Red Flag Day Appreciation Thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:47 AM
The biggest spine tingle moment on the album comes in this song, with that sweet, sweet bridge. High point of the album

Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane L View Post
THIS is the band I fell in love with in the early '80's. It never leaves my mind these days--a very pleasant earworm, to be sure!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Hi, DL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
For me, this was one of the album’s biggest surprises. Bono’s vocals are really good, especially during the chorus. The rest of the band sounds fucking great on this one, it’s almost like they had recorded it a long time ago. Should be a rocker live, hope they give it a shot.
While most of the songs hit me right off, and have stayed in their various good to sublime categories, this one had to grow on me.

First few listens I thought much of it's production was ? too "thin" (but not in an intentional sparse way). And that reminded me of Boy which I was not very impressed with except for
IWF & OOC which I absolutely loved!

I did keep listening to it, got past that negative feeling; realized Adam's bass was just popping (!), and Edge's "red flag daaay" echo in the chorus was very War sounding and really enjoy it now.
(War was the first of their albums where I really liked to loved almost all the songs [unlike Oct, as well]).

I can imagine the crowd jumping, dancing while singing the chorus line!

dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #108
War Child

"I can feel your body shaking" = fear or hypothermia?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 AM
How sad is it that this thread only has 8 pages, but the one for Get Out is up to 39?

Makes me ashamed to be part of this community, honestly.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

:eyeroll:
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
How sad is it that this thread only has 8 pages, but the one for Get Out is up to 39?

I was surprised to see so little talk too, but it's probably more to do with the fact that most are on board with this tune..

GOOYOW is a little more divisive, and the single.. so, chalk it up to that

Back to Red Flag Day - nice to hear something a little more uptempo from the band. Bring some damned urgency to the mix.
Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This song seems to be the big grower for me.... I really like this song.
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #113
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Yeah... Red Flag Day doesn t need to be talked about since it s almost perfection.
Get out is so bad that we need to talk.... it s like going To a shrink.
Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #114
Refugee

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Ok I have something to say about Red Flag Day...
After many listens I'm sick of that bass line. The line itself is great, one of Adam's best is ages. But it's overused. All through the verses, through the break/musical bit, the outro, it's just omnipresent.
Added to that the chorus chord pattern is the same as the verses i think. It all just feels a bit... samey.
The bridge is great and breaks it up but then... back to the same.
It's an admittedly fussy thing to complain about - too much of a good thing - but I often skip the song now, wishing it had just a bit more variety to it.
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #115
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Ok I have something to say about Red Flag Day...
After many listens I'm sick of that bass line. The line itself is great, one of Adam's best is ages. But it's overused. All through the verses, through the break/musical bit, the outro, it's just omnipresent.
Added to that the chorus chord pattern is the same as the verses i think. It all just feels a bit... samey.
The bridge is great and breaks it up but then... back to the same.
It's an admittedly fussy thing to complain about - too much of a good thing - but I often skip the song now, wishing it had just a bit more variety to it.
I'm glad I'm not alone with this opinion! I've never been a big fan of U2's War style "funk," Though I can tolerate it for the most part on Red Flag Day.

Overall, I do enjoy Bono's vocals in particular- he sounds amazing and has a great melody throughout the song.

I'm opposite of most on this site as I find Red Flag Day to be one of the weaker tracks on the very strong Songs of Experience. I don't dislike it, but it frustratingly does not go to the "next level." The first couple of verses and choruses are great, then the breakdown with Bono's incredible "No, No NOOOOO" vocals along with the band building up behind him feels like the song is about to explode, but then instead of continuing the build it drops back down to that funky bassline and guitar riff. For whatever reason, the best example I can thing of is The Strokes "Welcome to Japan." It has a funky bass and riff throughout the song, but instead of going out with a whimper like Red Flag Day.
ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #116
The Fly

Red Flag Day is both catchy and great! I understand the criticism about the repetitive nature of the song; however, it is a three-minute pop song. If the song went on for another minute or so, then I believe it would become problematic.

On the other hand, another good three-minute pop song, Summer of Love, while having a cool guitar riff, can get pretty annoying. This song and American Soul are the only two that I cannot listen to on repeat. I believe the guitar riff and the rhyming scheme employed, "freezing, leaving, believing" can be too repetitive and cause listener fatigue. Someone needs to remind Bono that everything does not have to rhyme and space in the music does not always have to be filled up with words.
AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #117
War Child

I could see this song following The Blackout as songs 1 and 2 on the tour.
U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #118
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:47 PM
This seems to be the song that survived the Police influences that Bono had referenced in an interview awhile back. Love the War nod with Adams bass but it also seems like a missed opportunity production wise to further focus in on the influence.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #119
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Anybody else think the next single should be a double A side of red flag day and summer of love?
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We've been under wildfire warnings lately and I keep hearing "Today is a Red Flag Day" on the news, so of course I immediately think of this song and then have it stuck in my head. Baby don't start a fire!

Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote