Re: Eno and Lanois writing credits - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Re: Eno and Lanois writing credits

It's no secret that Eno and Lanois had a hand in the writing process this time around. In fact, the band made that clear when they began in Fez. They also made clear that none of the material from the previous Rick Rubin session made it to the album.
Here's the question: does this scenario lean towards
1) Eno and Lanois contributions to NLOTH were much more pronounced in terms of song ideas, creation of songs, chord changes, melodies, arrangements, and production as well. This was a first with them regarding working with U2.
2) Eno and Lanois contributed ideas the same way they had on such albums as UF, JT, AB, and ATYCB, but this time decided, or U2 decided, that they would receive real credit for what they brought to the table. There was a disagreement between Eno and U2 regarding his contributions to ATYCLB.

I think the theory could go either way. However, if it is indeed theory 2, does that mean that in effect Eno and Lanois have either always been "members" of u2, or that from this point on, they will be, at least in terms of writing in the studio.
Have we seen the last of "Words: Bono, Music:U2"?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Refugee

Well, they've certainly helped to "write" songs through production. Everyone knows that the songs morph through editing and different approaches. I guess U2 just wanted them on the ground floor this time around for a more organic approach.

It will be interesting what will happen after this tour and the Songs of Ascent record.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 PM
It seems to me that, since Eno and Lanois actually play instruments and sing on the previous albums and don't just adjust nobs on a recording panel, it's pretty likely they had very close to such a role on previous albums.

Good question, though. I'd like to know the answer. There were rumors of Eno being upset at not having received credit in the past. Was that ever confirmed?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think the difference this time around is that Eno and Lanois were invited to Fez during the initial writing sessions without any set plan for an album.

In other words they were there from stage 1 rather than coming in at stage 2 or 3.

I think Eno and Lanois probably always had a suggestion as to where the song should go or do, but U2 always had the original sketch, this time they allowed the two of them got to be involved in the sketching process.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:49 PM
It's pretty curious that Eno made such a big deal of the credits last time around.
I don't know if we could ever know how heavily involved they truly were for UF, TJT, Achtung or ATYCLB but I think U2 trusts them highly and their impact was probably hard to measure in any real respect.

I think perhaps it was as simple as, having some more cash makes life a little easier, all around (motivation and sheer 'credit due'). And if these studio sessions with E/L are as laborious (and fruitful) as they seem, then perhaps they just wanted to make it more worth their while. That's totally understandable IMO.

I hate to be a semantical ass (I usually am), but I'd chose somewhere in between 1 and 2.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
There were rumors of Eno being upset at not having received credit in the past. Was that ever confirmed?

I know there was thread about it here a few months back maybe. I think there was sour grapes on Eno's part but eventually it was resolved.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Good question, though. I'd like to know the answer. There were rumors of Eno being upset at not having received credit in the past. Was that ever confirmed?
That came from a 2006 article in Q Magazine. He absolutely confirmed he had been disappointed/mad about not being credited on ATYCLB...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I don't know if we could ever know how heavily involved they truly were for UF, TJT, Achtung or ATYCLB but I think U2 trusts them highly and their impact was probably hard to measure in any real respect.
True.
I have been thinking lately, however, about the UF doc, the JT classic albums doc, and the U2 at the end of the world book.
These things offer glimpses, however slim, at what these 2 might be doing with the band.
I think there's a pretty huge step between War and UF, and I'm wondering how much these guys are responsible for that.

BTW, after listening to NLOTH for over a month now, I'm of the opinion that while superior to Bomb and ATYCLB, there's not a tremendous amount of sonic difference between all three. So to me that sort of counter balances how much weight Eno/Lanois' contributions might have been.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:49 AM
I think I'll never really understand how this band 'works' both internally and with their collaborators

especially the band's relationship with Eno baffles me
it's a bit like 2 children fighting for each other's attention
sulking and all

always seemed to me that with All that you can't ..... Eno finally got committed to the project the way U2 always wanted him too
and Eno must have felt a bit disappointed that this involvement didn't get credited more

don't think we'll ever really know though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:49 AM
1)

The credits on U2's albums always say "Lanois: guitar" or "Eno: keyboards and programming" but this was the first time they've been co-writing the songs.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 08:49 PM
If you listen to Apollo, which Eno recorded with Lanois in 1983, you can definitely hear an incredibly obvious sonic link to The Unforgettable Fire. I'd say that the influence that Eno and Lanois had on UF can't be overstated.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
If you listen to Apollo, which Eno recorded with Lanois in 1983, you can definitely hear an incredibly obvious sonic link to The Unforgettable Fire. I'd say that the influence that Eno and Lanois had on UF can't be overstated.
Yeah, I'm in agreement.
It would be interesting to hear any demos of the tunes on UF before the studio versions.
Then again, I have the feeling most of those tunes were written in the studio.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Then again, I have the feeling most of those tunes were written in the studio.
It's possible but I somehow doubt it... I just don't think U2 was quite at that status where they can afford that kind of studio time, but who knows
Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know either but it's cool to watch this if you haven't seen it in awhile:

YouTube - U2 - Unforgettable Fire (documentary) pt 1

Incredible that in the first 2 minutes Bono plays a pretty cool guitar riff, plays some bass, sings Pride, and gives a nice message about songwriting. Plus, he looks so great.

That's before we even see any of the other 3.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:49 PM
that's one hell of a mullet. but pretty cool. funny to me what he says about MLK still sounds like something he would say today.