Release Date Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
So is November 2012 or February 2013 a likely release window?

Items to consider:
1. February 2013 would mark 4 years from last album.
2. They have a whole other album (Songs of Ascent) of songs
3. They have new songs they played on the tour.
4. There's the Danger Mouse sessions they have been working on.
5. The dance album with producers Red, etc.
6. Spider-Man is finally out of the way.
7. Various reports of work commencing at Dublin studio by Dallas.
8. Rumors of work with a pop songwriter.
10. Bono posts Israeli poet lyrics at hotel (new album's direction ;) )
9. The new June 2013 beach clips released in the future (speculating)

Seems like a lot of build up of material. Am I missing anything?

no, definitely not a likely scenario whatsoever. we're lucky to get it in late 2013 assuming NLOTH wasn't the band's final album.

I don't think either, unfortunately. Not february/spring 2013 because i hear that's bad for sales (apparently autumn/right before christmas is best).
And not 2012 because i don't think enough time will have elapsed for a subsequent tour (especially given 360 lasted 2 years, went to so many places, and actually visited some areas twice), meaning even if they have the material/time to release an album this year, they'll still want to wait.

So, i think that leaves autumn 2013 as the most likely option. Oh well, maybe they'll release a standalone single at the end of this year, to maintain interest (although i think even that is unlikely, as i believe whatever comes next from them, they'll want it to be the 'big comeback' to NLOTH).

I hope they'll be touring on july/august 2013, because I'd spend my honeymoon in some place they play:love: but this never will happen, I'm losing all my hopes in them :sad:

Autumn 2013 is what I'd put money on, whether its DM, RedOne, or both. Look for a Pop remaster late this year and/or possibly a Best Of 2001 - 2010 compilation, featuring one or two "new" songs.

Autumn 2013 is what I'd put money on, whether its DM, RedOne, or both. Look for a Pop remaster late this year and/or possibly a Best Of 2001 - 2010 compilation, featuring one or two "new" songs.

the same for me!

Fall 2013.

If we hear about anything coming out fall 2012, I'll be looking online for confirmation that hell has, indeed, frozen over.

While I'm not going to hold my breath, I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if they zing us with a spring 2013 release.

And not 2012 because i don't think enough time will have elapsed for a subsequent tour (especially given 360 lasted 2 years, went to so many places, and actually visited some areas twice), meaning even if they have the material/time to release an album this year, they'll still want to wait.

Just my opinion, but a band waiting years and years to release an album because their last tour dragged on too long is a sign of creative stagnation. If U2 seeks to be a relevant act, they need to release new material, and frequently. Prioritizing touring over album releases is something you do when you run out of ideas. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if they only did 1-2 leg tours from now on, in spurts (even if that meant I would never get to see them), just as long as new material rolls out.

I still hope for Fall 2012, but I know that won't be the case.

'Club' album in fall/winter 2012. DM 'rock' album in summer 2013 to coincide with world tour. SOA as download/ part of new two disc NLOTH set in winter 2013. Unfortunately, all this will be happening in an alternate universe. Our universe - fall 2013 at the very, very earliest.

i don't see why autumn 2012 isn't a possibility? i thought rumour had it they were pretty close to wrapping up last year but Spider-Man got in the way?

I just don't believe anything is close to done. Maybe SoA was done, but it doesn't seem like the band is interested in releasing it anymore, because it won't have Lots of Relevant Hits or whatever.

This band seems to fret and waffle an awful lot for something to come out this year. Unless they're going to go all release ninja with it and keep it mum until very close to the date, but I just don't believe that's going to happen.

And I'm sure someone can (and will) come along and pull out umpteen quotes from the band about how I'm probably wrong, but it's all just blathering to me at this point. I'll believe nothing until there's actually a release date.

The gap between HTDAAB and NLOTH was 5 years, the longest period between albums throughout the band's history.

I think they are going to wait at least 4 years with a maximum of 5 years from now. Which will make an album release between 2013 and 2014 very likely.

You guys didn't get your copies from U2.com yet? Man the opening track is awesome. Something about streets with no name. So happy that U2.com finally got their act together. This could be the first of many great albums to come.

i don't see why autumn 2012 isn't a possibility? i thought rumour had it they were pretty close to wrapping up last year but Spider-Man got in the way?

I'll let you in on a secret: Everyone here secretly hopes for Fall 2012... but we've all been hurt and don't want to let them break our hearts again. Thus the loud declarations of "2013 AT THE SOONEST!!!!!!!" It's just our way of protecting ourselves, of dumping them before they dump us, of quitting before we get fired.

Summer 2012 album (Danger Mouse).
Fall 2012 album/EP(SOA).
Album fall 2013, for which they will tour.

This unpopular opinion has been couriered to you from Hollow Island.

The gap between HTDAAB and NLOTH was 5 years, the longest period between albums throughout the band's history.

