rock? Since when? Here, let me try. Miracle Drug! Aw, it didn't work... :macdevil:

It's teh numbah four!

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. No Line On The Horizon!

:up:

1 Achtung Baby
2 The Joshua Tree

3 The Unforgettable Fire
4 Boy
5 NLOTH/Pop

6 Zooropa
7 Passengers
8 October
9 War
10 Rattle And Hum
11 ATYCLB
12 HTDAAB

NLOTH is rising up the ranks and I'll probably end up liking it more than Pop and possibly Boy.

I haven't listened to it in full since early March at the most recent. Nonetheless, there are some real crackers. Like MOS and Fez and stuff. Thinkin' middle tier.

2 - AB - See above.

Criminy, son! Sorry for being incorrect in life an' all.

1. No line on the horizon (still tops!) With Magnificent/Unknown caller/Breathe/White as snow and the titlesong belonging to their best songs ever
2. Achtung Baby ( Very colourful album with classics Until the end of the world/Zoo Station/Ultraviolet)
3. The unforgettable fire/War Titlesong TUF (one of their best songs ever)Drowning man and Seconds ( with a briliant Edge vocal)
4. Pop/Zooropa (Mofo, Last night on earth, GONE and Lemon!!!!!)
5. The Joshua tree (One tree hill, red hill mining town and In God's Country) and let's not forget the B-sides!!!)
6. All that you can't leave behind/How to dismanstle an atomic bomb (fine albums, not their best: I like: Kite, New York, When I look at the world, Miracle drug, City of bl. lights)
7. Boy (nice album but I don't listen to it very often)
8. October (why no more bagpipes like in the song Tomorrow!?)
9. Rattle and hum (too American, but Heartland and Hawkmoon are briliant!)
10. Passengers ( Of course Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room could be on their best of)

Time to nitpick!

Oh come on. Maybe if you're writing a little lead-up to an article about Paul Hewson and George Clooney's intimacies, but we're on a U2 forum. We're fans, not journalists.

Do you have the same copy of this album as I do? Only modest pleasures to be found here, to be sure? ;)

That's fine...BUT DO THE SONGS MEASURE UP TO ANY TIME PERIOD?!?

Hutdab is rock? Since when? Here, let me try. Miracle Drug! Aw, it didn't work... :macdevil:

RE: AB/JT - Um, OK, but still, it's the two albums with the best collection of songs on them. Completely from a fan standpoint, these are their high-water marks.

RE: ATYCLB - BD, Stuck, Walk On, Kite, IALW. Nothing modest about those songs.

RE: Zooropa - Ha, not sure what you mean here. But I love that Zooropa was so completely off the grid, especially when you realize what was going on on the radio around them at the time.

RE: HTDAAB - Sure, MD is a U2 anthem by the numbers, but I personally like U2 anthems, even calculated ones. Vertigo, COBL, ABOY, Crumbs, good rock songs to yours truly.

RE: HTDAAB - Sure, MD is a U2 anthem by the numbers, but I personally like U2 anthems, even calculated ones.

so how long until magnificent suffers the same backlash that MD did? magnificent is "u2 anthem by the numbers" as any song they have done on the last three albums.

so how long until magnificent suffers the same backlash that MD did? magnificent is "u2 anthem by the numbers" as any song they have done on the last three albums.

i don't think it will. i really don't. though i never really liked Miracle Drug.

01 Achtung Baby
02 Pop
03 TUF
04 Zooropa
05 Joshua Tree
06 Rattle & Hum
07 War
08 NLOTH
09 ATYCLB
10 Boy
11 October
12 HTDAAB

the Miracle Drug novelty wore off around here pretty quickly. It was the beach clip that had this place jizzing their pants. People loved it at first, but the backlash came around pretty quickly. Magnificent won't suffer that fate.

That said, I think Miracle Drug is a good song, but not quite great. It's missing something and I still can't figure out what. I think that song gets trashed around here way too much.

It's number seven for me. My list is incorrect? I'm lying? I actually enjoy TJT more than the five other albums that I am just claiming to find much more thematic depth and beauty in, lyrically, musically, and conceptually, than I think TJT could ever dream of having? Or is my definition of music wrong?

:huh:

It's number seven for me. My list is incorrect? I'm lying? I actually enjoy TJT more than the five other albums that I am just claiming to find much more thematic depth and beauty in, lyrically, musically, and conceptually, than I think TJT could ever dream of having? Or is my definition of music wrong?

:huh:

i feel your pain. i found out that my list was invalid this morning. what a disappointment. :sad:

Pretty high in the list. I don't know yet. All I know is that it's been a lonnnngggg while since I could listen to a U2 album so many times without getting bored and only skipping 2 songs!!!
It is great quality, the best album since Pop without any doubts, better than Zooropa, October and R&H.

My list could be:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
4. NLOTH
5. TUF
6. War
7. POP
8. R&H
9. October
10. Zooropa
11. HTDAAB