Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
For me it's similar to BD and COBL. Not that's a bad thing, those song are great, but Invisible's chorus is not as catchy, in fact it goes nowhere. Rated 6.

Invisible has a far better chorus and is a far better song than City of Blinding Lights. The chorus has more meaning and power than COBL's. I also think it's catchier.

After nearly a week of listening to it, I still believe Invisible is one of their very best songs of the 2000's. I'm going with an 8.

In terms of chorus catchiness I definitely place it above COBL.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm completely with Josh82 on this one. I gave it a 6. The chorus actually sounds like a pre-chorus and it could have gone so much higher. Whatever emotion they build (which in the case of this song, incidentally, is minimal) falls flat during the chorus. A similar thing happens on NLOTH on the song of the same name. On that track, they actually go DOWN for the chorus. However, there's actually redemption in that song since the verses and middle 8 are loud, energy-filled blasts of emotion. "Invisible" doesn't have much going for it.

Feel like giving it a 9 because I'm loving it after many listens but I will say 8.

Great single material. Catchy as hell - great chorus.

Looking forward to what they come up with for rest of the album. But if this is the "Boots" of this record, then I'm excited.

Feel like giving it a 9 because I'm loving it after many listens but I will say 8.

Looking forward to what they come up with for rest of the album. But if this is the "Boots" of this record, then I'm excited.

I was thinking the exact same over the last day or so. Is Invisible the Boots of this record? I know that all of us have been reduced to nervous wrecks waiting for a video, Fallon, a pie in the sky surprise release, at least I have been, so I have been nitpicking this song. And yes, it does sound like the Boots of this record insofar that it is catchy, meant to draw the non-u2 crowd in and has a simple pop-y song structure. But it has got sooo much more substance than boots or vertigo for that matter and that makes me very hungry for the new album. And back to square one.

Bee tee dub, I am not saying Boots was particularly catchy but that the band were hoping it was. I would say that its the vertigo of this album and that gets me even more excited. Cant believe this is not the lead single especially after the quality of the last two lead singles

Intro: LOVE, reminds me of 80s New Order, or something new by M83.

Verse: the subtle synth darting in and out is nice

1:25: main melody motif in synth is nice, but the shadowy vocals are super sweet. Right from middle 80s Psych Furs or OMD. They need to play a bigger part in the song!!

2:37 The bridge. Not great. U2 doesn't build bridges very well. Angel of Harlem is one exception.

3:06 The "there is no them" coda is OK, but this could really benefit from a remix where the "crowd" backing vocals are stronger, like in the SB ad, or in this song:
Youngblood Hawke - We Come Running - YouTube

That's it. Overall an 8, but like almost every U2 song I've heard in the last 20 years, I HEAR the potential for a 10. They just don't quite get there. Beautiful Day is a good example. That surf guitar riff is freaking amazing, but you just can't hear it; it's just so low in the mix.

5/10

Basically "Beautiful day" on steroids.The first 30 seconds gave me hopes,but then the chorus comes in and wash those hopes away.

....but it does have the potential to work well live,regardless.

Great song with a lot of nice different sounds from Edge hidden in the mix. But I wished they had pushed the electronica in this song a little further. It starts pretty bold but soon gets a little to familiar to be a real departure for U2. But great lyrics and a song I'll be listening to a lot. For me a solid 8 out of 10 and if the start of the song is a little taste of things to come for the new record this will be a great year for U2 fans.

It starts pretty bold but soon gets a little to familiar to be a real departure for U2. But great lyrics and a song I'll be listening to a lot.

Yes, it's a great song and I'll listen alot too, but yeah....the album will (like I've said before and will say it again just to piss off some here :) ) will probably be ATYCLB 2.

And that would be ok with me at this point to be honest.

Poop feels the same way...

Sent via poop shoot

Boots was in my humble opinion not even worth mentioning as a U2 song. Invisible is great but a little on the safe side. So I have to agree with Mr. Poop here.

I liked Boots at first...but with time I saw it for what it was...a slightly alternative rewrite of Vertigo. NLOTH was exciting to hear at first, but really I only go back to Breathe and Magnificent any more...:sigh:...and NLOTH2

Back
Top Bottom