Re: Eno and Lanois writing credits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wishlist:

--Rent out a mansion (or use their own) in Dublin for a year
--Get Danny and Brian to produce / write
--Tell Bono NO POLITICS for a year. Assuming this be their last album, he can go full on after it's done
--Have the band be together as much as possible during recording, no more sending files to each other
--Release album after 14 months (12 recording, 2 months to get the mixing and order complete)
--Bono is forced to become a starving poet
--Ban any classic rock from reaching Edge's ears

NO TEDDER

Yes to all of this!

My wishlist:

--Rent out a mansion (or use their own) in Dublin for a year
--Get Danny and Brian to produce / write
--Tell Bono NO POLITICS for a year. Assuming this be their last album, he can go full on after it's done
--Have the band be together as much as possible during recording, no more sending files to each other
--Release album after 14 months (12 recording, 2 months to get the mixing and order complete)
--Bono is forced to become a starving poet
--Ban any classic rock from reaching Edge's ears

NO TEDDER

Also, another divorce. Maybe a drug habit.

Good point. Also, what's the current equivalent of 1990 Berlin?

Excellent question. I guess it depends on what kind of mood/theme they are going for? With Berlin it was about the transition into the new, breaking free from history. What would they need/want now as nearly 60-year old men?

Hot spots of strife/change seem to be Jerusalem? Mexico City? Athens? Lima? I’m told Warsaw is the new Berlin ... São Paulo?

As an aside, I really wish they had done some Tokyo sessions for Pop as they discussed at the end of 1993. Pop might have come out a clearer thought.

I don't think you could get the band together in a remote location for more than a few weeks. Larry and Adam especially seem to prefer their home lives now (and art). Nothing wrong with that at all as it's their life.

That's why I thought if you could have a local area and/or studio where they can still enjoy the comforts of life, that would be best.

They did go off to Africa for NLOTH, but that was over a decade ago.

Getting this band together and jamming like they used to may produce that magic their albums have been lacking. SOE is a nice album. I enjoy it. It's just so neat and tidy.

They also need to see an idea all the way through. SOI I think did that. SOE seems to be some letters, America, and then death.

Whatever the next concept is, no more America influence or sidetracking to something that has nothing to do with the idea

If there is an album left in them, I'd like them to find a nice cottage in County Wicklow to record.

No exotic places. Let the hills be their muse.

And yes, no fucking lyrics about America, ideas, or Burmese people under house arrest.

If they need inspiration, be inspired by their home land.

Last edited:
If there is an album left in them, I'd like them to find a nice cottage in County Wicklow to record.

No exotic places. Let the hills be their muse.

And yes, no fucking lyrics about America, ideas, or Burmese people under house arrest.

If they need inspiration, be inspired by their home land.

This! I've been thinking this for awhile and have been surprised that they haven't dipped into the rich Irish musical culture more often.

I've been grappling with the band's approach to writing and recording and have thought many times, as many of you also have, "stop worrying about hits and make the music you want to make." Then I turn around and think "maybe they are making the music they want to make, but it seems like they have to FORCE the relevant pop thing so much, and need so much production and writing help, it seems unnatural. Wouldn't an artist notice that?? It's such a weird dynamic of " can they still do it" or " do they still want it bad enough artistically "?? I just don't know!

Back
Top Bottom