Red Flag Day Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep hitting repeat on this song when I listen to the album, so I guess it's my favorite.

I just listened to the entire album start to finish for the first time and this was definitely the track that stood out the most to me. Sounds like it could have easily been on Boy, October, or War. A great energy to it and really captures some of that rebellious spirit that U2 had in its very early days.

Gotta say I wasn't sold on Red Flag Day at first, but I've been converted. Adam's bass! The back up vocals, Edge's guitar-- but mostly, I could listen to Bono's "No, No, No" wail all day. Goosebumps. Unreal. Today's auto repeat with Summer of Love.

Two Hearts Beat As One guitar nod. :D

Hey, U2 seems pretty good at these sorts of mixed-feeling songs. What's that? You're rocking out to refugee drownings?

I’m still blown away by how this band has managed to successfully conjure (intentionally or not) a sound/style from over 30 years ago and make it sound new and exciting. I never expected to hear anything sounding so much like War in 2017. It’s just incredible. There are a lot of unexpected things on this album, actually.

I was just thinking that there was some kind of warning about red flags where I live (in a non-aquatic region) and remembered that a Red Flag Warning means there is a high risk of wildfires. This has nothing to do with the song, since Bono is talking about the sea, but there’s a Fun Fact for you, anyway.

I Red Flag Day and Summer of Love are my 2 favorites this week...can't get enough!

Allright... am I the only one having problems singing to this song and thinking what it's really about? Refugees? I can't see it as a love song. Yet, it's an aaaaaacing track! Gosh, what are they doing to us??!! Waaah!

I guess I'm an outlier because I feel like it's a stretch to say this has a Boy/War vibe. It still sounds like modern U2 sound to me.

Allright... am I the only one having problems singing to this song and thinking what it's really about? Refugees? I can't see it as a love song. Yet, it's an aaaaaacing track! Gosh, what are they doing to us??!! Waaah!

It's not a love song, but it's dressed up as one. "Baby, let's get in the water," as in now's the time to flee.

Early 80s U2 meets The Police. A fantastic song. It took me a few listens to appreciate this song because I let the early hype throw me, but after I listened a few more times this song really hit me. A lot of fun for such dark subject matter. I guess that dichotomy makes the song even more impressive.

Agreed. Only had two passes through the album so far, but Red Flag Day is definitely THE standout, to my ears anyway. Love it!

Feeling worryingly underwhelmed by much of the rest, so far -- but that will likely change as the tunes sink in better. I always think their newest album is their worst, and then it ends up being the only thing I play for the next 6 months. Patience, Daniel-san.

I think something that keeps Red Flag Day from sounding more like War-era U2 is the lack of more substantial echo/delay on Edge's guitar. The performance is also way more tight and controlled than the performances on War... back when U2 sounded less like a band of professional musicians and more like a force of nature.

Anyway, all this to say that I did an edit of the song, just to add some echo to the whole thing. This makes Edge's guitar sound a bit more like the '80s and also gives the drum beat a slightly more anarchic feeling. Not a huge change, but I like it. Check it out if you like: http://picosong.com/wFQwX

Last edited:
Is there anyone here who doesn't love this song?

Seems like the consensus pick for the #1 fav.

Of course, it won't be a single. We'll be lucky if it gets played live.

Inspiration for the writer and what it's really about aren't the same thing. If that makes any sense. If it's a love song to you, it's a love song. My first thought was it's about doing something dangerous that you shoudln't do because they tell you it's not safe and jumping off the cliff anyway....

Is there anyone here who doesn't love this song?

Seems like the consensus pick for the #1 fav.

Of course, it won't be a single. We'll be lucky if it gets played live.
I don't love it. I like it but I like it less than roughly half the album.
It's just a bit too...tight? Contained? Hard to explain.
I do think it would make a good single though.

I don't love it. I like it but I like it less than roughly half the album.
It's just a bit too...tight? Contained? Hard to explain.
I do think it would make a good single though.

I didn't like it at first, but I now love it. Bono's wails of "no" drew me in, totally makes the song. I'd say I like the low key/build up songs more generally on this album, but Red Flag is on the most played rotation with those songs. I really love this album.

Maybe you have weight standards akin to wraith like catwalk models. Bono looks like the thinnest he’s been in a long time.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom