Red Flag Day Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

I haven't posted in a long time, but after listening to SOE nearly five times through (my required amount before I have opinions) I needed to check my sanity. Definitely hear modern WAR influences.

AND, Bono looks thin ☘️?

For me, this was one of the album’s biggest surprises. Bono’s vocals are really good, especially during the chorus. The rest of the band sounds fucking great on this one, it’s almost like they had recorded it a long time ago. Should be a rocker live, hope they give it a shot.

Not sure why in many of the official reviews I've read, this song is just glossed over or not mentioned at all...it truly has THE MOST single potential of the remaining songs on the album that haven't been released as singles yet. It is a true "pop" song but it has such a young, vibrant sound to it. PLEASE, release this as the next single.

I think it's definitely in the top 3 and I absolutely here the modern-old-album-influences on it. So good.

This, The Blackout, Summer Love all revolve around the top 3 spots for me.

The Showman and Landlady bang about at the 4 and 5 positions.

In the Spotify videos for the album they DO make a point of talking about Red Flag Day...maybe it WILL BE the next single (maybe performed at the Grammy's)?? Here's hoping...I'm just hoping Bono does not bring that megaphone to the Grammy's :huh:

Morning of the Grammys:

Bono: “Where the fuck is my megaphone? And my glasses, anyone seen my glasses?”

Everyone in the room avoids eye contact, whistles, as the smell of burning plastic comes from the fireplace...

In the Spotify videos for the album they DO make a point of talking about Red Flag Day...maybe it WILL BE the next single (maybe performed at the Grammy's)?? Here's hoping...I'm just hoping Bono does not bring that megaphone to the Grammy's :huh:

This song is going to killer live...

It's a great song on the album but it's going to have amazing energy live.

It absolutely should be the next single.

I've been between this and Showman for a while now, but I think this is the better bet. More crossover appeal. Extremely young, modern sound while somehow authentically capturing the energy of the early 1980s that many fans have missed. It also has familiar early U2 themes- the political and personal intertwined. Much like say, NYD or Pride, you can hear the stories of the people and events that inspired these songs, yet they can be applied to many personal situations we all face.

Of course, it's about the refugee crisis and the troubles faced by these poor souls in this political climate. However, phrases like"baby it's a red flag day, baby lets get in the water...." "today we can't afford to be afraid of what we fear" can be applied to any struggle and provide inspiration to anyone attempting to face their fears in pursuit of something.

This is not a knock on Showman- I think it's easily one of the strongest songs on the album. Great fun and maybe it could be the 3rd single. We all know this band- they want another hit. If they want to have any prayer at that, they can't put out Showman in this climate. People in the general public and even some casual fans truly don't get Bono and the self deprecation, as well done and sincere as it is, will go right over their heads.

I love the whole album, but when I want an "SOE quick fix" I go right to RFD-Showman-Little things.

Red flag should be pushed next.

Showman after that.

I can't get over how much I love this song. There's nothing else on this album I'm over the moon about, but this song makes me feel things.

And I really don't understand any of them.

This was surprising to read, considering your location.
Well upon further research, the Red Flag that Bono references can have multiple meanings...

1. Red Flag Warning - Is a Weather term for very hot weather and possibly turbulent seas. don't quote me on this one. Hence, the repeated references to getting in the water and getting out of town during the worst weather where possibly no one would see you. Who knows?

I'm surprised to see how many people didn't know what a Red Flag Day was, but even my husband didn't and we live in LA. In fact this album came out right before we had a couple weeks in a row of Red Flag Days. Weird.

Very Springsteen-esque move to couch a depressing story in uplifting music (in this case modernized surf rock) to really drive the sting in. I'd love to hear a retro/less glittery mix of this. Is this the tour we'll finally get Drowning Man?

I loved it. I can't think of many other times U2 have done the depressing lyrics/pop song thing.

Last edited:
The biggest spine tingle moment on the album comes in this song, with that sweet, sweet bridge. High point of the album

THIS is the band I fell in love with in the early '80's. It never leaves my mind these days--a very pleasant earworm, to be sure!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

:wave: Hi, DL!

For me, this was one of the album’s biggest surprises. Bono’s vocals are really good, especially during the chorus. The rest of the band sounds fucking great on this one, it’s almost like they had recorded it a long time ago. Should be a rocker live, hope they give it a shot.

While most of the songs hit me right off, and have stayed in their various good to sublime categories, this one had to grow on me.

First few listens I thought much of it's production was ? too "thin" (but not in an intentional sparse way). And that reminded me of Boy which I was not very impressed with except for
IWF & OOC which I absolutely loved!

I did keep listening to it, got past that negative feeling; realized Adam's bass was just popping (!), and Edge's "red flag daaay" echo in the chorus was very War sounding and really enjoy it now.
(War was the first of their albums where I really liked to loved almost all the songs [unlike Oct, as well]).

I can imagine the crowd jumping, dancing while singing the chorus line!

Last edited:
How sad is it that this thread only has 8 pages, but the one for Get Out is up to 39?

Makes me ashamed to be part of this community, honestly.

How sad is it that this thread only has 8 pages, but the one for Get Out is up to 39?

I was surprised to see so little talk too, but it's probably more to do with the fact that most are on board with this tune..

GOOYOW is a little more divisive, and the single.. so, chalk it up to that

Back to Red Flag Day - nice to hear something a little more uptempo from the band. Bring some damned urgency to the mix.

This song seems to be the big grower for me.... I really like this song.

Yeah... Red Flag Day doesn t need to be talked about since it s almost perfection.
Get out is so bad that we need to talk.... it s like going To a shrink.

Ok I have something to say about Red Flag Day...
After many listens I'm sick of that bass line. The line itself is great, one of Adam's best is ages. But it's overused. All through the verses, through the break/musical bit, the outro, it's just omnipresent.
Added to that the chorus chord pattern is the same as the verses i think. It all just feels a bit... samey.
The bridge is great and breaks it up but then... back to the same.
It's an admittedly fussy thing to complain about - too much of a good thing - but I often skip the song now, wishing it had just a bit more variety to it.

Ok I have something to say about Red Flag Day...
After many listens I'm sick of that bass line. The line itself is great, one of Adam's best is ages. But it's overused. All through the verses, through the break/musical bit, the outro, it's just omnipresent.
Added to that the chorus chord pattern is the same as the verses i think. It all just feels a bit... samey.
The bridge is great and breaks it up but then... back to the same.
It's an admittedly fussy thing to complain about - too much of a good thing - but I often skip the song now, wishing it had just a bit more variety to it.

I'm glad I'm not alone with this opinion! I've never been a big fan of U2's War style "funk," Though I can tolerate it for the most part on Red Flag Day.

Overall, I do enjoy Bono's vocals in particular- he sounds amazing and has a great melody throughout the song.

I'm opposite of most on this site as I find Red Flag Day to be one of the weaker tracks on the very strong Songs of Experience. I don't dislike it, but it frustratingly does not go to the "next level." The first couple of verses and choruses are great, then the breakdown with Bono's incredible "No, No NOOOOO" vocals along with the band building up behind him feels like the song is about to explode, but then instead of continuing the build it drops back down to that funky bassline and guitar riff. For whatever reason, the best example I can thing of is The Strokes "Welcome to Japan." It has a funky bass and riff throughout the song, but instead of going out with a whimper like Red Flag Day.

Red Flag Day is both catchy and great! I understand the criticism about the repetitive nature of the song; however, it is a three-minute pop song. If the song went on for another minute or so, then I believe it would become problematic.

On the other hand, another good three-minute pop song, Summer of Love, while having a cool guitar riff, can get pretty annoying. This song and American Soul are the only two that I cannot listen to on repeat. I believe the guitar riff and the rhyming scheme employed, "freezing, leaving, believing" can be too repetitive and cause listener fatigue. Someone needs to remind Bono that everything does not have to rhyme and space in the music does not always have to be filled up with words.

This seems to be the song that survived the Police influences that Bono had referenced in an interview awhile back. Love the War nod with Adams bass but it also seems like a missed opportunity production wise to further focus in on the influence.

We've been under wildfire warnings lately and I keep hearing "Today is a Red Flag Day" on the news, so of course I immediately think of this song and then have it stuck in my head. :lol: Baby don't start a fire!

Back
Top Bottom