I think they are going to wait at least 4 years with a maximum of 5 years from now. Which will make an album release between 2013 and 2014 very likely.

If we're going to be rounding numbers, it's closer to 4 years between Bomb and Line, and both albums were delayed by six months to a year.

Their "new album" was supposed to come out last spring (wasn't that the firmest date?), and we're a year later so given their habit of spending a year (or three) longer than they intend there should be one soon...or in 2015.

If we're going to be rounding numbers, it's closer to 4 years between Bomb and Line, and both albums were delayed by six months to a year.

Their "new album" was supposed to come out last spring (wasn't that the firmest date?), and we're a year later so given their habit of spending a year (or three) longer than they intend there should be one soon...or in 2015.

Well, they did announce SOA for fall 2009....

4th quarter 2013. I'd bet all I have on that.

If nothing else, it just makes sense from a touring aspect. 360 tour only ended 10 months ago, in July 2011. Which would make 2014-15 the next likeley time for a tour to take place. Since they won't tour without an album, and won't release an album without a tour, this is probably what is going to happen.

Well, they did announce SOA for fall 2009....

Yeah, I'm thinking about non SOA albums though. Mainly the Danger Mouse one.

@Acrobat: they released Passengers without touring. And even though they've never released a "U2" album without touring, they could always change their minds, particularly if they release more than one album.

I'll let you in on a secret: Everyone here secretly hopes for Fall 2012... but we've all been hurt and don't want to let them break our hearts again. Thus the loud declarations of "2013 AT THE SOONEST!!!!!!!" It's just our way of protecting ourselves, of dumping them before they dump us, of quitting before we get fired.

heh i knew it! :D

Just my opinion, but a band waiting years and years to release an album because their last tour dragged on too long is a sign of creative stagnation. If U2 seeks to be a relevant act, they need to release new material, and frequently. Prioritizing touring over album releases is something you do when you run out of ideas. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if they only did 1-2 leg tours from now on, in spurts (even if that meant I would never get to see them), just as long as new material rolls out.

I completely agree with you, but i think they really are working with the mindset of touring. It's possible they could do something new, but i'm fairly certain they'll stick to the 'album -> big tour' system as always.

I really doubt they'd release an album without touring it (it probably helps album sales, and probably helps them think they're 'relevant' by selling lots of tickets).
And i also doubt they'd tour so soon after 360 - i think they'd be afraid of not selling enough seats, because there won't be enough demand. It could be (for them) a repeat of popmart, just like NLOTH was a repeat of Pop. And given their desire for relevance, having a tour flop is probably something they'd be terrified of.
Although having said that, they had mentioned the next tour being arenas only, so maybe with limited seats, there'd be more demand...

Ok, if they did a more intimate tour, then i could see 2012 as a possibility. But given we've heard virtually nothing from them, there isn't really a strong indication of an album soon. That is unless they're planning to quietly work and release something (which is again possible considering how they approached that mid-tour album, and how they've been this year in the studio)
... but considering their track record of 4-ish years between records, and always delaying everything, i'm gonna lean towards 2013.

The fact that Danger Mouse's album could have been released last year makes me think we will get something by the end of this year. Also Danger Mouse is so reluctant to talk to interviewers about the new album and admonishes Bono for doing so we may get a surprise. :fingerscrossed:

The fact that Danger Mouse's album could have been released last year makes me think we will get something by the end of this year. Also Danger Mouse is so reluctant to talk to interviewers about the new album and admonishes Bono for doing so we may get a surprise. :fingerscrossed:

There is logic here.

I say they can put an album out now whenever they want. They thought they were almost ready 3 years ago and every 6 months since. It's not a question of not having the material. It's ready. They just have to choose the timing that they want. If they want a 2012 album there will be one. If they really want a break, it will wait until fall 2013. It's a choice.

November 2012 - U2 The Ultimate Collection (3 disk set with 35 "best of" tracks over 2 CDs plus a rarities CD with b-sides and recently completed demos). May include a new track.

July 2013 - Zooropa 20th Anniversary edition (2 CD + 1 DVD)

November 2013 - New album

I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if we got something this year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's Fall '13. We'll know a lot more at the end of July. #captainobvious

But I do think we'll get something this year. If we don't get a new album, maybe we'll get a remastered Pop for the fall, 15h anny and all. And if we don't get that, maybe we'll get a Best of 2000-2010, with some of the new songs (North Star, Mercy, maybe Every Breaking Wave?) to fluff it out a bit.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure the band are thinking about their "legacy", being compared favourably to the beatles, stones, who etc etc. For me though, it's their albumd and not their tours that they will be remembered for and judged on(ZOO TV being the exception to the rule maybe.).
It's such a shame that they don't release more material, this should be one of the most interesting parts of their career.
I'd love to think they could could release an album in the autumn this year but my head tells me it will be autumn 2013, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom