Rating songs SOE - 2.5 months after release - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 07:10 AM
The little things that give you away 9.5
Red flag day 9

Love is all we have left 8.5
Landlady 8.5
Love is bigger than anything in its way 8.5
The showman (little more better) 8
13 (There is a light) 8

Lights of Home (Beck Remix) 7.5
Summer of love 7

Lights of home 6.5

Get out of your own way 5
The blackout 5
You're the best thing about me 4
Book of Your Heart 4

American soul 1 (in contention for the worst U2 song ever)

jphelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Little Things 9
Red Flag Day 8.5
Love is All We Have Left 8.5

The Best Thing 7
Landlady 7
Blackout 6.5
Summer of Love 6.5
Lights of Home 6
Showman 6
Get Out Of Your Own Way 5.5
Love is Bigger 4

13 3.5
American Soul 3

Is probably where I am at the moment. The album is very similar to SoI in the randomness of the collection of songs, a lack of cohesion and purpose, but nothing is irredeemably awful, yet nothing is classic.

Love is All I Have Left, I feel will become my favourite song from the album. It keeps on growing on me. It's a keeper. Love it

intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Great /classic u2

Love is all we have left
Lights of home
Red flag day
Little things
Blackout

Good U2

Summer of love
Landlady
You're the best thing
Get out of your own way

Weak U2

American soul
Showman
Love is bigger...
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Played it earlier for first time in months, sounded better than it did last time I heard it back in December. I still think the first half of the album is much stronger than the second- Blackout and Little Things aside it's all a lump of Coldplay style blandness.
djparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Imagine if the album versions of Lights of Home and You're the Best Thing about Me were replaced with the strings version and the acoustic version? It would add more diversity to the album.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Rating songs SOE - 2.5 months after release

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Imagine if the album versions of Lights of Home and You're the Best Thing about Me were replaced with the strings version and the acoustic version? It would add more diversity to the album.

Agree with the strings for LOH 100% as it’s the superior version but acoustic Best Thing, while surely adding a more diverse aspect to the album, would be a huge miss. Best Thing is a decent song because of all the layers of sound going on but the acoustic version strips everything interesting about the song and puts more focus on the lyrics, which are not strong but what does a Cosmo know

Also, I would have opened the album with the strings version of LOH and then went into he Blackout and removed LIAWHL al together.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Agree with the strings for LOH 100% as it’s the superior version but acoustic Best Thing, while surely adding a more diverse aspect to the album, would be a huge miss. Best Thing is a decent song because of all the layers of sound going on but the acoustic version strips everything interesting about the song and puts more focus on the lyrics, which are not strong but what does a Cosmo know

Also, I would have opened the album with the strings version of LOH and then went into he Blackout and removed LIAWHL al together.
In terms of layers of sound, I've always love the Sci-Fi Soul Mix and wish they had kept that on the album rather than re-recording at the 11th hour with the version we got. I actually love the song unlike a lot of people here, it's just I find the Sci-Fi version to have a lot of interesting things going on in it musically.

Totally agree about the Strings version of Lights of Home--far superior. It has the tension and the drama that goes with the sound is perfect for the song. The album version, with it's acoustic guitar riff, is just too impotent, too bland. I'm surprised at how many people prefer the album version yet don't like U2's live acoustic sets. It's not that I don't like the riff, but if they were going to rip off Haim, I wish Edge would have ripped off the full octane electric version like Haim does live.

Love Is All We Have Left is a fantastic opener...it should go anywhere! Personally I find it to be the best album opener they've had since Zooropa, but that's just me. I love the slow, ambient start to the album (and the live shows). I agree that The Blackout should be early in the album. I since the album came out I have listened to the same as the e&I Tour running order LIAWHL --> The Blackout --> Lights of Home (Strings) and it flows wonderfully. The Blackout just doesn't fit very well sandwiched between Landlady and Love is Bigger.
ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #53
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
In terms of layers of sound, I've always love the Sci-Fi Soul Mix and wish they had kept that on the album rather than re-recording at the 11th hour with the version we got. I actually love the song unlike a lot of people here, it's just I find the Sci-Fi version to have a lot of interesting things going on in it musically.

Totally agree about the Strings version of Lights of Home--far superior. It has the tension and the drama that goes with the sound is perfect for the song. The album version, with it's acoustic guitar riff, is just too impotent, too bland. I'm surprised at how many people prefer the album version yet don't like U2's live acoustic sets. It's not that I don't like the riff, but if they were going to rip off Haim, I wish Edge would have ripped off the full octane electric version like Haim does live.

