Regine Moylett - RMP - Last Scoop I promise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I especially love the binary code metaphor.

I believe it to be a sexual/phallic reference.
:up:

BL|Uad\ihdldLDlLFLflfTJAGTEHTHTAUFduDUDud
ahfyhUDHUhduhudhuHDUhdurhgeyfr&aga*rffaxc h#($@rt
HAD**dDHoldh

Sorry, but I had to get it out of my system....
Those are my deepest thoughts on this thread.

Dreadful reviews and a terrible drubbing in the press yes.

Not quite. Revionist reviews are usually pretty bad, but initially, they were absolutely glowing,

e.g.

"What we can say immediately is that Pop sounds absolutely magnificent. With Pop, they've defied the odds and made some of the greatest music of their lives." - Rolling Stone, 1997

But then that was back when people actually read Rolling Stone.

I think we past the "very badly" period a few threads ago...

The real GOYB video would help tide us over till the Grammys, followed by the real reviews...

this video thing really is a mess at this point.

ok, so I've heard it lucky me... What else can I tell you?

For starters, I would like to hear it again + the more I recall the songs the more I feel the album is Zooropas older brother. Same kind of experimentation but with more muscle and directness.

Also similar to UF in that it shimmers in places and sounds vast and open.

Also similar to JT with Bonos vocals being so direct and effortless. Like a soaring bird.

Also similar to AB with some of the post modern lyrics, heavier guitar lines and dark finish.

Similar to Boy in that there is a wide eyed wonder and an almost childlike fascnation with all things big and shiny yet with raw undertones.

Not similar to pop.

Not similar to October.

Not similar to war.

Not similar to ATYCLB.

Not similar to HTDAAB.

Oh, similar to passengers with some syrupy synth work.

After only one listen, I think it is still part of a trilogy of albums, but with hints of the nxt triolgy. A metaphor for no line on the horizon because the album is an end, but also a beginning.

ok, so I've heard it lucky me... What else can I tell you?

For starters, I would like to hear it again + the more I recall the songs the more I feel the album is Zooropas older brother. Same kind of experimentation but with more muscle and directness.

Also similar to UF in that it shimmers in places and sounds vast and open.

Also similar to JT with Bonos vocals being so direct and effortless. Like a soaring bird.

Also similar to AB with some of the post modern lyrics, heavier guitar lines and dark finish.

Similar to Boy in that there is a wide eyed wonder and an almost childlike fascnation with all things big and shiny yet with raw undertones.

Not similar to pop.

Not similar to October.

Not similar to war.

Not similar to ATYCLB.

Not similar to HTDAAB.

Oh, similar to passengers with some syrupy synth work.

After only one listen, I think it is still part of a trilogy of albums, but with hints of the nxt triolgy. A metaphor for no line on the horizon because the album is an end, but also a beginning.

looking back, which song (or songs) stick with you the most?

Not quite. Revionist reviews are usually pretty bad, but initially, they were absolutely glowing,

e.g.

"What we can say immediately is that Pop sounds absolutely magnificent. With Pop, they've defied the odds and made some of the greatest music of their lives." - Rolling Stone, 1997

But then that was back when people actually read Rolling Stone.

Yes, and no. The old reliables ie RS and Q gave it great reviews--initially.
I remember that the first round of critics given access to the album were positive but when the reviews started coming in from smaller publications and the general press they were mixed at best. In particular I remember a day when the Canadian press reviewed Pop. Negative across the boards. Best review was something in the three stars (out of five) territory. I remember being bewildered as to why Canada hated
U2. :laugh:
At the time U2 had a tremendous amount of influence in the major music media. (Not to mention a lot of friends there).
They were given the benefit of the doubt by those publications.
Go back and look at the newspaper reviews and again, the smaller publications. Very negative.
And it did snowball from there. A lot of publications that gave Pop good reviews started printing snide remarks as 1997 progressed. And then the tour opened and U2 were flat for the first 15-20 gigs. It just got worse from there.
I smell history repeating itself. U2 make a daring (I hope) new album that challenges peoples perceptions of what U2 should sound like today.
Then they launch a Stadium only tour in an uncertain financial market.
The potential for disaster is very real. I remember reports of PopMart stadium shows in the U2 with 45,000 tickets sold being called failures because they were 55,000 seat stadiums.

Oh, and Regine Moylett shuld be fired if what you've posted is true.
Gossipping about the possible failure of your as yet unreleased superstar bands album in the Internet era is just stupid. Rumor becomes reality. Very stupid of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom