Red Flag Day Appreciation Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #46
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewau2 View Post
This song is a standout track.

What brings it to the next level is the contrast between the energetic music and the depressing lyrics once I figured out what the song was about.

A red flag day means don't go into the water because it is too dangerous. So I was wondering why the line "Baby let's get in the water." Why would someone risk it? Unless the alternative choice (not getting in the water) was even worse.

Then it clicked. This song goes well with Summer of Love. They are both about Syrian refugees trying to escape the death in their country. Red Flag Day is about a lover convincing his loved one to go in the water to leave their country even though they will probably die in the process. Hence why "I can feel your body shaking." I originally thought the shaking was like dancing, but when I figured out the song, I realized it is shaking in fear of death.

In interviews, Bono has spoken about the refugees getting on makeshift rafts to escape only to die..."Not even news today, So many lost in the sea last night, One word that the sea can’t say is no, no, no..."

The opening lines show the desperation of wanting to escape Syria to save his loved one.

"I am made of all that I'm afraid of
Most afraid of losing you
Hell's the season
You're the reason that I even dreamt of getting through"
This song also works well on a metaphorical level ....the danger of loving and losing someone.
__________________

Psychobabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #47
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Ok, I’m going to shut down this avenue of discussion before it spirals out of control. Please continue on discussing Red Flag Day.

I mean no offense Psycho, but I’m doing everyone a favor.
No offense taken....just a side comment not meant to derail. Back to talking about this great song.
__________________

Psychobabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,508
Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobabble View Post
This song also works well on a metaphorical level ....the danger of loving and losing someone.
I totally agree and I prefer to listen to it from that angle. Saying, relationships can get rough, like the water, but let’s swim out into it together, go beyond where we’ve been.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,508
Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobabble View Post
No offense taken....just a side comment not meant to derail. Back to talking about this great song.
There have been some thread killing Rush/U2 situations. Hate to see it again. Lol.

Ps. Love your posts. One of the best new additions around.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #50
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
There have been some thread killing Rush/U2 situations. Hate to see it again. Lol.

Ps. Love your posts. One of the best new additions around.
Appreciate that.
Psychobabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #51
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 742
Local Time: 12:38 AM
You mean that Red Flag Day doesn’t remind anyone of Tom Sawyer?

purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #52
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleblackeye View Post
You mean that Red Flag Day doesn’t remind anyone of Tom Sawyer?

You're going to get me in trouble now.
Psychobabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #53
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 742
Local Time: 12:38 AM
You only made a factual statement. Not sure what the problem is but I wasn’t around for the whole Rush thing. No clue what happened.

Anyway, let’s carry on....Never get tired of Red Flag Day!
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #54
Refugee
 
dudeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,235
Local Time: 07:38 PM
This is gonna be amazing live.
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:24 AM   #55
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 109
Local Time: 12:38 AM
I really like Little Things but it sounds like what I would expect a good U2 song to sound like at this stage of the band. This on the other hand is so fresh and sounds great, one of their best songs in a very long time IMO. Reminiscent of War days but brought right up to date. The chorus is so tight.
onemoresolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #56
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 107
Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersurge View Post
well upon further research, the red flag that bono references can have multiple meanings...

1. Red flag warning - is a weather term for very hot weather and possibly turbulent seas. Don't quote me on this one. Hence, the repeated references to getting in the water and getting out of town during the worst weather where possibly no one would see you. Who knows?

2. Red flag significance - very prominent with communist and socialist countries as a symbol of their nations. Could be referencing the oppressing leadership in the countries where all of these refugees are fleeing. Who knows?

Either way, its catchy as hell and i continue to sing it at the top of my lungs in my car


AE2D25C1-BCA2-4545-A1EA-AD513174EF09-300-0000002C56095FA2.JPG
allcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #57
Refugee
 
super fly guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dundee,scotland
Posts: 2,113
Local Time: 01:38 AM
This song gets better with every listen,was out walking the dog with my headphones on singing out loud to this. Then I realise there are people behind me giving me very funny looks!lol
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #58
Refugee
 
Flaming Friar Sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,749
Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewau2 View Post
This song is a standout track.

What brings it to the next level is the contrast between the energetic music and the depressing lyrics once I figured out what the song was about.

A red flag day means don't go into the water because it is too dangerous. So I was wondering why the line "Baby let's get in the water." Why would someone risk it? Unless the alternative choice (not getting in the water) was even worse.

Then it clicked. This song goes well with Summer of Love. They are both about Syrian refugees trying to escape the death in their country. Red Flag Day is about a lover convincing his loved one to go in the water to leave their country even though they will probably die in the process. Hence why "I can feel your body shaking." I originally thought the shaking was like dancing, but when I figured out the song, I realized it is shaking in fear of death.

In interviews, Bono has spoken about the refugees getting on makeshift rafts to escape only to die..."Not even news today, So many lost in the sea last night, One word that the sea can’t say is no, no, no..."

The opening lines show the desperation of wanting to escape Syria to save his loved one.

"I am made of all that I'm afraid of
Most afraid of losing you
Hell's the season
You're the reason that I even dreamt of getting through"


This. Part with ‘Not in the news today. So many lost in the sea last night’ seals it.
Flaming Friar Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #59
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 742
Local Time: 12:38 AM
Not sure if I will ever get tired of this song. One of their very best in a long time.
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #60
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge View Post
Well upon further research, the Red Flag that Bono references can have multiple meanings...

1. Red Flag Warning - Is a Weather term for very hot weather and possibly turbulent seas. don't quote me on this one. Hence, the repeated references to getting in the water and getting out of town during the worst weather where possibly no one would see you. Who knows?

2. Red Flag Significance - Very prominent with Communist and Socialist countries as a symbol of their nations. Could be referencing the oppressing leadership in the countries where all of these refugees are fleeing. Who knows?

Either way, its catchy as hell and I continue to sing it at the top of my lungs in my car
Some of the reviewers can't wrap their heads around how you can have a catchy "love song" like Summer of Love morph into Aleppo, and how a fun "pop" tune like RFD also morphs into Aleppo. They seem like clunky transitions to some of the reviewers, but the fact that they transition so easily is what makes these songs so brilliant. Once again, they've tricked listeners into thinking the songs are about one thing, when they are about another (or at least about more than one thing).
__________________

Alphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com