Release Date Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because if a band, no matter how good they are, releases the same type of stuff over and over again, the public will eventually get bored.
(i actually don't think magnificent is u2-by-the-numbers, but regardless, if they never tried to challenge themselves and develop their style over time, i think it would probably be pretty unfulfilling both for the band and most of their fans. But that's just me, one of my favourite aspects of u2 is how they can change it up, like going from rattle and hum to achtung baby.)

Well, I do like bands that tend to change it up a bit too. But some bands like AC/DC do pretty well for themselves with singles that sound similar too, so I doubt that plays much of a role in it. And a good song is a good song. Besides, I still have to deal with people on other forums who say everything U2 releases "sounds the same". Apparently, they've never played War and Zooropa back-to-back! :lol:

I agree, a good song is a good song... but if u2 had only made joshua tree-type albums after 1987, think of all we'd have missed out on!

I was actually going to mention ac/dc - they might have a limited range, but they're spectacular at what they do. I don't actually know how their last album did, but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do well because it was 'more of the same' (besides, didn't their biggest hits come out decades ago?), much as i'm certain that if u2 released 'with or without you' clones since the 80's, their popularity (or at least relevance) would have faded pretty quickly.

And oh god, i hate it when people say u2's stuff all sounds the same. Anyone who listens to Streets and then mysterious ways and says they're identical is crazy :crack: I think Edge could prevent that kind of perception from being too common if he ditches the chimes of magnificent and crazy tonight, and looked for something new (which is what they've hinted at in their latest interviews)!

I think the problem with Magnificent being "U2-by-the-numbers" isn't that it's familiar. It's that U2 was touting this record as experimental and they pulled away from that musically by the time of release.

To be fair, magnificent does sound very different to vertigo and all because of you. They went from a 'classic rock' kind of thing to atmospheric-dance.

Larry: "The album is coming out this year..."

Nope.

"...the next year..."

Nope.

"...or the year after."

Nope.

What's funny is that it takes Larry being pissed at something Bono said in order to inspire him to dominate an interview! He should get pissed more often.

I love Larry's shirt. Love it. I want it.

I also love how he uses the Super Bowl appearance to illustrate his point that they were busy between Bomb and NLOTH.

I also love how he uses the Super Bowl appearance to illustrate his point that they were busy between Bomb and NLOTH.

Clearly they were working on NLOTH in 2002, and the logistics involved with playing one night at the Super Bowl put the album off until 2009. I don't pretend to understand the music biz....

I really wish that if they really don't intend on releasing SOA they should just release it to fanclub members, or do a Radiohead type release. Get it out there in the hands of fans, but make it clear to everyone that it's not the next "official" U2 album.

Clearly they were working on NLOTH in 2002, and the logistics involved with playing one night at the Super Bowl put the album off until 2009. I don't pretend to understand the music biz....

I feel like Larry must have just been mistaken, since that was pre-Bomb that they did the Superbowl. I always took this interview to mean the Superdome performance with Green Day when they did Saints, shortly after the Rubin sessions, but who knows.:shrug: Regardless, your point about the logistics of it being one night still stands. I'd have no idea the prep work involved, though for them to have to rehearse with Green Day (especially with Edge learning 'Wake Me Up...') might take a bit more time than, say, the Super Bowl show, where they knew their songs and just had to get their staging down.

I would guess that if we get to the end of July -- or August at the latest -- with no sign of activity, then we'll have to wait until Fall 2013. I would be surprised if they tried to release an album in the spring again, unless they were releasing multiple albums in a shorter time span, which would really surprise me. It would be so nice if there was an album out this fall and then another one sometime next year with a tour in 2014.

I would guess that if we get to the end of July -- or August at the latest -- with no sign of activity, then we'll have to wait until Fall 2013. I would be surprised if they tried to release an album in the spring again, unless they were releasing multiple albums in a shorter time span, which would really surprise me. It would be so nice if there was an album out this fall and then another one sometime next year with a tour in 2014.

:up:

Magnificent was a single. It didn't exactly achieve orbit.

Except it wasn't a *lead single with the extra publicity push and airplay a lead single would get.

After Boots public would likely not care if the next single would be U2's best song of all time. It was too late by then.

Yeah, The Fly pretty much bombed in the US (only reached #50). They followed it with MW and had a big hit. Magnificent as a single was weaksauce. It failed to reverse the fortunes of NLOTH. Pinning everything on Boots is over-simplifying things.

1991 is certainly a lot different than 2009 though, especially in terms of the radio industry. Heck, even back in 2004, Vertigo had a lot of a better push come via the ipod commercial than it ever got on radio. Can anyone shed light on that if I'm wrong?

Fuck it, i'm gonna start looking at it like this:

It's basically only a year until the next album! :D

Actually, maybe i should only say that from october...

It was a little easier to have a hit non-lead single in 1991 for a rock band compared to 2009. And certainly easier to have a hit for U2 in that time.

Nah. If U2 released the right song tomorrow, people would notice. Magnificent is a good song, but it was nothing new for U2. It had it's chance and didn't grab the public, sadly.

I don't think U2 have the right song anymore. It's a miracle they did it with BD and especially Vertigo. Not many 50 year old rock bands have hits, and there's a reason : they're OLD.

I don't think U2 have the right song anymore. It's a miracle they did it with BD and especially Vertigo. Not many 50 year old rock bands have hits, and there's a reason : they're OLD.

Blah blah blah. U2 will have plenty of hits over the course of the next decade. Just because they got treated a little more harshly than they deserved with NLOTH doesn't mean the party is over. We're talking about the best band of the last 30 years. They have all the talent and fire needed to write a song which forces the world to take notice.

Cant beleive Boots always gets the blame,this is an album that had crazy tonight as a single!

IGCIIDGCT is a great song. But again, it wasn't new sonic territory for the band. It continued the narrative GOYB and Mag set up. I would have also released it as the third single if I were them, but it was far far far too late by then.

Niceman said:
Blah blah blah. U2 will have plenty of hits over the course of the next decade. Just because they got treated a little more harshly than they deserved with NLOTH doesn't mean the party is over. We're talking about the best band of the last 30 years. They have all the talent and fire needed to write a song which forces the world to take notice.

I love your optimism. :up: I mean that. It's a little breath of fresh air in these doom and gloom threads.

Back
Top Bottom