Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
Reception at this point is still much more positive than it was for Boots. You can't possibly call this much of a hangover.

Honestly at the moment I might bump it up to 7.

But I'm also drunk and feeling generous towards the world, sooo...

Oh come on Vlad, surely you've given it about 3 or 4 because of lack of Richey Edwards. :wink:

Reception at this point is still much more positive than it was for Boots. You can't possibly call this much of a hangover.

Was Boots always disliked around here? Or did it start strong then drop?

I've swayed from dropping Invisible down to a 6 when I listen to older U2 music and see how much more they are capable for, to bumping it up to an 8 when I'm feeling generous (or comparing it to OL). And when I consider where the band is today, the song is pretty damn good.

So given all that, I think I'll just stick with my 7, which feels about right.

Speaking of OL, what about a RTS for that one Dig?

Was Boots always disliked around here? Or did it start strong then drop?

The last time we discussed this, it kind of seemed like everybody remembered it how they wanted to remember it. :lol:

The way I recall it, everybody was just really excited to finally have some new U2, and although there were mixed emotions, emphasis was initially on the positives (the "let me in the sound" bit for instance), but the more people digested the song, the more negative things got - especially because we fairly quickly got some other new songs that were better. Magnificent got perhaps the most positive immediate reception, closely followed by MOS. Obviously MOS seems to have now come out as the most popular track long-term.

I think at this same point after its debut, this was the time where the opinion on Boots lessened somewhat. Of course, the first day or two there was quite a lot of excitement.

In comparison, Invisible has fared far better in that aspect and people are still mostly positive about it. Most of the people who are negative about it are those who've been negative about their output for years.

At 223 votes (the new votes include two 0s [!]), Invisible has slipped substantially to 105th place with a mean of 7.4215246637. It is just below Daddy's Gonna Pay and just above Miracle Drug.

Where can I find these standings? :reject: Would be interesting to see.

Where can I find these standings? :reject: Would be interesting to see.

Here's Rate the Song: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/final-results-rate-the-song-series-2011-2012-a-213688.html

Here's Survivor: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/best-song-survivor-results-215392.html

Rate the Song has a giant results PDF. The link to it doesn't work at the moment, because it's hosted on my Dropbox account, and Dropbox shut down my ability to share files publicly temporarily after I used my account to distribute Invisible. However, the basic results are in the thread.

Here's Rate the Song: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/final-results-rate-the-song-series-2011-2012-a-213688.html

Here's Survivor: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/best-song-survivor-results-215392.html

Rate the Song has a giant results PDF. The link to it doesn't work at the moment, because it's hosted on my Dropbox account, and Dropbox shut down my ability to share files publicly temporarily after I used my account to distribute Invisible. However, the basic results are in the thread.

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting would be to take that data and try and rank album preference based off of song ranking instead of people trying to rank albums. That gets pretty difficult.

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting would be to take that data and try and rank album preference based off of song ranking instead of people trying to rank albums. That gets pretty difficult.

I did that. It's in the PDF file. :)

I give it a solid 8/10.

I have listened to it regularly over the past 6 days and not only am I not tired of it(I was with Boots a bit) but I find myself humming it and wanting to hear it again.

Being that this is named "Red EDIT", I strongly believe that the album cut will have a slightly longer intro(love the intro btw) a slightly longer ending, an additional couple of lines and perhaps the solo will be slightly extended. All told up to an additional 30-60 seconds, which is a lot considering its a 3 min 40 sec song.

With that said, my feeling is that this is going to be more like an "All I want is You" single, in that the album cut is better(vs a "Please" or "All because of You" single, where the single was better than the album cut).

IF that is the case, I can see this song going to a 9/10. Folks, this is a really good tune!

Yeah i agree. I think the verse about sleeping at the train station in london will add even more to the song lyric wise aswell

My favorite lyrics are(don't kill me that they are not spot on): "all those frozen days and your frozen ways, they melt away, your face like snow"

To me it says: all those days(winter/cold) I spent with you following your hard headed ways(your way or the highway) they are now melting away and will be forgotten and oh by the way, so is my memory of you(your face like snow....melting away)

I know Bono mentioned its about his father but these lyrics can be about a friend, girlfriend, teacher, boss or anyone who didn't believe in you. It's like, " you don't believe in me or think I'm any good....well, just wait, you will see what I really am capable of achieving.

Man, this is a good tune!

Back
Top Bottom