Red Flag Day Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not one of my favourites, but it's grown since my first listen. The guitar and bass are great, and I love Edge's backing vocals in the chorus ("Red flag daaaaaayy"). I think it's because it's sandwiched between the perhaps more unconventional (for U2) Summer of Love and The Showman that I don't get as much of an impression from it. Good song though, just not a standout.

Unbelievable song - so much energy and life to it. One of my favorites. I wish it could become a huge hit, but, sadly, won't because of the baggage and age of the band.

What band at this late stage is making music like this?

Just an incredible song. The first 10 seconds or so, I was like, uuuuuuhhhhh, is this the right song??? Then, ooooooohhhh, yeah, that's it. And from there it just keeps getting better and better. More vocal and instrument layers, culminating in the NO, NO, NOOOOOOOO part at 2:30 which... I'm gonna be honest, brought a little swelling of tear to my eye when i heard it the first time. Not because it is an emotional lyric,
but the song was so good, that part in particular hit me. Just appreciative of how good it was

We've been sitting and anticipating this album for so long. Not knowing if it was going to be good or bad or blah or great, or whatever.

And they give us THIS. One of my favorite albums of their career, with songs like this.

This is a perfectly crafted song from start to finish. Nothing forced here. It’s simply perfect.

Just an incredible song. The first 10 seconds or so, I was like, uuuuuuhhhhh, is this the right song??? Then, ooooooohhhh, yeah, that's it. And from there it just keeps getting better and better. More vocal and instrument layers, culminating in the NO, NO, NOOOOOOOO part at 2:30 which... I'm gonna be honest, brought a little swelling of tear to my eye when i heard it the first time. Not because it is an emotional lyric,
but the song was so good, that part in particular hit me. Just appreciative of how good it was

We've been sitting and anticipating this album for so long. Not knowing if it was going to be good or bad or blah or great, or whatever.

And they give us THIS. One of my favorite albums of their career, with songs like this.

:up:

How good does Bono sound on this song? His voice is incredible.

I think my favorite thing about this song is how light on its feet it is. It sounds positively breezy, but powerful at the same time.

On first listen I did not give the song it's due credit. Part of that was wanting to hear what was next. Ever hopeful Looking for that instant thrill of a first listen that slaps a smile across your face. After a few slapped smiles later, RFD was the first song I felt compelled to come back to. As if my subconscious dog eared it knowing there was something there I over looked. Not before too long the song was an ear worm stuck in my head. :up:

For me that is what I like about u2. Songs can resonate after more listens.

they release a single in the summer and it's not this
what's wrong with this band - this is a perfect single!

Little late to the party but on first listen this is my favourite. Very reminiscent of UF JT era. Great single potential.

Wow...when i listen to this song is like when i was listening to the first U2 albums, back in the 80's... :drool:

Infectious beyond belief, so catchy and upbeat. It should be a lot of fun live too. I like Edge's backup vocals a lot, they have a War-era feeling to them a la Sunday Bloody Sunday.

This is such a good song. You guys ever heard of a band called Bad Suns? Instantly reminded me of them. California indie pop/rock. The post-chorus breakdown is soooo good.

I've seen "red letter day" (as in, I am noting my scheduled cycle start date in red on my calendar), but never "red flag day" for that.

Back
Top Bottom