Love Is All We Have Left is a fantastic opener...it should go anywhere! Personally I find it to be the best album opener they've had since Zooropa, but that's just me. I love the slow, ambient start to the album (and the live shows). I agree that The Blackout should be early in the album. I since the album came out I have listened to the same as the e&I Tour running order LIAWHL --> The Blackout --> Lights of Home (Strings) and it flows wonderfully. The Blackout just doesn't fit very well sandwiched between Landlady and Love is Bigger.
Totally with you on Love Is All We Have Left. Great lush production with the fluttering strings and Bono's crooning is perfect. I definitely think the song has done something that U2 haven't achieved to that scale since the 90s - using the studio and the producer as more or less an extra member of the band/alternative route as opposed to trying to ham in all 4 band members, sometimes to the detriment of the song.

Like you I think it's their best album opener since Zooropa and I would love to see a full album with Andy Barlow as the main producer and involved in all songs. Certainly a full 180 from the scratchy, hollow and lifeless production on Songs of Innocence (thanks Danger Mouse). I think there's wonderful potential and atmospheres there between them and Barlow, one that I think would make them sound fresh, alternative and yes, relevant once more.
ChurchBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #54
The Fly

1. Love is All We Have Left - 9/10
2. Lights of Home - 6/10
Lights of Home (Strings) - 7/10
3. You're the Best Thing About Me - 6.5/10
You're the Best Thing About Me (Kygo) - 6.5/10
4. Get Out of Your Own Way - 9/10
5. American Soul - 5/10
6. Summer of Love - 7.5/10
7. Red Flag Day - 9/10
8. The Showman - 7/10
9. The Little Things That Give You Away - 9/10
10. Landlady - 7.5/10
11. The Blackout - 8/10
12. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 10/10
13. (There is a Light) - 8.5/10
14. Book of Your Heart - 8/10

Average for Songs of Experience = apprx. 8/10
Eamon696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #55
Refugee

1. Love is All We Have Left 6.5
2. Lights of Home 7.5
Lights of Home (Strings) - 8.5
3. You're the Best Thing About Me - 1
You're the Best Thing About Me (Kygo) - 0
4. Get Out of Your Own Way - 5
5. American Soul - 4
6. Summer of Love - 7.5
7. Red Flag Day - 8.5
8. The Showman - 8
9. The Little Things That Give You Away - 10
10. Landlady - 9
11. The Blackout - 6
12. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 9
13. (There is a Light) - 10
14. Book of Your Heart - 9.5
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

To be honest this album hasn’t aged as well as I was hoping it would. There are some very fine songs like red flag day and summer of love. And some very enjoyable songs like love is all we have left. Except for one song! Book of your heart continues to floor me!! I loved it instantly when I heard it and I love it even more now! This song for me is up there with some of the best u2 90’s (my favorite U2 era!!). I can safely say it is my favorite u2 2000’s era song and there are many great songs from this era. As for the album as a whole it’s OK, not terrible but not great. I enjoy it but I don’t see myself playing this album much 10 years down the road. I still play achtung baby once or twice a month and to this day I love that album as if it was brand new music! If I had to choose between SOI and SOE, ide probably choose SOI
dabiggestu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But with that said the songs from SOE are still enjoyable, I just feel that some songs are missing something that I don’t quite know. It just doesn’t have that “classic u2” feel I guess.
dabiggestu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
But with that said the songs from SOE are still enjoyable, I just feel that some songs are missing something that I don’t quite know. It just doesn’t have that “classic u2” feel I guess.
I have a new appreciation for Love Is All We Have Left after seeing it live...and The Blackout and Red Flag Day still move me...but overall I can sit through the album as a whole w/o feeling I need to skip songs...
Reggie Thee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 05:10 AM
the trifecta of Best Thing, Get Out and American Soul is as bad a 1-2-3 punch as they have ever thrown. OK maybe not quite as bad as the heaping stinking pile of dung from NLOTH, but it does make the album a challenge to listen all the way through.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
the trifecta of Best Thing, Get Out and American Soul is as bad a 1-2-3 punch as they have ever thrown. OK maybe not quite as bad as the heaping stinking pile of dung from NLOTH, but it does make the album a challenge to listen all the way through.
I like Get Out more than most on this forum, but that stretch certainly is the album's low point. It's a case of reaching for a "hit" at the expense of the album's concept (the whole "write as if you are dead" thing). I'm also not as big a fan of Summer of Love & Red Flag Day as many here, but I think everything from The Showman through 13 is pretty great. The opening duo is good as well, but I actually prefer the strings version of Light of Home. The album version is a little empty.

superchuk5 is offline   Reply With Quote