Responding to the haters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hikerdeb

The Fly
I've been a member of Interference for a number of years but I've been away for a while. Now the new album has me all fired up about U2 again, and I wrote an editorial about it at the newspaper where I work. Here it is:
Deb’s column – Oct. 30, 2014

It’s all about the music

I usually don’t have much sympathy for people who are extremely rich and famous. But when someone has been wrongly accused, I feel obligated to speak up in their defense.
So let me say this: It’s time to stop berating U2.
I’m referring, of course, to the “download debacle.” On Sept. 9, when Apple held one of its big media events to launch the new iPhone 6, CEO Tim Cook surprised everyone by announcing that all 500 million iTunes users would be getting a free digital copy of U2’s new album, Songs of Innocence.
This seemed like a brilliant strategy, given the longtime partnership between Apple and U2. In 2004, the company introduced its iPod through iconic commercials that featured people dancing in silhouette as they listened to their iPods. One of those dancers was U2 lead singer Bono, playing the band’s new single, “Vertigo.”
The collaboration was mutually beneficial. “Vertigo” was a huge hit, and the iPod sold like hotcakes.
This time, however, it wasn’t quite a marriage made in heaven. The whole thing turned into a PR nightmare, thanks to an enormous tactical blunder.
According to the members of U2, Apple execs told them that the album would be “in the cloud.” In other words, iTunes users would be asked. “Hey, would you like to listen to this? It’s free!” If they clicked yes, it would download to their account.
But for people with iPhones and other mobile devices, the album automatically downloaded, taking up valuable storage space. This set off such a flurry of rage and ridicule that Apple had to quickly create a fix so people could remove the unwanted album.
Throughout all the media coverage of this embarrassment, nobody was talking about what mattered to me: U2 hadn’t released a studio album in almost six years. What was the music like? Was it any good?
It took a while for me to find out, because I don’t download. In order to send files electronically, they have to be compressed, which degrades the quality of the music.
And having grown up with vinyl records, I still want a physical object I can hold in my hands. I want the artwork, the liner notes, the production credits, the lyrics.
The CD edition of Songs of Innocence was released on Oct. 14. When I finally listened to the album 10 days later, I was relieved to find it contained everything I hoped for: the catchy songs that make it impossible not to sing and dance; the emotional songs that grab your heart and rip it out of your chest; and the transcendental songs that make you feel as if your consciousness has separated from your body and levitated to a higher plain.
I realize how crazy that sounds, but many people have described similar reactions to U2’s music. That’s why 7.2 million of them showed up for the band’s last tour – by far the highest attendance of any tour in music history.
The best news for me is that there is more to come. Songs of Innocence is what used to be known as concept album, with all of the tracks related to a central theme. In this case, it’s about the band members growing up on the bleak north side of Dublin during the 1970s, when Ireland was still mired in “the troubles.”
Bono says the next album will be a sequel called Songs of Experience. But I’m in no hurry for that one. I’m having too much fun with the current release, which is perhaps U2’s most cohesive album since 1983’s War.
As for all the whiners who complained about their “free gift” without bothering to listen to it – that’s their loss, not mine.
:wave:

Yeah, I mean, I basically just try to ignore "haters" in general. No matter what I like, whether it's music, sports teams, political party, even which smartphone I use, there's going to be people who have the opposite opinion. The less attention you give them the better off you'll be.

As I said, I haven't been on the website in a long time, so I have not yet had the opportunity to read all the comments on that issue.

I created a new thread because I didn't know where else to post this editorial. It was written for a general audience, not for U2 fans. I just thought someone might want to read it. Obviously, you are among those who do NOT want to read it. (Kind of like getting a downloaded album that you didn't ask for...)

It's not worth it. Especially online. It's easy to be that person, the one that comes to the band's defense, when your facebook feed has something U2 related pop up and you scroll the comments and most comments are "U2 suck, I hate Bono, tax cheats, etc."

Good article by the way :up:. I think back on all of the years I loved this band and for the most part they have always been hated I think for one weekend in 1987 they were cool to like. Starting with War the haters said they can't play their instruments good enough, Edge is overrated and Bono is a blowhard. For TUF, they were playing against the likes of Ratt, Non Jovi,Cinderella. U2 was the band the "preppies" liked,Edge still was overrated and Bono was REALLY becoming blowhard. Then TJT was released and for one shining moment they were universally loved. R&H took all of that out, I remember the venom that was spoutted at them.... Fast forward to now and I think it's more of athing that people hate the top shelf, like Yankees, Cowboys and Man. U. They are easy targets and it's the right thing if your "hip" to h ate them.

But I digress, I actually now get some happiness from each and every negative thing spoutted about them, I can't place why this is but I say bring it. I could give 2 shits about what someone from Pitchfork has to say.... hell, I still like Rush, Led Zep and was a huge fan of Metallica why why back, that should prove how unhip I am.

I could give 2 shits about what someone from Pitchfork has to say.... hell, I still like Rush, Led Zep...that should prove how unhip I am.

:up: You're still hip in my book brother.

As for me? So what if I like to unwind at the end of the day with a long bubble bath with scented candles and Enya on the stereo. Haters gonna hate.

Just show them this chart

Music-1-620x346.jpg

It'll probably be a decent burn, assuming they can read

I've been a member of Interference for a number of years but I've been away for a while. Now the new album has me all fired up about U2 again, and I wrote an editorial about it at the newspaper where I work. Here it is:
Deb’s column – Oct. 30, 2014

It’s all about the music

...//...

As for all the whiners who complained about their “free gift” without
bothering to listen to it – that’s their loss, not mine.
:wave:

:applaud: Fantastic review and newspaper article!
Thank you for sharing.

Two of my favorite bands have lead singers most people despise. Wayne Coyne and Bono.

How in the world could anyone despise Wayne Coyne? The guy is pretty well respected here, in his hometown, even if some of his positions go against the grain of the establishment. Most older people either accept it or look the other way, most younger people relish in that.

He seems to have hit a midlife crisis and become a massive asshole. He's been in the social media news quite a bit the last few years, very little of it good.

When I first started hearing about them, he seemed like a great, down-to-earth guy. I do not have that opinion of him anymore.

People hate Bono because they think him sanctimonious and pretentious. If they only had ears. "it's hard to listen while you preach" What I have figured out is some people hate Bono because they hate. It really doesn't make sense to post on a music website that gives U2 stars and you read about them and say yes this is my destiny...to post about U2
negatively as I can. U2 you did great once again. If you aren't appreciated well we have been through that before.

We'll respond U2 style -

I’ve seen for myself
There’s no end to grief
That’s how I know

That’s how I know
And why I need to know that there is no end to love
All I know and all I need to know is there is no end to love

:heart:

Back
Top Bottom